Montano suspended! (Update: Sacked)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he not win goal of the month for August?

Was it not Stevenage away when he took it from our penalty box, ran it up the pitch and slotted it past their gk?

Seems such a long time ago now....

Bloody idiot

He won September's GOTM too for his very good solo goal at Rotherham. Winchester won October's and November's is TBC.

He won September's GOTM too for his very good solo goal at Rotherham. Winchester won October's and November's is TBC.

Thanks rude medic....am old and been dying my hair to long the peroxide has frazzled the one marble I have rolling round now

The one thing hinted at relative innocence in Montano's favour is that he could have been bought in by Sodje to explain a booking, but also get the defence if they were not able to pull it off. ie the long winded story about doing everything they could to get sent off. Interestingly this implies they have not got a bent ref, or they would likely have bragged about that too to guarantee. They are clearly offering no such guarantee.

This does not exonerate Montano, he has been incredibly stupid even if he only told a pack of lies for Sodje.

What are the odds that there will be a dramatic reduction of bookings in this weekends English League programme? No pun intended!

Will be very interesting that, its self fullfilling though. Lots will hold back from silly bokings as they will get dragged into it innocently

They must have quite a bit of other stuff to bail to 2014 April..... DJ Campbell tackle shown on tv was described as subject of specific investigation as reckless which appears to be the case with all this. http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/video_former_ipswich_town_player_dj_campbell_arrested_by_nca_in_spot_fixing_investigation_1_3090381 glad it wasnt Chris Taylor he tackled or another wild link.

Tackling a teammate like that might have looked a bit too suspicious!

Montano still has the men's rea (look it up) for the crime. Even if he didn't succeed it's still a crime. It's like a burglar going into your house and not stealing anything it's still burglary

What is this, search a latin phrase you could have said it in layman's terms, by the way is the apostrophe correct in men's in this context. Just asking.

What is this, search a latin phrase you could have said it in layman's terms, by the way is the apostrophe correct in men's in this context. Just asking.

Crimes will typically have two elements - actus reus (which is the action itself) and mens rea (which is the mindset when doing it). Both need to be satisfied for a conviction.

Both elements differ depending on what the crime is.

Mens rea alone will not suffice for a conviction.

The burglary example is not the best as the actus reus for burglary is only to enter the building as a trespasser, not to commit theft.

I'm guessing that the bet wouldn't be on something as obscure as "player x to get booked in the first half."

It would be more likely that the people offering the bribes are bookies. And if they can guarantee a yellow in the first half or the game, then they will doctor some odds that they are offering to make them more attractive to people, knowing that they are false odds and the bookie has a much better chance of winning.

For example, if they thought that they had a guaranteed booking for Montano in the first half against Wolves, and under 2.5 cards in the first half would usually be 4/7, they might offer it at 10/11 to tempt people to bet on it. Knowing then they only have to get 2 genuine bookings rather than 3 and all those people betting on it would lose the money.

(Obviously, I might be well wrong, but that's what I'd guess the fix is on)

How much did you win Dave? ;)

Montano has been hung , drawn and quartered by most on here.

Could be a more innocent explanation ie - Sodje has paid him a few quid to act as though he is involved so Sodji looks as though he can get players to cheat.

It would make Monatano extremely foolish but not a cheat !!!!!

Lets see what comes from the enquiries first then hang him if guilty.

I don't understand how they can make shed loads of money on yellow cards etc , Bookies over here have small limits on those type of bets and the Far East boys are not that stupid to be paying out hundreds of thousands on bets like that.

IF Soji is saying he can manipulate other players and taking £70k they must be winning huge amounts to cover the costs.

Not convinced it's as black and white as it looks and i think Sodji has probably got ulterior motives somewhere.(ie retirement income for a story !!!!!! )

Will all come out in the wash eventually ?

Club may make their own decision before anybody else's: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11730/9066894/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I'd imagine it would be along the lines that going about telling people he's trying to get himself booked for money, whether he did it or not, amounts to gross misconduct and therefore the club may be able to justify sacking him regardless of any other investigation.

I don't understand how they can make shed loads of money on yellow cards etc , Bookies over here have small limits on those type of bets and the Far East boys are not that stupid to be paying out hundreds of thousands on bets like that.

Have a read of the analysis in the Racing Post today. It's not about outright bets - it's about having a fair idea that odds will change enabling those in the know to back and lay or vice versa.

An example. if two teams are evenly macthed in teh win market and a player gets sent off after, say, 15 minutes, the odds will swityh to significantly favour the full strength team. Someone who has backed that side with the knowledge that the opposition will go down to ten will be able to close out the bet at a guaranteed profit

Yeh i understand about all that but we are talking of bookings here not sending off ,

I went to Wolves and looking back on it Montano had a cr*p 1st half and what is obvious now he was trying to get booked .

Can they really make shed loads of money out of that !!!!!