Jose Baxter

All you have to do is to see how he receives a pass into feet to see what a top drawer player he is.

If he goes, I won't mourn his loss : I'll be delighted for the eleven months we had watching him...

This is about what i said when we didn't know if he would sign - better to have loved and lost than never loved at at all. We have no chance of replacing his quality but we are better placed to work around with the talent we have - we are playing him out of position! I could imagine Corney saying his piece rating him at £45m. Would love to see a full season anyway

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine that LJ would've known their was a big chance he was gonna go during this window and I'd expect him to have irons in the fire.

Good point, hopefully he does! If he doesn't leave that would be quality but if he does leave I can't really being able to get someone in who is as good as him but we'll see...

Yeah if you read the MEN article it suggests that Donny will be able to afford to trigger his release clause if new investment comes in however no contact has been made now. Seems like fuss over nothing if that's the case?

Like people have said above if it's Bolton then there's more of a chance of him going (and us probably getting more cash).

Doncaster's squad is incredibly thin and their own fans are saying they need more players - doubt they would splash out on just one player UNLESS the new investment is quite a large sum

Odd that any club would bid for him now when they could have had him in January for nothing, would be pushing it to say he's improved since then.

Other clubs DID try to sign him in January did they not? He chose us because he was playing, enjoying his football and his dad advised him to sign for us.

Let's accept the fact he is in demand from much bigger clubs than ourselves. If he stays - which personally I think he will, but I am thinking with my heart - fantastic! If he goes, I'll be genuinely gutted and will feel like I've lost a family member, but thanks for being the best player I've watched at BP (being only 21) and thanks for restoring my faith that there ARE players out there who just want to play football and not just pick up the pay cheque.

There are two ways of looking at this.

Firstly is Baxter going to stay with us for another two years and be part of the LJ experiment to get us out of this league? If he is then we will have two more years of this speculation but as we simply can not pay him the wage he can get elsewhere he will only stay if he feels his talent can be best developed under LJ with first team football every week. Is he prepared to wait for an even bigger pot of gold?

Secondly what is his position in our team. My view for what it is worth is that he plays best behind two strikers, LJ seems to concur, but the obviously fitter Jose is still not going to do the midfield ball winning and closing down that this league requires. Bringing Wes on and pushing Baxter forward against Derby simply did not work. So we have a great player but it is still not clear how we can make the most of his talents.

If he stays I will delight in watching him play. If he goes I will be delighted to have seen him play but we can still move on and upwards. I would put Mellor in central midfield and expect SC to allow LJ to sign the central defender we need.

MEN says doncaster are the ones going for him. LJ says no contact or bids have been made

A few months ago someone on here quoted Mike Keegan as saying 'there is no release clause' as if it was fact. A fact which I doubted but couldn't prove otherwise. Corney did the the job for me 2 months down the line.

Rumour is the staple diet of football and sooner or later it usually comes true. Virtually all players move on eventually. My reasoned guess on him staying is based on a few things, some already stated. Baxter signed when we were on our uppers after a bad start to the season. We gave him a chance that he grabbed with both hands. He signed a long contract in January against most peoples expectations, including mine. He is loved here and he knows it. Our new manager has surrounded him with likeminded players and tactics that suit him down to the ground. If he has a successful season here as top dog the Premiership could beckon but in any case a bigger contract anywhere. He is probably happier at work than he has been for 2 or 3 years. I think he will stay based on probability, but if he did go LJ would be unfazed by what to do next. And like has been said we should all say THANK YOU VERY MUCH. He will always be welcome at Boundary Park.

There are two ways of looking at this.

Firstly is Baxter going to stay with us for another two years and be part of the LJ experiment to get us out of this league? If he is then we will have two more years of this speculation but as we simply can not pay him the wage he can get elsewhere he will only stay if he feels his talent can be best developed under LJ with first team football every week. Is he prepared to wait for an even bigger pot of gold?

