The Red card yesterday

Speaking to fellow fans after the game there appears to be some confusion over the rules. I think when Kusunga reacted most of us knew he'd get a straight Red. But there was a mixed opinion on whether the Gillingham player should have gone too. Personally I think it would have been perfect common sense to send their lad off as he had no intention of getting the ball and GK could have picked up a serious injury bearing in mind it he was shoved into the advertising hoardings. But another Latics fan I spoke to said that the Ref had no grounds to send their man off. What do others think?

Endangering the safety of an opponent is serious foul play. Red card.

Page 63:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

"A foul committed while tackling an opponent with little or no concern for the safety of the opponent shall be cause for the player to be sent from the field and shown the red card for serious foul play."

Edited by opinions4u

It wouldn't have been inappropriate for both Joe Martin & Danny Kedwell to have seen Red Cards - as they both assaulted him into the hoardings - but quite how in particular Kedwell avoided a Red Card i just don't know.

Kusunga can have no grounds for appeal - straight red for raising arms / retaliation BUT - i would be worried if one of our players hadnt reacted to that sort of "challenge" - also the fact the players on the pitch and most of our bench waded in shows that there is a 'look after our own' mentallity within the group; which - even though the Red Card weakens us for 3 games; is - in a weird way, still good to see.

Minging when players make those sort of "tackles" (and i use that very loosely here for the Gills pair) - flying off the pitch, onto the hard standing and into the hoardings - serious injury risk time. Minging...

Kusunga was steamrollered off the pitch aggressively from behind by the full body weight of their number 9. No attempt was made to play the ball. Their number 9 then stood his ground facing down Kusunga (probably with verbal's). Kusunga took the bait like a big fat fish. Job done.

Most players would have remained crumpled against the hoardings for a totally different outcome.

l

The referee and rules in general needs a look at themselves after yesterday. Kedwell put Kusunga in high danger of serious injury and wasn't sent off, Kusunga grappled at worst and was sent off. How can that be right?

Kedwell should have been sent off for a cynical, dangerous tackle where he had no intention of going for the ball. The decision to keep him on the pitch was a joke.

Whilst I myself like a bit of combative aggression on the pitch, squaring up, grappling etc as long as it doesn't get violent, Kusunga was silly to retaliate in the way he did. In this game if you put your hands up you will be sent off, and everybody knows that.

There can't be much of an argument about Kusunga's red card, but how Kedwell stayed on, I'll never know. As far as he was concerned, the ball was immaterial. He wanted retribution as, first Schmeltz, and then Kusunga were taking the piss with close control of the ball (call it showboating, if you like, but we loved it) and he lost it.

To smash Kusunga into the advertising hoardings from inside the playing area was gbh, not a tackle, or even a foul. It was assault. Hardly surprising that the bench joined in and, if I'd been Kusunga, I'd have had a job keeping my hands of the nasty little bastard.

Actions like that have no place in football and, whilst Kusunga shouldn't have reacted the way he did, it was understandable. Kedwell should have gone before the ref even spoke to Kusunga, who was lucky he wasn't seriously injured.

The crowd probably didn't help, either. They were baying for blood every time one of ours was fouled and the "send off" that the Rainham End gave Danny Philliskirk was a disgrace. Perhaps Mr Scott felt too intimidated to send one of theirs off.

I don't think we have much grounds for an appeal, and we could even run the risk of the ban being extended to four games. We'll probably just have to take the punishment and be thankful that Lanzoni is back.

I think the rules are so wrong in these situations. If Kusunga stands up and hits him, fair enough he's gone but he's just stood up and grabbed him in reaction to being smashed into the advertising hoardings - something far worse than what he was sent off for. The cards should have been the other way around, red for their no.9 and yellow for Kusunga. It's appalling that grabbing someone in reaction to being cynically taken out is the greater of the two offences.

These rules are written by complete morons. They don't take into account basic human feelings/instincts. Of course players will react to things like this, anybody would do in the same situation. Baffles me.

Their number 9 then stood his ground facing down Kusunga (probably with verbal's). Kusunga took the bait like a big fat fish. Job done.

Exactly, he was baiting Kasunga , he had no other reason to remain at the scene of the crime other than to wait for a reaction from Kasunga and a red card. A very professional job.

I've seen the highlights, and I can understand the referee's decision. LJ talking of an appeal is stupid. I can see why he's aggrieved at Kedwell, but you can't appeal the fact he only got a booking.

Kusunga can have no arguments. Both Gillingham players made the tackle, and got the reaction from Kusunga they wanted, if it was just Kedwell shoving Kusunga then he'd have seen red, clever play from them unfortunately.

Exactly, he was baiting Kasunga , he had no other reason to remain at the scene of the crime other than to wait for a reaction from Kasunga and a red card. A very professional job.

Yeah but...I bet he was expecting a nice flat-hand shove in the face rather than the lightning short-arm jab he got. If you're gonna put your hands in someone's face and you're going off anyway, why not make it worth your while?

Kasunga was fouled twice by the Gillingham number 3 before he was shoved into the advertisement boarding with malicious intent. If the rules are to be applied fairly, all three should have been sent off and because of the provocation Kasunga would have still been the more aggrieved. If the referee had been sharp enough he would have blown for the first foul which would have prevented the impending attack . I also noticed that he wasn't too enthusiastic in trying to stop the ensuing pushing and shoving. All in all a cowardly ref who should be dealing with schoolboys on a Saturday morning.

Kasunga was fouled twice by the Gillingham number 3 before he was shoved into the advertisement boarding with malicious intent. If the rules are to be applied fairly, all three should have been sent off and because of the provocation Kasunga would have still been the more aggrieved. If the referee had been sharp enough he would have blown for the first foul which would have prevented the impending attack . I also noticed that he wasn't too enthusiastic in trying to stop the ensuing pushing and shoving. All in all a cowardly ref who should be dealing with schoolboys on a Saturday morning.

According to LP, the ref was going to give a throw until his linesman told him different.

Didn't see it but seems eerily similar to the incident I just saw at the junction outside the office.

Cyclist cuts in front of van causing driver to swerve sharply; van driver jumps out and punches cyclist. Clearly the actions of the van driver were wrong but entirely understandable.....and very, very funny!