Adam Rooney!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scored on saturday didn't he, couldn't imagine us not having him on some sort of pre-contract agreement.

I do hope so as a third pre-season of going with a 'trialist' throughout then not actually signing him would be bloody criminal!

Although I hope the deal has already been agreed and it is simply down to him getting his pay off from Swindon.

Edited by oafcprozac

scored on saturday didn't he, couldn't imagine us not having him on some sort of pre-contract agreement.

Wasn't him doing this at Birmingham the reason why he's having a dispute with Swindon?

I know he's a footballer, but surely he can't be stupid enough to make the same mistake again...

Do we really need Rooney? He looks a decent player, but with JCH in the form he seems to be in, and Baxter, MacDonald and Millar to call on, would the (I suspect hefty) wage we'd save by not signing Rooney not be better spent elsewhere? If come October, say, we're looking profligate in front of goal, there's always the loan market to fall back on.

Do we really need Rooney? He looks a decent player, but with JCH in the form he seems to be in, and Baxter, MacDonald and Millar to call on, would the (I suspect hefty) wage we'd save by not signing Rooney not be better spent elsewhere? If come October, say, we're looking profligate in front of goal, there's always the loan market to fall back on.

Possibly we don't need him, but there won't be too many occasions where a player of his quality falls within our budget.

His dispute with Swindon has made this possible for us.

He offers something different, a bit of muscle up front and has a decent goal scoring ratio.

Edited by BP1960

Bollocks to excessive reliance on the loan market.

Get him in, have players needing to deliver to keep their places.

I disagree. LJ's said today that we can't afford an experienced (and mobile) centre-half. Surely that should be a priority ahead of a fifth striker?

I'm yet to see Mellor play as a centre half. But he is good with the ball at his feet and if our plan is to play from the back then do we need something different?

My gut instinct is probably. But I'm quite keen to see a team selected and shaped by Johnson working to Johnson's plan. If that means no experienced lump at the back then so be it.

That's a leap of faith on my part though.

I'm yet to see Mellor play as a centre half. But he is good with the ball at his feet and if our plan is to play from the back then do we need something different?

My gut instinct is probably. But I'm quite keen to see a team selected and shaped by Johnson working to Johnson's plan. If that means no experienced lump at the back then so be it.

That's a leap of faith on my part though.

He's looked fairly competent playing there in the two games I've seen, but I worry about him against better opposition. Positionally, he's suspect and he's had to dig himself out of holes on more than one occasion (once yesterday when it looked to me as though he'd given away a penalty). Not sure he's physically strong enough to play centre-half at our level yet, either. I'd be concerned if he lined-up against Stevenage come a week on Saturday.

Not seen Mellor play centre-half either, but would be really disappointed if he's made to play there. Based on the tail end of last season, him and Smith would be my starting central midfield partnership. Smith to break things up and Mellor to create. This division's full of big, bullying centre forwards who will eat Mellor for breakfast at centre-back, I'm afraid.

I feel slightly more positive about things now than I did this time last year, but something that is the same is the underlying feeling that we've not really strengthened. We've lost our best defender from an already far from water-tight defence yet haven't replaced him. We've signed options in attack and midfield, but we don't have any realistic options at centre-back.

If getting in a quality centre-back meant missing out on Rooney, I'd live with that. In fact I'd surrender the signings of Joksts, Rogers and Rooney if it meant there was room in the budget for the decent replacement for M'Voto we need.

Edited by JoeP

Not seen Mellor play centre-half either, but would be really disappointed if he's made to play there. Based on the tail end of last season, him and Smith would be my starting central midfield partnership. Smith to break things up and Mellor to create. This division's full of big, bullying centre forwards who will eat Mellor for breakfast at centre-back, I'm afraid.

I feel slightly more positive about things now than I did this time last year, but something that is the same is the underlying feeling that we've not really strengthened. We've lost our best defender from an already far from water-tight defence yet haven't replaced him. We've signed options in attack and midfield, but we don't have any realistic options at centre-back.

If getting in a quality centre-back meant missing out on Rooney, I'd live with that. In fact I'd surrender the signings of Joksts, Rogers and Rooney if it meant there was room in the budget for the decent replacement for M'Voto we need.

If we got Rooney and a decent centre half, I'd be as positive going into a season as I have been in a long while. Optimism likely to have turned to despair come October but we look like we have a decent squad and young players showing promise. Agreed that a centre half is imperative though. Budget or not, we are lightweight at the back and we can't afford not to strengthen (even if a big young Premier League reserve).

This time last year our goal scoring hopes rested on the shoulders (and back) of loanee Jordan Slew.

Twelve months later we've got Baxter, MacDonald and Clarke Harris - better players and actual Oldham Athletic players with Adam Rooney or another still to be added.

This time last year our goal scoring hopes rested on the shoulders (and back) of loanee Jordan Slew.

Twelve months later we've got Baxter, MacDonald and Clarke Harris - better players and actual Oldham Athletic players with Adam Rooney or another still to be added.

Smith and Simpson were probably relied on to contribute a few goals too. Your overall point is certainly valid though, LDJ seems to be a lot more successful in getting his team/squad together for the start of the season than Dickov was.

Smith and Simpson were probably relied on to contribute a few goals too. Your overall point is certainly valid though, LDJ seems to be a lot more successful in getting his team/squad together for the start of the season than Dickov was.

and is, again,,,,,,