North Stand Construction Thread

The price doesn't include any drinks apart from champagne on arrival. They took a fair amount more money over the bar too on Friday too.

Good on them, i think? I mean he's obviously a top chef, so you don't mind paying top prices - aslong as the drinks are reasonably priced then good on latics, a great deal they've struck with Simon, I'm guessing he won't last long round this way if he's as talented as reports suggest.

I'm with BP though, forget the beetroot ice cream just give me a meat and potato pies with peas and chips I'm sorted.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time in the Broadway suite today for Nathan's wake and the food was lovely best meat potato pie supper I have ever had. However, the beer was dreadful tasted like it had been there for sometime. Expensive as well £4 for a San Miguel and £4.50 for a bottle of Budweiser at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

I wonder if that pic if Barry mopping the floor indicates the club do have an interest besides just landlord?

Getting the premises up and running means they can start charging rent.

So I'd say two separate businesses. Albeit with Corney owning 97% of one and 50% of the other.

First time in the Broadway suite today for Nathan's wake and the food was lovely best meat potato pie supper I have ever had. However, the beer was dreadful tasted like it had been there for sometime. Expensive as well £4 for a San Miguel and £4.50 for a bottle of Budweiser at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

You enjoyed it that much you had two!!! Sure you had room for more too :)

At least the club is making money!!!!!! posh grub all the way £££££ pie and mash fo home food not money making

Well I for one will be stopping at home then. Beer at £4 is far to high.

Captured audience prices so prevelant in this country IMO.

And every other country that isn't either China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea or Vietnam...!

And every other country that isn't either China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea or Vietnam...!

There are many other countries where restaurants are run by people just wanting to make a living rather than a fortune.... Spain, Greece, Thailand to name a few....

£7 for a bottle of water in a place in Beijing the other week though.

Tea £5

Beer £2.

There was a good programme on last night, Tricks of the Restaurant Trade. I did not see all of it, so it might be not quite so even handed, but it showed how much of a meal a place makes.

Before you even start, 80p of that is VAT. So the actual income drops to £3.20 for that pint.

In the case of the beer/food in the OEC.

You have Staff to serve you, unlike at home. NI. Tax.

Pay extra to have the food and drink delivered to the premises

You have the heating, lighting.

Business Rates.

A management structure.

3 yearly Food Hygiene training courses for all staff. For the whole day. Up to 3 levels. Level 3 for the Chef is a 3 or 4 day course costing over £250.

Holiday cover for the staff.

Till Equipment

Catering Equipment

Bar service

Servicing arrangement for all the equipment and possibly repair costs.

Uniforms

Table Cloths and Laundry

Nicer cutlery and probably glasses. The glasses cost more becasue they have to be Weights and Measures stamped

Fire Safety Equipment

The list goes on.

It's not really captive,because you have to get people to book into the place

And all that is more than the cost of the ingredients.

There are many other countries where restaurants are run by people just wanting to make a living rather than a fortune.... Spain, Greece, Thailand to name a few....

I was specifically talking to the point of a "captured market" - the examples I gave are nationalised versions of the same thing, of course. Just that generally speaking if you're in a Capitalist market place with no competition you will find a price-hike occurring.

There was a good programme on last night, Tricks of the Restaurant Trade. I did not see all of it, so it might be not quite so even handed, but it showed how much of a meal a place makes.

Before you even start, 80p of that is VAT. So the actual income drops to £3.20 for that pint.

Business Rates.

A management structure.

3 yearly Food Hygiene training courses for all staff. For the whole day. Up to 3 levels. Level 3 for the Chef is a 3 or 4 day course costing over £250.

Till Equipment

Catering Equipment

Bar service

Uniforms

Table Cloths and Laundry

Nicer cutlery and probably glasses. The glasses cost more becasue they have to be Weights and Measures stamped

Fire Safety Equipment

The list goes on.

Close, 67p VAT.

The sentiment of your post is right though. People will be comparing it with their local pubs though where they buy in large quantities and can have smaller margins. They'll also all complain about paying £4 for a pint and then go into Manchester and happily pay £5 a pint in a place like Albert Schloss' where that's the cheapest!

Business Rates.

A management structure.

Till Equipment

Catering Equipment

Bar service

Uniforms

Table Cloths and Laundry

Fire Safety Equipment

The list goes on.

A spuds a spud..pretty cheap wherever you buy them.

Same with a teabag, just add hot water, but the mark up is enormous.

Whilst having it delivered to the premises will always make it a tad more expensive, all those costs listed are additional to you buying it from the supermarket. It's not even an exhaustive list. The net profit is not that huge.

I take exception to that massive over simplification. Tea is a magnificent drink, an art form at its best. I can't drink Tetley, PG Tips are any other such abominations. Cheap dust. I get mine from Fortnum and Mason (£15 for a pack of Earl Grey). Different class:)

Whilst having it delivered to the premises will always make it a tad more expensive, all those costs listed are additional to you buying it from the supermarket. It's not even an exhaustive list. The net profit is not that huge.

They buy wholesale though, not from supermarkets. I can understand people wanting a good night out and paying a bit extra for the costs of staff etc, its really some multi nationals who take the biscuit (forgive the pun).

Whilst I agree one spud is the same as another - having worked in catering at the "upper level" you can guarantee that Gordon Ramsey pays a lot more for his spuds than the Brewers Fayre do

So I'm flying over for my first 'home' match since the new stand opened next month. The Chaddy End was always where I'd head to - but now that's obviously not an option.

Now that things have changed around, where's the best for noise/craic/atmosphere? I can't make up my mind to go for the new stand, or the RRE...

If there's more noise in the RRE I'd head there - but does that mean that I won't be able to get into the bar in the new stand after the final whistle?

Any help with this appreciated.

Archived