LJ looking to bring in...

In the Chron, LJ says:

“...we are looking at bringing in a young goalkeeper with potential, a loan centre-back and a permanent centre-back — depending on the situation with Cliff (Byrne) and whether Jean-Yves Mvoto stays, and a number nine who can bring people into play. We would like extra competition at full-back as well.”

http://www.oldham-ch...s-boss-no-letup

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or are we hearing alot of "we are looking to. . ." Stories? I back lj to the hilt and trully believe we have turned a corner with him but these stories are just annoying

Probably because he keeps getting asked the same question. I'd be pretty pissed off if he said 'Im doing my coaching badges in two days and the cocktails are proper cheap so I cant be arsed doing anything else until next week.'

I'd rather he was looking at a number nine who will bang the bloody thing into the back of the net. We've got a number 8/10 in Baxter who can bring people into play, what we have been crying out for since Porter is a goal scorer.

We've had too many players that are "who can bring people into play" and lacked the ones who are willing to buy a ticket and have a shot.

I'd rather he was looking at a number nine who will bang the bloody thing into the back of the net. We've got a number 8/10 in Baxter who can bring people into play, what we have been crying out for since Porter is a goal scorer.

We've had too many players that are "who can bring people into play" and lacked the ones who are willing to buy a ticket and have a shot.

This, all day long!

We were desperately short on goals last season. What we need is a GOALSCORER!

I don't class Baxter as an out and out striker, still need 2 in this position IMO.

This, all day long!

I don't class Baxter as an out and out striker, still need 2 in this position IMO.

Baxter has it in him to score 20+ if other players can play to his strengths and bring him into play. I think it's important that we create chances so that a lot of different players can score.

Baxter has it in him to score 20+ if other players can play to his strengths and bring him into play. I think it's important that we create chances so that a lot of different players can score.

The midfield running past the strikers would be a start!...

We just got rid of one of those young goalkeepers with promise. We need an old goalkeeper and someone who will score goals. Even with 20 from Baxter our squad is most obviously short in that department. Still don't see Baxter as a striker so that my team with him would be 3 5 2. Anyway the Boss is obviously going to play him as a striker in a 4 4 2 so I must be wrong. In LJ I still trust.

This, all day long!

er.....people have all neglected to mention Clarke Harris who could well bag a fair few - him aside assuming baxter is playing as a striker we need another 2.

brandy off to sheff u,

Lee Miller at carlisle would be ideal................

or Matt Green at Mansfield, pace and power 25goals last season

er.....people have all neglected to mention Clarke Harris who could well bag a fair few - him aside assuming baxter is playing as a striker we need another 2.

brandy off to sheff u,

I'd be overjoyed if Clarke Harris is the answer to our problem, but I see him more as a work in progress, he's young and raw.....is he ready to go?

brandy off to sheff u,

If we got lee miller i would be doing cart wheels. Quality player but i reckon he is above what we can sign presently

How we use Baxter will determine our level of success this season. After seeing how ineffective Baxter was in a front two alongside Smith last season I'd be pretty worried if LJ was going to use him that way again. On the other hand if we were going to put Baxter alongside a striker who offers strength, pace (the key component) and work rate without being particularly prolific (Tounkara and Jabo Ibehre spring to mind, not that I think we should sign either!) then that would work for me.

I'd rather play Baxter in centre midfield than play him in a front two with a link-player/target man. Clearly his best position is in the gap between midfield and attack, but the difficulty will be finding the right striker(s) to fit into a system with Baxter playing in that role.

It's a bit of a conundrum.

We had two goalscorers last season; Derbyshire and Barnard. Their records here weren't great, because we didn't create chances. A number nine who can bring players into play will suit Baxter, who can bag 20+.

exactly this, we need strikers like this , preferebly 2 like this (pushing each other for a start), but we need them playing down the middle not receiving the ball out wide to find nobody in the mixer, we have to use whichever system is best for Jose imo.And i think we will see this ,due to the pace we already got on the wings, the strikers wont have chance to be out wide too often.

Could do with a decent no.9 signing soon just to give us all a bit of a wow injection as the pre-season rebuild is in a bit of a lull.

Midfield is shaping up, LJ will sort defence and keeper but its the main striker that gets everyone off their seat and looking forward to the season.

brandy off to sheff u,

Matt Green set to sign for Birmingham City.

Matt Green set to sign for Birmingham City.

I know were nowhere near in the same league as Brazil, but their strike force last night of Fred (finisher/big strong lad actually willing to run a bit) and Neymar (nippy skillful, ability aplenty) would be ideal for us. Baxter would drop into the League 1 mold of Neymar, even though Baxter is miles better, and we would need a striker willing to give us some graft, who brings others into play and can also stick it in given half a chance! Where we find our Fred though is anyones guess!