North Stand update

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I presume our traditional style four floodlights will disappear if this development ever happens....that will be a sad day in a way. Living in the area you don't really bat an eyelid at them but every now and then, especially when lit in winter, I look to them and I find it evokes memories of mad nights like Scarborough 89 and Southampton later that season with nearly 19000 packed in and the place rocking. The floodlights are old fashioned now but in a way quite apt as that's how I see the club and the town at the moment...

That's the reason the stand doesn't run the full length of the pitch......if it did the old floodlights would not fully illuminate the playing area.

It was deemed too expensive to remove the old pylons and is why we've ended up with a low capacity Mickey Mouse stand!!

That's the reason the stand doesn't run the full length of the pitch......if it did the old floodlights would not fully illuminate the playing area.

It was deemed too expensive to remove the old pylons and is why we've ended up with a low capacity Mickey Mouse stand!!

Whereas spending money on lots of empty seats makes so much more sense.

We're crying out for a main stand and that's the only viable area that one can be built.....how can the club be happy with a main entrance on Furtherwood road where there's no carpark and no room to build one.

This stand has been a long time coming but to me it's just not right.

The plan shows the stand runs the full length of the pitch - people in the end seats will be in line with the goal lines

http://planningpa.oldham.gov.uk/online-applications/files/64ED7FFCCF8EE945B54E296B37F6494E/pdf/PA_333100_12-PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN-1466065.pdf

Theres no real change really as the old box ran to the goal line. Perhaps even past it. The lights are tucked in the corner. What I would be querying is if the stand is high enough to be in the angle of the lights and create a shadow, but I'm pretty confident the floodlights are high enough so that wouldn't be the case.

why would we have the need to remove the 4 floodlights just to put a stand in?????

we need floodlights to play night games you know.....even with 3 it'd be pitch black so in one quarter of the pitch so wouldn't get away with it

I would imagine that they are very expensive to maintain much more so than the modern floodlights which run along the roofs on the sides of stands like you see in modern stadia.

That said like yard dog says they do give the ground a certain character when your walking towards the ground following the lights.

The plan shows the stand runs the full length of the pitch - people in the end seats will be in line with the goal lines

http://planningpa.oldham.gov.uk/online-applications/files/64ED7FFCCF8EE945B54E296B37F6494E/pdf/PA_333100_12-PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN-1466065.pdf

Maybe so but I think you'll find the roof edge will be a lot nearer the pitch than the old Lookers where sitting in the paddock left supporters with no cover at all.

I'm pretty sure the decision not to remove the floodlights on the new stand side was down to cost and if and when they fill in the corners (which will never happen ) the old pylons would then need to be demolished.

Regarding Argyle's new stand, they're supposed to be starting demolition/building tomorrow. From conception to build start in little over a year, and James Brent (Argyle owner and developer who owns the Akkeron group) reckons they'll have the stand done within a year, and the rest within 2 years.

It'll have a new stand with 380 underground parking spaces, and next to it a hotel, Imax cinema, skating rink and shops and restaurants. The skating rink is being built as Brent's bought the one at the Pavilions, and is demolishing it and redeveloping the area. It'll also have seating for 2,500.

They had opposition from the Central Park Community Forum as they said that it contravened the park's masterplan and should go to judicial review, but the council threw their objections out, and passed the plans. Most of it's being built on scrubland rather than a green site.

Good access from the A38, ample parking at the ground and a short walk from the station. With that and the recently finished Life Centre with the olympic standard diving pool, it should be excellent for Plymouth.

along with everyone else I'm desperate to see progress on latics new stand, an how frustrating watching other clubs moving forward on redeveloping there grounds yet with us it's painfully slow, this must have been going on for 18 years now when sportspark 2000 was going to be built with us an the rugby sharing it, we've been so patient on this but I'm so indifferent to it all now the excitement I had about it happening isn't there anymore. one fed up oldham fan