Montano suspended! (Update: Sacked)

Not condoning it at all the thick :censored: but rather than spending all the first half trying to get booked and therefore not concentrating on the game.

Why not try and do what you do best.....play well score a goal and er....

Take your top off??

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the awards evening from last season Montano was one of the players on our table, seemed a nice lad. Despite Montano's injury prone and hot and cold career at Latics I felt there was a good player in there. Told him genuinely I felt he could have a big season for us this time around. He thanked me for the faith I had in him. Ironic now.

I highly doubt they will have taken that step without legal consultation first.

As if the video evidence isnt damming enough, this suspension, without pay, just about tucks the whole episode up. Guilty as sin; and the club have quickly found that out and have acted accordingly.

The lad will be lucky to play again after this - I mean, even after coming back from a ban - who will touch him?

Hughes, King, McCormack...they are all horrible human beings and have deaths and rapes and their records - but they were outside of the game.

I genuinely questioned my abiltiy to support the club with Hughes playing for us, with the moral implications involved. Whilst I was upset at our club signing a convicted criminal with a death by dangerous driving record to his name; and i'm sure the fans of the clubs King and McCormack have gone on to play or are the same - which club; and which fans would want a player who they could never be 100% sure was actually being legit and honest in their performances on the pitch?

I'm not for one moment comparing the merits of causing death & rape to what Montano has done. Moreover, saying that his whole sporting integrity has gone for good, and after this - how is a club going to out their trust; their finances in terms of wages etc and their faith in someone who has done this?

He's thrown away his career at 21 years young.

What a stupid, stupid thing to have gotten himself mixed up in.

The money for match fixing could also be related gun, drug, human trafficking etc which is why the NCA are involved.

The dangers of things like this increase massively when you have the massive turnover of journeymen players passing through the club. It's a job to them and they have no loyalty or commitment to an institution that means so much to everybody who follows a club anywhere. Hopefully this situation will force clubs to take more care of who they let represent them. Our clubs name could be dragged

through :censored: by somebody with no affiliation.

If we have 40+ players a season, the chances of this increase out of control and so few of them are better than we already have

The dangers of things like this increase massively when you have the massive turnover of journeymen players passing through the club. It's a job to them and they have no loyalty or commitment to an institution that means so much to everybody who follows a club anywhere. Hopefully this situation will force clubs to take more care of who they let represent them. Our clubs name could be dragged

If we have 40+ players a season, the chances of this increase out of control and so few of them are better than we already have

This happened in the 60s and in the early 90s before the Bosman ruling where their was less player movement so I don't think that's a factor.

It's something that hasn't happened or atleast been reported on happening for quite sometime and for that reason we assumed our game was totally clean of things like this.

I do believe that these are isolated cases by footballers who get in with the wrong crowd. It does make you question a few things though. Next time you see a player make a stupid tackle and get booked or sent off you how many off this will be asking if he's had a bet.

16 of the squad are out of contract before or at the end of the season.

Edited by BP1960

16 of the squad are out of contract before or at the end of the season.

And more than 16 of our discarded ex players continue to make a living at our above our level.

Nurture and develop what you have and give the football club back the identity it has lost.

11 who give a :censored: will always beat 11 that don't

I highly doubt they will have taken that step without legal consultation first.

As if the video evidence isnt damming enough, this suspension, without pay, just about tucks the whole episode up. Guilty as sin; and the club have quickly found that out and have acted accordingly.

The lad will be lucky to play again after this - I mean, even after coming back from a ban - who will touch him?

Hughes, King, McCormack...they are all horrible human beings and have deaths and rapes and their records - but they were outside of the game.

I genuinely questioned my abiltiy to support the club with Hughes playing for us, with the moral implications involved. Whilst I was upset at our club signing a convicted criminal with a death by dangerous driving record to his name; and i'm sure the fans of the clubs King and McCormack have gone on to play or are the same - which club; and which fans would want a player who they could never be 100% sure was actually being legit and honest in their performances on the pitch?

I'm not for one moment comparing the merits of causing death & rape to what Montano has done. Moreover, saying that his whole sporting integrity has gone for good, and after this - how is a club going to out their trust; their finances in terms of wages etc and their faith in someone who has done this?

He's thrown away his career at 21 years young.

What a stupid, stupid thing to have gotten himself mixed up in.

Agree completely. In the context of football, what he's done is unforgivable. In general life, he's clearly (allegedly) broken the law and made a shocking error or judgement. For the sake of his kid though, I hope he's able to find another path and another career so he can at least provide some sort of positive example as to how you can really mess up but (hopefully) learn from it.

Not condoning it at all the thick :censored: but rather than spending all the first half trying to get booked and therefore not concentrating on the game.

Take your top off??

I'd have settled for him playing well and scoring a goal. But whatever floats your boat :grin:

Take your top off??

Perhaps now the F.A should instruct refs not to book players taking off their shirts as its open to spot fixing ?.. a club fine should suffice.

Perhaps now the F.A should instruct refs not to book players taking off their shirts as its open to spot fixing ?.. a club fine should suffice.

Why stop there? Just remove bookings and sendings off from the game entirely.

The real problem lies with the betting markets available.

This is the most serious accusation I can remember against a Latics player in over sixty years supporting the club. I wonder if LJ noticed his strange behaviour at Wolves. Nonethelss, Montano put money before the team, supporters and club and that is unforgiveable. This isn't simply "spot-fixing" in the sense of giving away a no-ball or four at cricket. Montano apparently was lucky not to get sent off; only his criminal ineptitude seems to have prevented this - swearing at the ref alone is ground enough for dismissal. Having a fifth-columnist in the team can only weaken it, and cost points.

Yes the main problem is within the betting markets.

In the past you could mainly only bet on winning , ie a horse winning a race , player scoring , team winning etc .

Now you can bet on losing , ie Horse not winning , players getting booked or sent off etc.

Whilst corruption went on in the past it is no surprise that since these betting changes have taken place then corruption has gone through the roof.

There has been more cases of race fixing in the last 5 years than the previous 155 years.

Now its getting into football and cricket as well as other sports.
It started in the Vinnie Jones days when Wimbledon players used to bet on the first throw in , then if they won the toss to kick off they would kick it straight out ?

The only way to stop it is to outlaw these type of bets and get back to the basic bets of Win , correct score , and player to score etc.

It's extremely difficult to fix a race for a horse to Win , it is very very much easier to fix a race for a horse not to win !!!!!!!!

Why stop there? Just remove bookings and sendings off from the game entirely.

The real problem lies with the betting markets available.

I didn't say all. shirt removing wasn't a yellow card offence until a few years ago and was brought in to stop blatant advertising on vests, the policy can easily be receded and an after match fine against the player concerned brought in its place.

Why is it you have to shoot down people who try to make constructive suggestions?..It seems to me you have arrogant know all attitude to your posts.

I don't see you offering any suggestions on how to tackle the illegal betting market.

Edited by BP1960