Hands Tied for Corney

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which part of the article says that we won't miss the £700k and we will one day get everything in side sorted without a different magic Raindbow....

If I am over stepping the mark presuming it will be empty... You are no less doing so at this point thinking losing £700k isn't going to result in issues.

Edited by oafc0000

• Wasn't their fault when we had a global crash when they where just about to start the Oldham Arena...
  • Wan't their fault when the council :censored:ed up with Failsworth...
  • Wasn't their fault when the funding was withdrawn for the Tuck Shop....

They have some :censored: luck don't they.... Notice how its always someone else...

Now I agree with you.

I honestly don't know exactly how much such a company would do... But yeah, I am guessing they would do a hefty chunk of the fittings. But wouldn't they expect certain basis like water supply, gas, electric and so on ?

But we do know the budget is £700k down and that was going to pay for something. And I think we can presume we don't have a ready injection of £700k to replace it...

So maybe Barry could clear up exactly what the short fall will be...

Edited by oafc0000

Ok I shouldn't say he has failed to deliver it as we aren't there yet. That's unfair and I take it back. What I mean was the warning signals that its going to come in under what was planned are there for all to see. His comments + the facts £700k is missing speaks volumes to me. Its not like he has reassured us at any point the £700k will be made up / won't stop us delivering the scheme. Largely all we have his him threatening to resign at the moment and telling us another project Is hitting funding issues.

I don't call an empty stand with some seats as completing the project,

Edited by oafc0000

Which part of the article says that we won't miss the £700k and we will one day get everything in side sorted without a different magic Raindbow....

If I am over stepping the mark presuming it will be empty... You are no less doing so at this point thinking losing £700k isn't going to result in issues.

I'm not saying it isn't, but I don't see how in any way fault can be attributed to him for either the funding being withdrawn or him not being able to just 'find' £700,000 to complete it all by August.

Forgive me but the quote system isn't working for me today for some reason.

Frankly...

I stopped coming because I lost hope in the current situation. Our investors had gone, Corney failing to deliver a new future, Trust not doing its job (in my opinion), the signing of the like of Lee Hughes, sacking of managers while on a promotion push (Sheridan), poor manager appointments (Talbot etc), the Failsworth disaster. I just saw it as throwing good money after bad. The reality is when the Oldham Arena project failed and with more of the land being sold off. The hope of the club not slowing fading away became a distant hope. There is a point where you say enough is enough.

I stopped coming three years ago which makes it a hard case for people to say I am like the lot who stopped coming when we came down from the Prem... and again when we came down to League one. I suffered enough terrible football to not be branded a fair weather fan. All the above coupled with a move out of the Town and an increase cost in attending the games.

Now I have a young famiy and other things going on during the weekend to do with them which is a barrier to me coming back.

But I never stopped caring about something I have loved since I was about seven years old.

Maybe I should just move on completely.

Yeah I feel like I have some good ideas and I think the Barry and Corney need to be questioned more and challenged more. But it results in anger from the fans base. It puzzles me really. It almost as if being challenging and asking question is a bad thing.

As a fan base we haven't learnt the lessons from the Moores era unfortunately. Don't trust anyone near to the keys.

Edited by oafc0000

• Wasn't their fault when we had a global crash when they where just about to start the Oldham Arena...

They have some :censored: luck don't they.... Notice how its always someone else...

Yet if we go down SC has said that he will have 'failed'

I honestly don't know exactly how much such a company would do... But yeah, I am guessing they would do a hefty chunk of the fittings. But wouldn't they expect certain basis like water supply, gas, electric and so on ?

But we do know the budget is £700k down and that was going to pay for something. And I think we can presume we don't have a ready injection of £700k to replace it...

So maybe Barry could clear up exactly what the short fall will be...

Perhaps the sales of Tarkowski and Baxter will account for most of it ?

Edited by BP1960

Yes they bailed us out of the :censored: and make no bones, we would have folded......however knock down a stand and constantly promise the ground to be rebuilt and keep taking the promise away (not all in the hands of them, but other's have managed it... Brighton, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Morecambe to name but a few). Then give us several years in a 3 sided :censored: hole, while selling the best talent for next to nowt??? Okay, I can except the loss of the likes of Baxter for such a paltry fee because of the circumstances. The sale of price for Tarky is just undefendable though? I mean Brentford for that price?

Sorry Simon, I don't want you to sell us down the river but if you own a football team then you need to back it financially from time to time or the customers will get fed up.

Yeah TTA were complicit in the ':censored:wittery' of Oldham Council.

He already is backing the club, who do you think is footing the losses? Who do you think takes the decision to allow a manager to stretch the budget (which has happened pretty much every season as far as I can see)?

