The World Cup 2014: Unofficial owtb discussion thread

I actually dont know whether it was a great German performance or a shocking Brazil performance. Maybe a bit of both.

Three of the first half goals involved misplaced passes from the Germans. The first was just the worst marking ever.

While it was an extraordinary result it wasn't anything like a brilliant footballing display.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of the first half goals involved misplaced passes from the Germans. The first was just the worst marking ever.

While it was an extraordinary result it wasn't anything like a brilliant footballing display.

Free beer?

I thought in their first game v Croatia that they looked like a team that couldn't cope with the pressure and expectation of playing in a home tournament. Think some of their players will really, really struggle to recover mentally from that.

German fans must be thinking what they could achieve if only they had a football system full of teams who are owned by wealthy overseas investors...

...and if only they could get rid of cheap admission and standing at matches.

Reminds me of England in 1966.

Not sure how to put it on here, but there is a video taken from the stands at the Holland match that shows Ron Vlaar's penalty rolled into the net after the keepers initial parry...

So, the moment the ball goes away from goal in a penalty shoot-out the ball is dead. That's always been the rule, but was broken in the France v Brazil pen shootout in '86

The ball hits him again- see

http://youtu.be/Ca29t9LCtpI

Therefore the ball is dead the moment it hits him (albeit inadvertently)

Edited by rudemedic

Congrats to Germany on the win.

Been a cracker of a World Cup; 171 goals scored means it a record equal to France '98.

The group stages in particular were fantastic; and the emergance of the likes of Costa Rice, Chile, Columbia....and to lesser extents USA, Algeria have made it all the more a spectacle.

I think we also witnessed the passing of the baton with Spain's awful early exit and the win for Germany. Their average age for the entire squad was 26, and the stand outs from the starting X1 are 22, 23, 24 & 25 years of age. I can see that squad dominating like Spain have just done for a good number of years now.

It also has finally shown, i think above all doubt, that we; as in our National Side, are a million miles away from ever winning the thing. Compare our squad of players to some of the other nations and we are lagging painfully behind.

Congrats to Germany on the win.

Been a cracker of a World Cup; 171 goals scored means it a record equal to France '98.

The group stages in particular were fantastic; and the emergance of the likes of Costa Rice, Chile, Columbia....and to lesser extents USA, Algeria have made it all the more a spectacle.

I think we also witnessed the passing of the baton with Spain's awful early exit and the win for Germany. Their average age for the entire squad was 26, and the stand outs from the starting X1 are 22, 23, 24 & 25 years of age. I can see that squad dominating like Spain have just done for a good number of years now.

It also has finally shown, i think above all doubt, that we; as in our National Side, are a million miles away from ever winning the thing. Compare our squad of players to some of the other nations and we are lagging painfully behind.

Can't argue with you Sly - and ain't it friggin' depressing?

I used to engage with the typical 'we hate Germany' stuff when I was younger but now all I can do is admire them. They've built generations of good teams that play football the right way. Players like Lahm, Klose and Schweinsteiger are immense.

Germany is also being rewarded for realising that having a successful national team IS the most important thing, not how much you can hype your own domestic league. Okay, I'd give a lot to Latics to one day make the Premier League again but it's completely killed any chance of England winning a major trophy (unless we get a good bunch of players together at the same time like in 2006, when we really had a chance).

Since winning it the first time in 1954, the Germans have qualified for every single World Cup and on every occasion but one have made the last eight. Yet, our FA are furiously trying to replicate Spain instead, on the back of one exceptional generation of players.

Since winning it the first time in 1954, the Germans have qualified for every single World Cup and on every occasion but one have made the last eight. Yet, our FA are furiously trying to replicate Spain instead, on the back of one exceptional generation of players.

Read that 6 of that side who played in the starting X1 (& 7 is you include Reus who would have been a certain starter had he not been injured) played for the Germany U21s against our lads & twatted us 4-0 in the final of the U21s in 2009.

In our entire squad, only James Milner played in that same game; and he didnt start a game for us.

Speaks volumes that does. Continuity, time-served development together, experience of tournament football through the levels, a sense of teamwork / team-bonding...yep, and also a heavy hand dealt with sheer talent; but - even still; its a model to follow.

Oh, and their top league; and their football system in general, also now pisses all over ours too.

Read that 6 of that side who played in the starting X1 (& 7 is you include Reus who would have been a certain starter had he not been injured) played for the Germany U21s against our lads & twatted us 4-0 in the final of the U21s in 2009.

In our entire squad, only James Milner played in that same game; and he didnt start a game for us.

Speaks volumes that does. Continuity, time-served development together, experience of tournament football through the levels, a sense of teamwork / team-bonding...yep, and also a heavy hand dealt with sheer talent; but - even still; its a model to follow.

Oh, and their top league; and their football system in general, also now pisses all over ours too.

I'd go a step further about the under 21s and say that the Germans have more drive to be the best footballers. Not sure what it is about the English, maybe things like money and celebrity are more important than winning?

There are huge problems from top to bottom in how the English game is run but the players need to accept some :censored:ing responsibility themselves as well. At all levels/ages.

There are huge problems from top to bottom in how the English game is run...

Rio Ferdinand has the figures: 700 3G pitches in the UK compared to 5000 in Germany - source(!) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2664577/Englands-World-Cup-exit-wake-call-fix-mess-rans-We-need-coaches-facilities.html

Danny Mills has the UK at "1000 3G pitches behind Germany" - source http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26766742

I don't trust either of the sources, anyone have anything more substantial?

But how do we sort our mess out?

The obvious route is to make the Premier clubs start with a number of English players but I've no idea if that is legally enforceable.

But a bigger problem is not just the lack of UEFA badged coaches in this country compared to Germany, France, Spain and Holland but the quality. Ex-players get their badges but train kids to play the same football that has failed us for years. Maybe it's time to import someone to oversee and overhaul the coaching system (I could be wrong on this one but wasn't Gerard Houllier considered by the FA because he sorted out French football?) and also bring in a whole layer of foreign coaches to start with, say, 10 year olds and moving forward with them and the following age groups and breaking the cycle.

Oh, and give the Under-21 manager the power to demand players for age group tournaments.

Edited by mikejh45