Yes, I agree. But shareholders in companies don't get the right to see everything.

Yep exactly, but they may get to see more about some things and less about others compared to what the trust sees. Also it may depend on the wording of the agreement(s) between the trust and the owners, because technically if Barry sees some stuff then the trust sees the same, and it is up to Barry as to how much he reveals to both the trust as a whole and the fans as a whole too. Something he, from my standpoint, struggles with, the same way there is absolutely no reason why he is giving interviews on behalf of the club when the other members of the board can do that.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In his ‘Message to the Fans’ in January 2013, following the victory against Liverpool, Simon Corney said:

“Trust Oldham can play a key role in the rebirth of this club. I want to see fresh ideas from them and more interaction.

This is your club - and you can help it.”

The fans, via the trust, have a right to know as much as any shareholder at any other business does. The trust also has the right for its agreement with the owners from the time the trust donated its money, and any possible further agreements since then to not be broken without penalties. It will depend on the wording of that (those) agreement(s) as to what say the owner has on who has the fans' seat on the board. If that wording means the owners have final say about it, no matter who the trust elect to the position, then that is IMHO a serious error on behalf of the trust, and questions will need to be asked how culpable those people from the trust are.

Yes, I agree. But shareholders in companies don't get the right to see everything.

Especially where the shareholding is so insignificant.

IT is to Barry's credit that he has garnered a position of some trust from Simon Corney, despite is miniscule holding.

That said, Barry will only find out what SC allows him.

I was a shareholder in a business owned by Stelios, and as a member of staff had a bigger shareholding (percentage wise) and worked there daily, but still knew sod all about what was going on.

It could be limited to the minutes and docs to support the Agenda and that is about it.

I would think that if a new fans representative were elected, they would need to work hard to be accepted by Simon Corney.

Regardless of guarantees or not of a fans position on the board, it is very easy to freeze someone out of all decision making and choke them of information. Especially when there is one owner.

3% may guarantee a place on the board but it won't guarantee the same level of access Barry clearly has.

Oh all this talk about corporate structure is bollocks. It was agreed between the trust and the club we would have a seat. If someone wants to back out of that then it speaks volumes. Likewise I hope its not being used as a tool to promote a certains person right to the seat.

Perhaps we can start a 'Fight your personal battles here thread', any fighting talk in any other thread will be sin binned to that one. :wink:

Actually maybe we could have this as a sponsored fund raiser...aren't I twisted....maybe though in those padded sumo suits...heheh. Thrash out your differences

But I bet if woman were handbagging it on here there would be a suggestion on mud wrestling instead I bet...so maybe not

The fans, via the trust, have a right to know as much as any shareholder at any other business does. The trust also has the right for its agreement with the owners from the time the trust donated its money, and any possible further agreements since then to not be broken without penalties. It will depend on the wording of that (those) agreement(s) as to what say the owner has on who has the fans' seat on the board. If that wording means the owners have final say about it, no matter who the trust elect to the position, then that is IMHO a serious error on behalf of the trust, and questions will need to be asked how culpable those people from the trust are.

Shareholders do have rights but not to automatically sit on the board. The Trust started from a low base of knowledge and I think it's unfair to second guess that they got something wrong and even if they did, criticise them when no one knew any better.

At the end of the day, if there isn't a good relationship between fans rep and owner, it won't work regardless of what is written in a contract.

I struggle with this. It's not Barry's seat on the board. It's the Trust's seat on the board. This won't be a gentleman's agreement dependent on Barry being the chosen one. It will be part of the construct of the company.

I'm sure Barry's job as Director isn't the same as what was agreed initially . Wasn't he made a Director a few years ago .

I'm sure Barry's job as Director isn't the same as what was agreed initially . Wasn't he made a Director a few years ago .

No he was made a Director then, but since the other two landlords left, along with Alan Hardy (both around the same time), he has become more prominent, even becoming acting CEO for a period.

It's true that a fan's rep won't be as effective if he doesn't have a good relationship with Simon, but he or she won't do the job well if they don't see their role aside from the club either. I don't think the fans would elect a revolutionary to the role given the choice

My day job is admin with attitude......so if need be I'll be shoving leaflets in yer hands, sticking them under you windscreens in the car park or at least be a visible presence in the stand I'm in, either representing the player share or the trust

Actually maybe we could have this as a sponsored fund raiser...aren't I twisted....maybe though in those padded sumo suits...heheh. Thrash out your differences

But I bet if woman were handbagging it on here there would be a suggestion on mud wrestling instead I bet...so maybe not

White Collar Boxing would be great - "in the Chaddy End, fighting out of Seat Number L73........."

Or a Royal Rumble instead of an election when Barry's directorship is up?

My day job is admin with attitude......so if need be I'll be shoving leaflets in yer hands, sticking them under you windscreens in the car park or at least be a visible presence in the stand I'm in, either representing the player share or the trust

My day job is looking at a problem, where people's lives depend on finding a solution, where there will be serious financial implications for services if no solution is found, where I'm the last possible person they could ask because all the easy things have been tried, me coming up with solutions based on comprehensive assessment, and then being told my solution costs too much, and they'll ignore my advice, thank you very much. Oh, and can't I just have 'a chat' with the person in question instead.

If anyone can find me a role in the Trust with that skill-base, I'll consider it.

Yes, I'm having a bad day.