North Stand Construction Thread

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They buy wholesale though, not from supermarkets. I can understand people wanting a good night out and paying a bit extra for the costs of staff etc, its really some multi nationals who take the biscuit (forgive the pun).

But you can't beat a bit of fine dining. The work that goes into it is truly impressive and well worth the money. Food as art. You can't beat it.

So I'm flying over for my first 'home' match since the new stand opened next month. The Chaddy End was always where I'd head to - but now that's obviously not an option.

Now that things have changed around, where's the best for noise/craic/atmosphere? I can't make up my mind to go for the new stand, or the RRE...

If there's more noise in the RRE I'd head there - but does that mean that I won't be able to get into the bar in the new stand after the final whistle?

Any help with this appreciated.

If you're after noise then it's the RRE, although depending on who we play there looks to be some decent craic on the Chaddy side of the North Stand. Millwall fans exchanged some chants towards that part of the ground. If we're playing a side that might bring a few that could be an option.

As for the bar in the new stand, no idea. Not even sure they've announced proper details yet.

So I'm flying over for my first 'home' match since the new stand opened next month. The Chaddy End was always where I'd head to - but now that's obviously not an option.

Now that things have changed around, where's the best for noise/craic/atmosphere? I can't make up my mind to go for the new stand, or the RRE...

If there's more noise in the RRE I'd head there - but does that mean that I won't be able to get into the bar in the new stand after the final whistle?

If you are after noise go in the Chaddy. No noise in the rest of the ground,

If you are after noise go in the Chaddy. No noise in the rest of the ground,

I know you're (probably understandably) bitter about the Chaddy, but let's not pretend it was anything other than sterile by the time it was consigned to away fans...

I know you're (probably understandably) bitter about the Chaddy, but let's not pretend it was anything other than sterile by the time it was consigned to away fans...

I think he's referring to the present noise levels from the rest of the ground, not to previous seasons.

But away supporters will always make a lot of noise.

I see from the official that prize winning pie-makers Bradleys Bakery were match sponsors against Colchester United.

Does this mean they now supply the pies?

If they do we will be rivalling Norwich for top place in the food quality league.

Nah, Wrights supply the pies now.

Now that things have changed around, where's the best for noise/craic/atmosphere? .

The Chaddy End.

It wasn't.

Me and the group I sit with would rather be in the chaddy than the new stand. I've spoken to a number of people who feel the same. Most don't come on OWTB so no doubt I'll be shouted down by the vocal minority.

I'd like to see the chaddy reopen to season ticket holders.

BP has been like a morgue all season, except for the Chaddy End. When the team decided to play for 25 minutes, the atmosphere in the North Stand was good. IF Shez is a miracle worker, it could be brilliant.

You're not allowed in the new stand's Broadway Suite before, at half-time or after the game unless you're a 100 Club member. On Saturday, regardless of where they watch the game, 80 are being allowed in the bar in the hut on stilts between the Chaddy and Main Stand from 11:30am and again after the game, with the TV matches being shown. The first 50 get a free mini pie!

It wasn't.

Me and the group I sit with would rather be in the chaddy than the new stand. I've spoken to a number of people who feel the same. Most don't come on OWTB so no doubt I'll be shouted down by the vocal minority.

I'd like to see the chaddy reopen to season ticket holders.

Just because you want to be there doesn't make it any less sterile. Anyone who 'stand-hopped' would tell you that.

That's not to say it shouldn't have remained the home stand however. There's a lot to say about tradition and keeping your fans happy, even if it had lost all of its atmosphere and life...

Cheers gentlemen (and ladies?!!)...

I reckon I'll go to the RRE.

I don't intend to dig up the whole closing the Chaddy debate again - but this is the first time it's hit home and for me it's all about tradition. Going to matches was always a big deal for me cos it's basically a mini-holiday, and it has always been to the Chaddy we'd go.

It's going to be odd heading to the RRE instead - but I reckon a few pints before, during and after the match will help me get over it!

There was a good programme on last night, Tricks of the Restaurant Trade. I did not see all of it, so it might be not quite so even handed, but it showed how much of a meal a place makes.

