Hands Tied for Corney

Regardless of who you blame, Corney is actually bang on with the league 2 remark if going off crowds alone. We are currently 29th in league 1 for average attendance. BIT factor in the league 2 averages and it puts us 25th out of 24 so top of league 2.

Having said that i expect crowds to go up by around 1000 next season if we stay up due to the potential geography of league 1 and ghe new stand being built. But even that only nudges us up 3 places.

We have been in this league now the most out of any of the others, including our current 17 year stint. So i would say we are about where we should be right now.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going off the amount of people I know/came across who used to go to Boundary Park when there were 4 stands and good football being played, there are ALOT of people who stay away. I'm pretty sure that we have alot of supporters who choose not to go due to relegation fighting every season. They would definately come back when we have the new stand built and at the other end of the table. Unfortunately, I don't see us getting in the top 10 for quite a while.

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

Guest Scratch2000uk

Corney can do no wrong is some peoples eyes on here, They complain about what might be,or what might happen if Corney goes, Yet are prepared to defend him, no matter what he says. Whatever might happen to Latics in the future, it will almost certainly get worse under this regime. I think Corney has pretty much affirmed it tonight. People should be happy with that, it seems some are.

Corney can do no wrong is some peoples eyes on here, They complain about what might be,or what might happen if Corney goes, Yet are prepared to defend him, no matter what he says. Whatever might happen to Latics in the future, it will almost certainly get worse under this regime. I think Corney has pretty much affirmed it tonight. People should be happy with that, it seems some are.

I don 't think anyone is 'happy' with what he has said. But is it not realistic? Yes he is partly to blame, no doubt about it. But we can 't change what has happened and the alternative doesn't bare thinking about. Just ask portsmouth or stockport.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don 't think anyone is 'happy' with what he has said. But is it not realistic? Yes he is partly to blame, no doubt about it. But we can 't change what has happened and the alternative doesn't bare thinking about. Just ask portsmouth or stockport.

Wont we end up like Stockport or Portsmouth though, he's off if we get relegated isn't he?

Edited by Scratch2000uk

It's the way he says things that make them counter productive

Looking at his comments another way.........what sort of message does it send out to Lee Johnson?

On another topic............didn't Corney suggest some time ago that there were going to be some additions in the boardroom a while ago or have I dreamt it?

We were once a stable Championship side. Not that long ago either, and could be again. Support levels would rise with several Championsip sides filling the RRE, and an increase in our own support. The problem would be the lack of ambition shown by the building of a L1/2 stand, giving us a capacity of only 13000.

We were once a stable Championship side. Not that long ago either, and could be again. Support levels would rise with several Championsip sides filling the RRE, and an increase in our own support. The problem would be the lack of ambition shown by the building of a L1/2 stand, giving us a capacity of only 13000.

IIRC our capacity after the new stand is built will be more than it was with the Lookers standing, and therefore more than the last time we were in the equivalent of the Championship.

Edited by rudemedic

Why do some people keep referring to broken promises?

TTA came here with plans not promises - at no expense to the fans.

Do some people really think no serious money has been spent and no effort made to effect those plans?

There is plenty of evidence that they have made mistakes, received poor advice, assured things were possible then it turned out otherwise and the daddy of a lifetime financial crisis.

Why do some people keep referring to failure and poor management?

40 clubs have been relegated from L1 in the last 10yrs, some of them are in the Conference or lower. Probably all of them envious of our stewardship.

Why do some people feel they have entitlement to a stranger riding into town to throw millions at the ground and/or players for the pursuance of their hobby?

We don't have a wealthy fan who wants to throw money at a few thousand citizens to sustain their hobby, but plenty who think a stranger should be doing just that. Throwing money at a football club in the often disastrous plunge towards bankruptcy.

Why do football fans expect a wealthy business person to be able to identify a potentially successful football manager?

There is certainly enough evidence out there that these rich owners fail time, after time, after...There are not many consistently successful managers out there and all of those are out of our range. Like most other clubs we need to be lucky.

Why do some resting fans feel compelled to deride our present owner/s efforts, further debilitating the clubs efforts to go forward ?

Whatever you may feel about TTA they have not failed the club, only the expectations of the many fans who have stopped going and think stabilisation and consolidation is less important than regeneration and a winning team. These fans have shot the club in the foot

TTA have been honourable and stoic throughout their ownership of 'our club'. Many may well like to be shut of them but fail to see the spiralling negative effect their absence has on the club. In truth, they pretend to care, but not enough.