He isn't blaming the fans either, he's saying we don't have enough fans (which is true and can only be solved by slashing ticket prices - more losses, or getting success on the pitch - unlikely without further losses in the short term at a massive risk) - he also points out we have a really good hard core following which i take as very complimentary to the people who turn up every week/when they can.

I agree they made a mistake knocking down the Lookers but it was done with good intentions, save cost and build something new. The council has put up road blocks to stop that that don't exist, ignoring traffic reports, blocking a move to a different site for one reason or another etc. Simon Corney could not change this, in fact the number of avenues we've been down regarding new stands/grounds in the last 10 years is actually down to the work they've done. When we've been knocked back we've tried something new.

I really don't understand what you want him to say- "Sorry, the council are twats"?. He didn't mean for things to turn out the way they have, he hasn't really made any glaring mistakes. I don't think the way he has backed the club financially can be questioned at all. I understand some people have some personal grievances with SC and I'm in agreement some of his rants in the press sometimes aimed at fans aren't helpful in any way, but in this article I can't see why he should be apologising for anything, he tells it like it is. There's very little if anything there that isn't just a fact.

I don't think Corney will have failed if we are relegated, isn't it nice to be able to think 'if', but I can understand why he might think that and decide to get out.

TTA had high hopes of making money whilst improving the facilities and increasing the home crowd. The double hit of a recession and OMBC left us with one amigo and a ridiculously high price on the club as well as fewer paying supporters. FFP now makes it impossible to buy your way out of league 1. Loads of money can get you more supporters and hence a better team but only indirectly. Corney doesn't have loads of money but he has still managed to get us a new stand and will continue to fight to get it finished. His hope and my hope is that the news stand will turn round the decline in the numbers supporting the club allowing a better team and a higher finish.

And just look at the poll on this forum:

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45016-fao-simon-corney/

90% of forum users want Corney to stay.

And I'd say this forum is usually a lot worse to the players and management than the average fan who doesn't use the forum.

I blame modern football, let what happens in the boardroom and background happen. So many fans think they can do a better job because they got Oldham to the Champions League final in Football Manager but they have no idea how much money and work goes into running a club!

And then they complain when Corney is silent and complain when he speaks up!

“If you look at our crowds, we have an amazing hard core there, but people have to wake up and realise that our support is at League Two level. We keep ourselves in League One artificially and it is a dangerous game to play.”

A ludicrously overblown statement from Mr Corney. The support is at 'league 2 level' due to the repeated drudgery of the product on the pitch season after season.

We know the fans are out there; cup games and lower price ticket offers have shown people are willing to come. Make a success of the fundamental reason we all go and, what do you know, the crowds increase!

Of course, a lot of what he says makes perfect sense.

However my main frustration with Corney is that none of it is ever the fault of him or the other 2.

Yes they bailed us out of the :censored: and make no bones, we would have folded......however knock down a stand and constantly promise the ground to be rebuilt and keep taking the promise away (not all in the hands of them, but other's have managed it... Brighton, Shrewsbury, Rotherham, Morecambe to name but a few). Then give us several years in a 3 sided :censored: hole, while selling the best talent for next to nowt??? Okay, I can except the loss of the likes of Baxter for such a paltry fee because of the circumstances. The sale of price for Tarky is just undefendable though? I mean Brentford for that price?

Sorry Simon, I don't want you to sell us down the river but if you own a football team then you need to back it financially from time to time or the customers will get fed up.

You continue to tell us you will walk away and give it to the fans but nobody wants that because it will fold. If you are serious about finding a buyer like you have always promised, then you need to start asking less for the land and the club and we can move on.

Stop blaming the fans all the time and take some ownership for bad decisions you and your pals made and back us or sell us.

I never thought I would see the day when little Rotherham were getting three times as many fans as us through the door.

And before anyone has a go, I am still a season ticket holder who attends every home match (and several away) and pay what I can into Playershare.

Bang on. Corney's right but we're lucky to have what we've got after 17 monotonous years of the, taking away a couple of great seasons, the same old :censored:.

The thing that bothers me most about what he says is the suggestion that that's how it's always been and that's how it will always be. People have a pop at supporters' negativity but there's very little Corney says to inspire people. It's always "doing our best". Positive news about the stand but his comments are still depressing.

I think It's obvious that Corney and the others have taken us as far as they can and that's fine, but that's not to say we're a dead duck. Right investment and the right words and things change instantly.

I'm sure he doesn't mean to but we come across as a lost cause when he speaks. Whether consciously or not, that's got to have an effect on fans' mindset.

I love the implication that Simon Corney was responsible for the global economic meltdown; priceless.

We have become a Div 2 size club because of a total lack of progress and continual decline year on year. Rochdale wouldn't get 6000 in the championship and are what I would call a div 2 club.

Corney should have said we have the potential to be a championship side...if only we could produce a decent team on the pitch...instead, indirectly again he blames the fans...typical!!!