Marwan Koukash

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it about Salford and Oldham ?

They wanted to merge the two clubs during the Rugby league super league startup. Then Salford choose Oldham rugby league to become their feeder club just last year and now this?

I just don't see the natural connection :(

If Marwan is to take over, surely he would stump up a few quid to pay for the pre season overseas training camp anonymously. There are quite a few clubs he could be talking about.

Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday could need too much spending to take them higher.

Coventry, Preston, Sheffield Utd. and Wolves wouldn't.

The fact he says that the club used to be massive points to those four. Although we spent three seasons in the Premier League no-one could say we were massive.

If Marwan is to take over, surely he would stump up a few quid to pay for the pre season overseas training camp anonymously. There are quite a few clubs he could be talking about.

Blackburn and Sheffield Wednesday could need too much spending to take them higher.

The fact he says that the club used to be massive points to those four. Although we spent three seasons in the Premier League no-one could say we were massive.

What on earth is prompting you to doubt this stor y?

In 2013, Koukash took over the loss-making Super League club, Salford City Reds. His interest in rugby league began when he went to watch St Helens matches with his family. He was encouraged to take ownership of Salford by the Rugby Football League chief executive Nigel Wood, who had met Koukash on a flight to Dubai.

If he doesn't own the club why on earth would he pay for a pre-season tour??

Once the deal goes through he can pay for everything, until then he is not a fan he is a business man and it makes no sense to give money away

Some may say if he does invest then he is giving his money away

Edited by palmer1

Although in not getting carried away, paying for something before you've agreed to buy the club may be jumping the gun. Yes I would agree that the 'huge' quote doesn't fit us, however I think that it could be just bigging us up. Relatively speaking we were huge to our current standing.

Although in not getting carried away, paying for something before you've agreed to buy the club may be jumping the gun. Yes I would agree that the 'huge' quote doesn't fit us, however I think that it could be just bigging us up. Relatively speaking we were huge to our current standing.

My thoughts exactly. If he is to buy the club, one way to get the fans on board is to come out with a comment like this.

He'd look a bit of a fool saying "they're a tiny club with very little potential".

Here here. Even the most ardent Corney supporters can't deny we've stagnated in the last 10 years (bar 1 season). There's loads of people who don't go to games anymore who, with a bit of tweaking, will come back. A new stand and a change of ownership will no doubt rejuvenate things.

To hear someone talk about spending money and winning is a breath of fresh air. Probably end up being bollocks but I'm game at the moment.

10 years ago, the prospect of a rich businessman buying your club would be greeted with whole hearted support and celebration.

But the Chris Moore saga has made many (many) Latics fans nervous. The same is said for a few others, so whilst its not wise to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth - its obvious that we do,

TTA, and latterly SC - have created a low budget, mostly stable, third tier side. There however is no real prospect of the club achieving much more than the occasional cup upset, potentially a LDV win and flirting with the Play-offs every now an again. We are more likely to go down than up. Unless we find an investor.

So do you gamble - we potentially have the said investor. But it brings with it all the risk and uncertainty that comes with it.

For me? I'd say yes. More than a decade of 3rd tier football is wearing thin....

Not saying this to be pedantic, but I've just checked out of interest to see how long we've been in this division, the upcoming season will be our 17th. RANK!!

If the interest is genuine and Koukash does want to move the club forward in a sustainable way, us fans can make this happen by making Corney and know in no uncertain terms that we no longer want stagnation and death by a thousand cuts in as vocal way as possible.

The club wants a future, under Corney we have a very limited future whether he builds the stand or not. 6 months until the covenant runs out and still no real progress of ground being broken on the North Side of BP.

Everything to me looks to be hold, recruitment, assistant manager, stand? He (SC) clearly wants a sale sooner rather than later. 2nd story of interested parties in a couple of weeks. If he genuinely wants what's best for Oldham Athletic he will not hold ANY genuinely interested party to ransom IF they are the right fit for the club.

Edited by oafcprozac

The fact he says that the club used to be massive points to those four. Although we spent three seasons in the Premier League no-one could say we were massive.e

Did he say massive ?

Edited by BP1960

6 months until the covenant runs out and still no real progress of ground being broken on the North Side of BP. Everything to me looks to be hold, recruitment, assistant manager, stand? He clearly wants a sale sooner rather than later. 2nd story of interested parties in a couple of weeks. If he genuinely wants what's best for Oldham Athletic he will not hold ANY genuinely interested party to ransom IF they are the right fit for the club.

Excuse my ignorance but what covenant do you refer too?

When the purchase of BP, the surrounding land and the club was signed a 10 year stipulation for BP to be used as a sporting arena was signed. Although the stand is in the pipeline no further extension to the covenant has been signed.

Although the conditions of the council's percentage of funding towards the proposed new stand state that the funding can only be used to improve BP as a football ground/sporting arena.

When the purchase of BP, the surrounding land and the club was signed a 10 year stipulation for BP to be used as a sporting arena was signed. Although the stand is in the pipeline no further extension to the covenant has been signed.

Although the conditions of the council's percentage of funding towards the proposed new stand state that the funding can only be used to improve BP as a football ground/sporting arena.

There isn't an extension to the covenant as previous owners can't enforce something on the new owners 10 years after the sale has gone through. Yes it can be used for something else but before the sale went through, there was no covenant on the land anyway. It was just a short term insurance policy for the council in the short term.

If the interest is genuine and Koukash does want to move the club forward in a sustainable way, us fans can make this happen by making Corney and know in no uncertain terms that we no longer want stagnation and death by a thousand cuts in as vocal way as possible.

The club wants a future, under Corney we have a very limited future whether he builds the stand or not. 6 months until the covenant runs out and still no real progress of ground being broken on the North Side of BP.

Everything to me looks to be hold, recruitment, assistant manager, stand? He (SC) clearly wants a sale sooner rather than later. 2nd story of interested parties in a couple of weeks. If he genuinely wants what's best for Oldham Athletic he will not hold ANY genuinely interested party to ransom IF they are the right fit for the club.

Well I'm sure we dont need to worry as we have a supporter on the board dont we? Barrington will let Corney know in no uncertain terms that he must go and go now and make things as easy as possible for the takeover to proceed without hitch. He is our voice, he is our light

1 They would say that.

2 Matt and Mike appear to have very differing takes on things recently.

3 Not a blank then.

4 If not a story about Koukash today you would wonder. But as Chron printed at 9.30am it might be all over by time they are delivered.

I'm under the impression from recent times that the MEN have closer relations with the club than the Chron do.

It happened a few years ago as well IIRC.

There isn't an extension to the covenant as previous owners can't enforce something on the new owners 10 years after the sale has gone through. Yes it can be used for something else but before the sale went through, there was no covenant on the land anyway. It was just a short term insurance policy for the council in the short term.

How short term was the short term insurance policy that the council wanted to be short term?