Supporting your club is entirely optional. There is no right to success on those terms and there never will be. Doing it yourself won't work either, even if you had the money, there are 23 other teams waiting for you.

Edited by mikeroyboy

Got to live within your means. We can't splash out on an extra 2500 seats to make the stand 5000 when we can't even afford to finish the stand completely without someone magically whipping up £700,000.

Yeah TTA were complicit in the ':censored:wittery' of Oldham Council.

He already is backing the club, who do you think is footing the losses? Who do you think takes the decision to allow a manager to stretch the budget (which has happened pretty much every season as far as I can see)?

He isn't blaming the fans either, he's saying we don't have enough fans (which is true and can only be solved by slashing ticket prices - more losses, or getting success on the pitch - unlikely without further losses in the short term at a massive risk) - he also points out we have a really good hard core following which i take as very complimentary to the people who turn up every week/when they can.

I agree they made a mistake knocking down the Lookers but it was done with good intentions, save cost and build something new. The council has put up road blocks to stop that that don't exist, ignoring traffic reports, blocking a move to a different site for one reason or another etc. Simon Corney could not change this, in fact the number of avenues we've been down regarding new stands/grounds in the last 10 years is actually down to the work they've done. When we've been knocked back we've tried something new.

I really don't understand what you want him to say- "Sorry, the council are twats"?. He didn't mean for things to turn out the way they have, he hasn't really made any glaring mistakes. I don't think the way he has backed the club financially can be questioned at all. I understand some people have some personal grievances with SC and I'm in agreement some of his rants in the press sometimes aimed at fans aren't helpful in any way, but in this article I can't see why he should be apologising for anything, he tells it like it is. There's very little if anything there that isn't just a fact.

Once again you have me all wrong Leyland.

TTA saved us and it says that in my post. The ":censored:wittery (as you say) of Oldham Council" is and for many years has been there for all to see.

Our home attendances have dropped by 50% in the last 10 years, can you imagine the outcome if that happened elsewhere? You totally missed the point of my post because I don't want him to just "hand it over to the fans" as he keep's threatening. That would be the death of OAFC...simple as! I have started to wonder if that's what TTA want if I'm honest. They started backing us to the hilt, it went tits up and then the other 2 bailed. Corney is very rarely there these days, so perhaps they would like it if we folded and they could stop backing us?

If you keep diluting the product, you will piss the customers off and that is what has happened.

I want him (them) to back us or sell us............but nobody is going to do that while they are claiming a "League 2 sized club" is worth millions of pounds!

For all those saying we were a championship club. Does anybody want to mention that the game has moved on standard wise and money wise.

How many clubs have Manchester United and Manchester City right on their doorstep? Equivalent....Tranmere? What level are they at.

Time has moved on we didn't keep up but that was due to bad business management well before Corney and the other 2.

We have the income and the crowd of a league 2 club. We are a league 1 club for the moment, Corney is trying to build the potential to be more.

Edited by palmer1

Our forced short-termism means only a memorable season will save us. We can't build because we sell as soon as we produce another young, talented player. It makes perfect sense from the financial perspective.

Corney, whilst meaning well, is a bit of a pillock when it comes to using the Chron as a mouthpiece. His unforgivable attack on the supporters (now the "hard core") pushed me ever closer to the "sell" brigade.

For all those saying we were a championship club. Does anybody want to mention that the game has moved on standard wise and money wise.

How many clubs have Manchester United and Manchester City right on their doorstep? Equivalent....Tranmere? What level are they at.

Time has moved on we didn't keep up but that was due to bad business management well before Corney and the other 2.

We have the income and the crowd of a league 2 club. We are a league 1 club for the moment, Corney is doing his best to shrink us down so much that everyone will just :censored: off and not kick up to much of a fuss, so him and the other 2 can sell the land.

Fixed the last bit for you!

Our forced short-termism means only a memorable season will save us. We can't build because we sell as soon as we produce another young, talented player. It makes perfect sense from the financial perspective.

Corney, whilst meaning well, is a bit of a pillock when it comes to using the Chron as a mouthpiece. His unforgivable attack on the supporters (now the "hard core") pushed me ever closer to the "sell" brigade.

Where/when has he attacked the hard core? Ever?