Marwan Koukash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, judging by the Chron's current relationship with the club, expect a deal to be done before the end of the week.

Have I missed something?

Only a lifetime of mutual antipathy between the paper and the club. :coffee1:

Stll more money to be made in football than in Rugby League, bigger profile sport fact Rugby League as a smaller pool of players its easy to spend a few million in that sport.

I would say a team like Salford has more potential to make money than Latics. Sky TV deal, bigger catchment area, less local competition.

All that with a salary cap to keep the wage bill respectable. Only fear would be losing Super League license.

Speaking with Mike yesterday, whilst he said he wouldn't put his last tenner on the take over being a certainty, he did say he'd put his mortgage on Koukash' interest in Oldham as genuinely serious.

Corney said he will only sell to the right man, and I trust he will stick to his word, if Koukash takes over I believe he will be the right man for us.

He'll sell to whoever offers the most money. Understandably in truth.

Corney said he will only sell to the right man, and I trust he will stick to his word, if Koukash takes over I believe he will be the right man for us.

I am sure SC shares your view, here is his quote to Mike Keegan; "Mr Corney said:

“We have had discussions with a number of people about buying the club and for one reason or another nothing has materialised.

“I know Marwan, I like him and I think he would be fantastic for a club like Oldham.

“He is a genuine sports fan as we have seen with his passion for horse racing and his passion for rugby league.

“He is a friend of the north west and when he does something he does it properly as we have seen with Salford.

“I would welcome his involvement. He is exactly the type of person I would like to be interested in the club.”

We do have to be careful though, we have been here before. I'd say we need to be more thorough in sussing him out.

At face value though, there is much he could do.

Edited by singe

Could be an interesting turn of events if it comes off. Found this an interesting quote: "Once I get the football club I will definitely have my own TV channel which will cover my three sports; racing, rugby and football." Guess it saves us waiting for BBC to spit out 10 second clips at 11 each Saturday night.

Surely his hands would be tied on what he could show with Sky and the Beeb owning most the rights to football league fixtures.

Not sure how many people would pay to watch our reserves four game a season.

Just in..

Matt Chambers@Matt_Chambers_ 33s

Story on Koukash in today's paper. Noises out of Boundary Park are they feel it is a long shot. #oafc

I don't get this, Koukash says he is in the process of buying a football club ( Latics according to Matt Chambers) and hopes to complete before the start of the season or within a couple of months.

The club now say it's a long shot......is it a long shot that it is actually Latics or a long shot that the deal will go through? If Koukash is serious and has spoken to Corney why should it be a long shot, are we asking for too much money or do they want to keep it all quiet and under the radar?

Corney has been quoted as saying he likes Koukash and that he is just the right type of guy he would like to get involved with the club so why the negative comments!

This is two rumours in quick succession about the sale of the club...maybe Corney's just trying to stir up some interest

the tv channel sounds a bit outlandish but I'd sign up if we could get replays of all our games (x amount of hours afterwards - whatever the likes of Liverpool/Chelsea/Man United/Celtic do now) and various interviews/old footage etc. It'd have to be an online job surely?!

Well whatever happens I hope we do get taken over, off the pitch the whole club has become stale, stagnant and unprofessional. Even if we don't get the messiah pumping in millions we all want, it would be great to have someone shake it up behind the scenes and make us look like a professional football club again.

I don't get this, Koukash says he is in the process of buying a football club ( Latics according to Matt Chambers) and hopes to complete before the start of the season or within a couple of months.

The club now say it's a long shot......is it a long shot that it is actually Latics or a long shot that the deal will go through? If Koukash is serious and has spoken to Corney why should it be a long shot, are we asking for too much money or do they want to keep it all quiet and under the radar?

Corney has been quoted as saying he likes Koukash and that he is just the right type of guy he would like to get involved with the club so why the negative comments!

This is two rumours in quick succession about the sale of the club...maybe Corney's just trying to stir up some interest

The problem that I can see is that Koukash or whoever not only needs to buy the club from Corney but he then needs to buy the ground/land from Corney plus the other two. Koukash wants to buy us, I think that can now be accepted as given, if Latics say it's a long shot then either a)it's just to quieten things down a little while the sale is worked through or b)the club part of the deal isnt an issue but the ground is.

Anyway, will now try to stop stressing about it and over analysing or I'll have no hair by the start of the season.

He'll sell to whoever offers the most money. Understandably in truth.

He might do/he might not. It's not really certain until he sells the club.

