Montano suspended! (Update: Sacked)

It seems to me you have arrogant know all attitude to your posts.

That's a bit rich coming from you.

I'm not a copper. How the :censored: am I going to tackle illegal betting markets?

I wasn't shooting you down either. I was pointing out that the problem isn't the methods from which people can be on the receiving end of a caution.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say all. shirt removing wasn't a yellow card offence until a few years ago and was brought in to stop blatant advertising on vests, the policy can easily be receded and an after match fine against the player concerned brought in its place.

Why is it you have to shoot down people who try to make constructive suggestions?..It seems to me you have arrogant know all attitude to your posts.

I don't see you offering any suggestions on how to tackle the illegal betting market.

I'm with Zorro here. Why should we start relaxing rules on removal of shirts because of this? Is the game supposed to have its rules dictated by some seedy underbelly of crooked criminals? Players who remove their shirt must be thick as :censored: to do that anyway - there ain't no grey area and yet they still do it. Yep, it could be open to a player doing what Montano did but you've got to fecking score first, which rules out any probability of them doing it. They need situations which they can guarantee the betters they'll win money and they can't do that this way.

I'm with Zorro here. Why should we start relaxing rules on removal of shirts because of this? Is the game supposed to have its rules dictated by some seedy underbelly of crooked criminals? Players who remove their shirt must be thick as :censored: to do that anyway - there ain't no grey area and yet they still do it. Yep, it could be open to a player doing what Montano did but you've got to fecking score first, which rules out any probability of them doing it. They need situations which they can guarantee the betters they'll win money and they can't do that this way.

Players have taken off their shirts and been booked after being substituted.

The problem is now every yellow card may now be construed as spot fixing - even if not, that's the damage that's been done by these allegations.

Edited by BP1960

I think my original question was on the deleted thread so...

This has no doubt been asked before, but does anyone know what Montano's booking against Notts County in the JPT was for?

I was at th game , and I vaguely remember questioning the intelligence of one of our player following a booking, but I cannot recall the incident.

On a more general note, on the video he describes calling the ref a "f*cking w*nker" to try and get a booking. The fact that this doesn't even get him a yellow, let alone instant red card is a pretty sad reflection of the game really.

Granted, it's a very minor point in the context of all this, but it was just something else that stood out for me.

On a more general note, on the video he describes calling the ref a "f*cking w*nker" to try and get a booking. The fact that this doesn't even get him a yellow, let alone instant red card is a pretty sad reflection of the game really.

Granted, it's a very minor point in the context of all this, but it was just something else that stood out for me.

You see Prem glamour boys calling and swearing at the ref every game on Sky. Now when I played on the local parks I was fined via bookings and sendings off under the very same rules these prima donna's perform by the FA for the very same offence.

Edited by Lags

Liverpool Echo have reported that Ian Goodison is in custody following the same scandal.

He was their best player when he played against us this season too, struggling to see why at 40, with all his experience, he'd get involved in something like this. (if he is anyway, of course its just an allegation).

I agree that the problem lies with regulation.

Some countries do not allow online gambling at all (lots of states in the US for example) - probably more due to social and economic reasons.

I wouldn't argue for that, however, I believe as a society we are at the opposite end of the spectrum. There appears to be very little regulation from our government with respect to online gambling. It's also impossible these days to watch a sporting event without being bombarded by adverts offering free bets, the latest odds or bet in play.

When there is little regulation on what or how you can bet it becomes difficult for a sport to regulate the implications of betting. I'm sure there is some element of the governing bodies of sport being complicit - I would imagine gambling brings a lot of money in the form of sponsorship and advertisement to the game - If I'm honest I don't know? If the sport and gambling industry aren't regulated to a greater extent then the evidence suggests someone somewhere will always be tempted into corruption. It is much harder for example (but not impossible) to fix the result of a team game than it is to ensure there is a throw-in within the first 15 seconds of a game.

The sport probably doesn't want to lose out on the money / sponsorship / support it receives from the gambling industry.

The industry itself will not self regulate; they want the money of the thousands / millions of punters week in and week out. They also want the government's resources to be available to investigate and prosecute those who are (admittedly) breaking the law by exploiting the ease and methods of betting. I think they have a lot to answer for, however, we can't have it both ways. Either we want our online gambling or we don't.

The government won't regulate because they want the taxes of the betting companies - and they are probably reliant on the cash the gambling industry now provides.

Tough situation all around but I can't see there being any widespread change soon. Any resolution to recent cases, unless significant and addressing the root cause of the problem, will just be papering over the cracks. We'll go back to a state of blissful ignorance until the next time someone is filmed saying something rather silly.

To the above poster. I'm confused.

How exactly are you proposing to regulate the gambling industry without restriction the freedoms of those who want to gamble?

Or are you simply quite content to do the latter? If so, I am firmly against your proposal.

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

I agree that the problem lies with regulation.

Some countries do not allow online gambling at all (lots of states in the US for example) - probably more due to social and economic reasons.

I wouldn't argue for that, however, I believe as a society we are at the opposite end of the spectrum. There appears to be very little regulation from our government with respect to online gambling. It's also impossible these days to watch a sporting event without being bombarded by adverts offering free bets, the latest odds or bet in play.

When there is little regulation on what or how you can bet it becomes difficult for a sport to regulate the implications of betting. I'm sure there is some element of the governing bodies of sport being complicit - I would imagine gambling brings a lot of money in the form of sponsorship and advertisement to the game - If I'm honest I don't know? If the sport and gambling industry aren't regulated to a greater extent then the evidence suggests someone somewhere will always be tempted into corruption. It is much harder for example (but not impossible) to fix the result of a team game than it is to ensure there is a throw-in within the first 15 seconds of a game.