Before you even start, 80p of that is VAT. So the actual income drops to £3.20 for that pint.

In the case of the beer/food in the OEC.

You have Staff to serve you, unlike at home. NI. Tax.

Pay extra to have the food and drink delivered to the premises

You have the heating, lighting.

Business Rates.

A management structure.

3 yearly Food Hygiene training courses for all staff. For the whole day. Up to 3 levels. Level 3 for the Chef is a 3 or 4 day course costing over £250.

Holiday cover for the staff.

Till Equipment

Catering Equipment

Bar service

Servicing arrangement for all the equipment and possibly repair costs.

Uniforms

Table Cloths and Laundry

Nicer cutlery and probably glasses. The glasses cost more becasue they have to be Weights and Measures stamped

Fire Safety Equipment

The list goes on.

It's not really captive,because you have to get people to book into the place

And all that is more than the cost of the ingredients.

Around £1.48 of your average 4% big brewery pint is excise duty, which makes up the net cost of the product, upon which VAT is then charged. An awful lot of tax.

Around £1.48 of your average 4% big brewery pint is excise duty, which makes up the net cost of the product, upon which VAT is then charged. An awful lot of tax.

Not exactly...a Brewers barrel (36g) of 4% beer attracts £120.24 beer duty tax. There are 288 pints in a Brewers brl so more like 42p per pint is duty tax. The average cost (inclusive of beer duty tax) of a pint to someone like Oldham FC will be around £1 per pint. If they are retailing at £4 then after VAT (£3.33) they will be making around cash margin £2.33 per pint or 70% GP per pint.

Not exactly...a Brewers barrel (36g) of 4% beer attracts £120.24 beer duty tax. There are 288 pints in a Brewers brl so more like 42p per pint is duty tax. The average cost (inclusive of beer duty tax) of a pint to someone like Oldham FC will be around £1 per pint. If they are retailing at £4 then after VAT (£3.33) they will be making around cash margin £2.33 per pint or 70% GP per pint.

Excellent points

70% being the norm, before all the other costs listed.

And I forgot to add, that the OEC won't be operating longer hours and everyday like a pub would, to recoup some of the fixed overhead costs. Albeit some of the fixed costs can be absorbed into other departsments/ parts of business.

Cheers I misread the site that I quickly googled.

Surely the decline in pub numbers tells us there isn't a massive profit in selling pints? Or that taxes make it impossible to sell them cheaply enough to get sufficient trade in.

Again not really... Profits in beer for some pubs are still relatively healthy in isolation as a product...the decline in pub numbers is on the whole related to reduction in consumption...too many wet led boozers for a more health conscious, drinking in the home, entertainment in the home generation of consumers. Pubs that don't have some sort of food offering or alternative 'reason to visit' are no longer desirable for the majority.

Leased & Tennanted pubs are a different story though...those publicans pay high beer prices and also high property rents and are usually lucky to make 40-50% GP on beer which isn't really sustainable

Again not really... Profits in beer for some pubs are still relatively healthy in isolation as a product...the decline in pub numbers is on the whole related to reduction in consumption...too many wet led boozers for a more health conscious, drinking in the home, entertainment in the home generation of consumers. Pubs that don't have some sort of food offering or alternative 'reason to visit' are no longer desirable for the majority.

Leased & Tennanted pubs are a different story though...those publicans pay high beer prices and also high property rents and are usually lucky to make 40-50% GP on beer which isn't really sustainable

I acknowledge all that you say, but it doesn't stop me thinking there isn't a huge actual profit on a pint of beer.

I was specifically talking to the point of a "captured market" - the examples I gave are nationalised versions of the same thing, of course. Just that generally speaking if you're in a Capitalist market place with no competition you will find a price-hike occurring.

You should know about captured markets, you think all bars smell of burnt cinnamon and sell Pabst for a tenner..

I acknowledge all that you say, but it doesn't stop me thinking there isn't a huge actual profit on a pint of beer.

I understand what you are saying, food and drink and most FMCG products don't make massive margins because of the volumes they shift. Beer is affected more than most because of the levels of duty tax. Other alcohols by volume such as cider have much Lower duty levels simply because they haven't been around for as long.

Archived