Secondly what is his position in our team. My view for what it is worth is that he plays best behind two strikers, LJ seems to concur, but the obviously fitter Jose is still not going to do the midfield ball winning and closing down that this league requires. Bringing Wes on and pushing Baxter forward against Derby simply did not work. So we have a great player but it is still not clear how we can make the most of his talents.

If he stays I will delight in watching him play. If he goes I will be delighted to have seen him play but we can still move on and upwards. I would put Mellor in central midfield and expect SC to allow LJ to sign the central defender we need.

Very sensible.

If its on twitter then it's definately true, just like the Fabregas rumour going to Utd :-) chill out everyone and stop worrying until it happens and even if he does go then all is not lost. Some good points made like we'll get more now than if he walked in Jan and that could of meant relegation at end of day. We're not so much a one man team as we perhaps were, yes he probably is still our best player but we won't have to rely on him as much this year because LJ has assembled a decent team which will only improve. My friend is a scout who has regular contact with LJ and he expected someone to come in for Jose already, he'd rather keep him obviously but already stated that he could bring in 2/3 others if Jose left. Better players move on to try and progress at end of the day but there's always someone else as good around the corner and my feeling with LJ so far is he'll have bases covered in both eventualities.

I personally hope he stays cos he's a joy to watch (and i got him at 50/1 for league top scorer) but i ain't going to worry too much about potential rumours or eventualities.

Keep the faith

He wont go to Doncaster - too far away and he'd probably cringe at playing for Dickov and facing a relegation season whilst we are showing lots of promise.

Bolton or Burnley could turn his head though. Premiership opportunity if promotion arises. How about sell to Bolton with opportunity to loan him back for the season ;)

He wont go to Doncaster - too far away and he'd probably cringe at playing for Dickov and facing a relegation season whilst we are showing lots of promise.

Bolton or Burnley could turn his head though. Premiership opportunity if promotion arises. How about sell to Bolton with opportunity to loan him back for the season ;)

Why would he cringe at playing for Dickov?

Don't let this get in the way of some more Dickov slating, but is that the same Dickov who brought the best out of Baxter last season...

Why would he cringe at playing for Dickov?

I'd imagine he's realised like the rest of us what are useless manager Dickov is, and I'm sure he realises a far better opportunity then Dickov and Doncaster will be around the corner. Dickov turned what was on paper I very decent league 1 team into relegation fodder, I reckon Baxter would realise this also.

Edited by slider1

With the possible exception of Richie Wellens and John McGinlay, he is the best player we have had at this level. Regardless of the good signings made by LJ, we WILL miss him desperately if he was to go...

Totally agree, he will be a massive miss and we won't be able to replace him like-for-like. Optimism dies when you think you've got to start Wes and Smith instead of Baxter and Smith.

Don't let this get in the way of some more Dickov slating, but is that the same Dickov who brought the best out of Baxter last season...

Disagree about this, part of Dickov's downfall was that he didnt have a :censored:ing clue where to play him. Playing him as a second striker didnt work and it took him too long to realise that and he upset the balance of midfield when he dropped him back. If anything I think LJ has found a very good balance to the team and from what I have seen, Baxter is playing better than he was last season. He just seems to have more freedom.

Disagree about this, part of Dickov's downfall was that he didnt have a :censored:ing clue where to play him. Playing him as a second striker didnt work and it took him too long to realise that and he upset the balance of midfield when he dropped him back. If anything I think LJ has found a very good balance to the team and from what I have seen, Baxter is playing better than he was last season. He just seems to have more freedom.

He scored most of his goals playing as a striker/number 10 so can't have it that that isn't his best position.

I'd imagine he's realised like the rest of us what are useless manager Dickov is, and I'm sure he realises a far better opportunity then Dickov and Doncaster will be around the corner. Dickov turned what was on paper I very decent league 1 team into relegation fodder, I reckon Baxter would realise this also.

If Doncaster stump up the required cash he'll be away, he won't be turning down a Championship club on the basis that they might be nearer the bottom than the top.