The sport probably doesn't want to lose out on the money / sponsorship / support it receives from the gambling industry.

The industry itself will not self regulate; they want the money of the thousands / millions of punters week in and week out. They also want the government's resources to be available to investigate and prosecute those who are (admittedly) breaking the law by exploiting the ease and methods of betting. I think they have a lot to answer for, however, we can't have it both ways. Either we want our online gambling or we don't.

The government won't regulate because they want the taxes of the betting companies - and they are probably reliant on the cash the gambling industry now provides.

Tough situation all around but I can't see there being any widespread change soon. Any resolution to recent cases, unless significant and addressing the root cause of the problem, will just be papering over the cracks. We'll go back to a state of blissful ignorance until the next time someone is filmed saying something rather silly.

You've got it completely the wrong way.

The source of these gambling allegations is in Asia. There is no problem with the British regulation of football gambling; in fact, we have one of the most sophisticated systems in the world to prevent any corruption.

The countries that ban gambling are the places that match/spot-fixing originates from, as they supposedly - according to the law - don't require programmes that monitor patterns in betting - making it easier for fixers to organise whilst being untraceable.

In response to your idea that online gambling should be unavailable, gambling firms will lose out on money therefore their methods to avoid corruption will be out of date as they have less to invest, making us susceptible to advanced fixers within our own county; which is why the government are passing a bill soon to give money to bookies to improve their defence against corruption.

I do agree that it was inevitable that spot-betting would be exploited, which allegedly is how the accused players sought to fix, but the actual problems lie abroad where gambling is illegal, rendering the system manipulatable if you can find yourself a player who is willing to take money; perhaps we need more education on that front, but greed will usually prevail. The foreign market first needs tackling before we look domestically.

Edited by NewBlue

To the above poster. I'm confused.

How exactly are you proposing to regulate the gambling industry without restriction the freedoms of those who want to gamble?

Or are you simply quite content to do the latter? If so, I am firmly against your proposal.

I wasn't proposing anything. I was just making observations - inaccurate ones it would appear as I take on board NewBlue's comments.

I've just read a little (and I mean a little) about the foreign illegal betting markets and can see that they provide a problem which local regulation cannot address.

If only it was a simple as I'd described. It leaves me feeling a little disheartened that this is a very real problem within modern day sport which won't go away anytime soon.

Edited by Armchair

I find it peculiar, that in spite of the lack self monitoring that asian betting markets are adapting, that thousands of pounds placed on on an obscure event (such as Cristian Montona getting booked against Wolves or Notts County) isn't immediately obvious.

Or maybe it was obvious, and it was an anoymous tip off from the East which alerted the Sun.

Does anyone know why the Sun started investigating these players?

I find it peculiar, that in spite of the lack self monitoring that asian betting markets are adapting, that thousands of pounds placed on on an obscure event (such as Cristian Montona getting booked against Wolves or Notts County) isn't immediately obvious.

Or maybe it was obvious, and it was an anoymous tip off from the East which alerted the Sun.

I'm guessing that the bet wouldn't be on something as obscure as "player x to get booked in the first half."

It would be more likely that the people offering the bribes are bookies. And if they can guarantee a yellow in the first half or the game, then they will doctor some odds that they are offering to make them more attractive to people, knowing that they are false odds and the bookie has a much better chance of winning.

For example, if they thought that they had a guaranteed booking for Montano in the first half against Wolves, and under 2.5 cards in the first half would usually be 4/7, they might offer it at 10/11 to tempt people to bet on it. Knowing then they only have to get 2 genuine bookings rather than 3 and all those people betting on it would lose the money.

(Obviously, I might be well wrong, but that's what I'd guess the fix is on)

I presume they got a man inside one of the betting rings and my guess would be Sam's ring.

Maybe football will have to try to look after itself as opposed to the whole problem being tackled via betting. What I mean is that every player, playing to a certain level must agree to a clause in their contract stating if found guilty of illegal betting practice then 75% of wages paid become payable back. Whilst the FA impose a minimum 8 year ban. Effectively cutting short a career by half. Make the sentence too great to risk.

The football league say that they are not investigating the rumour that 25 players also said this to the referee on Saturday since it would take too long to interview 3500 supporters who said exactly the same about Mr Williamson

I'd go along with Dave's theory. It doesn't have to be betting on one game either, if you know you have 4 or 5 first half bookings in the bag that would be enough to set odds across the division with ease and near impossible to pick an easy pattern

Charlie Mac was on GMR with Mike K before and said the lads haven't really been talking about it and are just getting on with a big week now for the club on the pitch.

That said he'd just said five minutes before re United that any issues in the dressing room stay in the dressing room and aren't discussed in public, so make of that what you will...

Enjoyed Mike saying he had to leave the press room to celebrate when Wabara scored against Liverpool.

Charlie Mac was on GMR with Mike K before and said the lads haven't really been talking about it and are just getting on with a big week now for the club on the pitch.

That said he'd just said five minutes before re United that any issues in the dressing room stay in the dressing room and aren't discussed in public, so make of that what you will...

Enjoyed Mike saying he had to leave the press room to celebrate when Wabara scored against Liverpool.

Yeah, I asked that question, wasn't sure whether they were going to ask it.

Fair play to McDonald for answering though, think i've seen posted elsewhere that LJ said it will motivate the lads to get better results and play an honest game.