Though money is not the only motivator here, if it ends badly for OAFC, its not going to do his reputation any good in the business world.

The Peter Risdale syndrome.

The opposite in many ways. Ridsdale loves (over)spending other people's money, sucks up to the authorities and has no backbone.

From his exploits so far in racing and with Salford RL, I'd say Koukash is willing to spend his own money on sporting interests, isn't scared of saying what he thinks and will take it up with the authorities if he thinks they're wrong. Also his interests in racing seem to go further than just wanting to own winners - he gets involved in the sport itself, organises charity events and the like.

He's a maverick, it could be a rocky ride, but sod it - if he has the investment and a realistic plan I'm in.

MARWAN Koukash has held talks over a possible purchase of Athletic.

The millionaire racehorse owner, who took over as Salford City Reds supremo earlier this year, has revealed that he wants to buy a mystery club in the North West within the next two months and “take it to the next level”.

The club in question is Athletic. But while a deal is thought to be a long way off, current owner Simon Corney said he would welcome someone of the go-getting nature of Dr Koukash (54) ultimately taking over the reins.

“I had a meeting with Marwan four or five weeks ago,” Corney told the Chronicle, speaking about the Palestine-born magnate who has been based on Merseyside for four decades.

“Nothing more came of it then, but I think Marwan is a fantastic guy and the sort of person a club like this needs.

“When it comes to his sport, he likes to makes things happen and gets things done.”

Koukash offered no comment on the Athletic link when contacted by the Chronicle.

But he had revealed to the BBC World Service the club he wanted to add to his sporting portfolio required “that little bit” of extra investment to lift it.

“There is a club I’m looking at which hopefully we will be able to secure within the next month or two,” Koukash said. “I’m not going to reveal which, but it will complement my interest in racing and rugby.

Earlier this month, controversial ex-Chester owner Stephen Vaughan came forward as being interested in buying Athletic, a development which worried many supporters.

The Koukash interest has been met with more warmth from fans -

So that'll be a rehash of Mike Keegan's article then all of which was already in the public domain

Edited by oafcprozac

MARWAN Koukash has held talks over a possible purchase of Athletic.

The millionaire racehorse owner, who took over as Salford City Reds supremo earlier this year, has revealed that he wants to buy a mystery club in the North West within the next two months and “take it to the next level”.

The club in question is Athletic. But while a deal is thought to be a long way off, current owner Simon Corney said he would welcome someone of the go-getting nature of Dr Koukash (54) ultimately taking over the reins.

“I had a meeting with Marwan four or five weeks ago,” Corney told the Chronicle, speaking about the Palestine-born magnate who has been based on Merseyside for four decades.

“Nothing more came of it then, but I think Marwan is a fantastic guy and the sort of person a club like this needs.

“When it comes to his sport, he likes to makes things happen and gets things done.”

Koukash offered no comment on the Athletic link when contacted by the Chronicle.

But he had revealed to the BBC World Service the club he wanted to add to his sporting portfolio required “that little bit” of extra investment to lift it.

“There is a club I’m looking at which hopefully we will be able to secure within the next month or two,” Koukash said. “I’m not going to reveal which, but it will complement my interest in racing and rugby.

Earlier this month, controversial ex-Chester owner Stephen Vaughan came forward as being interested in buying Athletic, a development which worried many supporters.

The Koukash interest has been met with more warmth from fans - So that'll be a rehash of Mike Keegan's article then....

thought there was going to be some bad news with his tweet this morning but its basically just mike keegans article tarted up

The long shot issue I reckon is Corney's paymasters in New York over-valuing the club. At the end of the day, until Blitz gets what he deems to be a fair price the club will stay as it is.....

I expect that this will kick this opportunity into the long grass, as it apparently has with previous offers.

My hope is that Blitz, who isn't stupid, views this opportunity in terms of what return he is likely to get, rather than in terms of what he has spent and what he would like to get.

I expect that this will kick this opportunity into the long grass, as it apparently has with previous offers.

My hope is that Blitz, who isn't stupid, views this opportunity in terms of what return he is likely to get, rather than in terms of what he has spent and what he would like to get.

The land value hit rock bottom and wiil only appreciate over the next few years....it would be worth much on the open market if the club were to move or fold.

TTA'S may have originally come in with good intentions but now have other priorities and see it only as a money making venture. Corney apart I don't tthey give two hoots about the future of the football club and this is going to prove a massive obstacle to any interested parties.

I hope I'm wrong but unless someone is willing to pay over the odds for the land we are fu**** !!