Adam Rooney!

also if he has a signed contract then Swindon really don't have a leg to stand on

If he has signed a contract and Swindon don't properly honour it, then they are in breach of contract. It is in their interests for someone to take Rooney on, so they are liable for less compensation.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your first post is blank lol

It was a double post from an edit i was trying to make to my earlier post. It in effect became a triple post when I tried to edit this accidental repost and I ended up with yet another post.

And I still don't know how it all happened. My mind must be melting in the heat..

This IMO is going to be LJ's first big test......unless he has some sort of agreement already with Rooney the fact it has come out into the public domain with quotes attributed to him baffles me.

I'm really hoping that he isn't trusting an agents word as surely other clubs within our league and possibly the championship will have been on the phone already! Hopefully Rooney is a man of his word but this might all end in tears

If Rooney gets Swindon to honour his contract by paying him off then they will effectively hold his registration for that contract period. Therefore entitled to a fee or to make him play for them next season. Won't be the greatest situation for either party so likelihood he'd be sold on to offset their losses or loaned out.

However, if Swindon are effectively ripping up his contract then he's a free agent. We sign him for - as an example - 2k per week. The contract with Swindon was 4k per week. Rooney then can claim loss of earnings over breach of contract and constructive dismissal. He's our player though.

Looking at facts to date - Matt Chambers tweets saying the signing "will happen"; the club forced to issue a release saying Rooney is training with us to maintain fitness & WILL play in pre-season games. Finally LJ has openly said how great a player Rooney is and would love to sign him.

On the basis of these facts I'm inclined to think its the second situation.

We've probably signed him already on a pre-contract to secure ourselves. I cant imagine (then again I can) the club releasing images of Rooney in pre-season training with us and then not just saying he's training with us (they were forced to due to tweets) for fitness but going further by saying he will actually play in our pre-season games. We question the clubs intelligence in these matters but why play a proven striker in games and then if he bags a few, we lose him to other clubs sniffing around? We'd have protected ourselves from this with some form of contract protection.

Rooney is simply settling his contract situation with Swindon by reclaiming the difference. My contract law is a little rusty but normally in a contract you would have step-in rights that mean the party who breaches the contract (Swindon) will have to pay the other party (Rooney) loss of earnings due to the breach. To cover Swindon their right would be to cap their exposure as the difference between earnings in new contract versus earnings in breached contract. This typically happens with managers placed on garden leave; Eriksson beng one with England whereby FA had to continue paying him until he found a new employer.

Edited by Midsblue

Does anyone have any theories on how the Rooney situation is going to resolve itself in our favour?

At present Rooney is obviously trying to get the money Swindon promised him for the next two years. But he still has a signed contract with them hasn't he? They are just refusing to pay him. Surely they aren't going to pay him in full and cancel his contract at the same time.

How do we end up with a situation where he both gets paid and the contract gets cancelled? Is he looking for a partial pay off?

According to the BBC story Rooney has agreed a two year deal. Doesn't say he's signed. Now as I understand it a verbal agreement is only binding if it can be proved in court. I guess the only way to do that is by having an independent witness who has no connection or benefit from either party. Or in this case something may have been written down and read by both Rooney and his agent, one of them may even have a copy, which would strengthen his case. But that agreement was with the previous owners and may still be binding.

Personally I think Rooney is on dodgy ground unless he has a copy of the agreement. If he wins then he is a Swindon player, but I doubt he will play for them. In that case they could demand a fee, or send him out on loan to the highest bidder If he loses then he is a free agent able to sign where he likes, as we have looked after him it puts us in a strong position, but will he be willing to sign for longer than one year?

From what ive just read, Swindon never signed the contract so from Swindon's point of view he is a free agent

bit.ly/10SwdKU

Sounds odd. What did he sign then? A contract that he'd written himself?

Whilst the deal hadn't been finalised, Swindon will probably struggle to come out of this one without an undisclosed settlement figure to pay.

Sounds odd. What did he sign then? A contract that he'd written himself?

Whilst the deal hadn't been finalised, Swindon will probably struggle to come out of this one without an undisclosed settlement figure to pay.

from the way i understand it both sides sign the contract that swindon draw up but swindon havent signed it

From another angle; who provides the contract to be signed, player, club or League? Is it really conceivable that Rooney is claiming breach of contract on a document that has only one signature? It appears that all we know is there is a contractual dispute between Rooney and Swindon. We have to assume that Rooney has told Latics exactly what that dispute is and Latics believe that they have a very good chance of getting their man. They will also except there is a risk of training him and playing him and then not getting him, for whatever reason, not least he may well just bugger off somewhere else. Or we have got him to sign some sort of contract that stipulates if he doesn't sign/play for Swindon he will for us.

Rooney is not the player playershare have helped. That should be announced early in the week.

To answer your question the committee control the finances. LJ comes to us and requests our help and indicates who he's bringing in and how much he wants. If financially viable it comes to the committee who then vote in favour or not.

Rooney is not the player playershare have helped. That should be announced early in the week.

To answer your question the committee control the finances. LJ comes to us and requests our help and indicates who he's bringing in and how much he wants. If financially viable it comes to the committee who then vote in favour or not.

I second that. Rooney is not the player that playershare have been asked to help out with. Tba next week folks on the player

In the meantime, thanks or all the financial support all you guys have offered, it has helped the club to bring in the likes of evina and kuqi in previous seasons

Rooney knocked a goal in during today's 11-a-side training game to the chant of 'Rooney, Rooney' from the other players. A nice simple chant that I wouldn't mind getting the chance to sing myself.

Who's the tanned lad with the Andy Carroll pony tail?

Edited by JohnnyPimp