The World Cup 2014: Unofficial owtb discussion thread

We all agree there are too many foreign players in the premiership and this is restricting the development of young English players, however, the total population of Costa Rica is 5 million, Uruguay has even less at 3.5million, Population of England....54 million!!

Something is sadly wrong.

Give chances to good footballing centr bacls liek Harry McGuire

Dan Gardner and Duncan Watmore worth a call up

They would certainly have shone against England.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think Harry McGuire and James Tarkowski could have done no worse than Cahill and Jagielka?

I doubt though Roy Hodgson will have heard of anyone outside the Premiership.

The worst thing about this post is I think you're being serious.

Grief.

Edited by jsslatic

The worst thing about this post is I think you're being serious.

Grief.

They laughed just like you when I said Lambert could play for England when he was at Rochdale .

If you have seen Harry McGuire tell me for certain he won't play for England, you can't can you?

Perhaps he will. But two youngsters who have spent the last few years playing in the third tier of English football wouldn't have done no worse than Cahill and Jagielka? And Hodgson will obviously have heard of players outside of the Premiership and they're rightly not on his radar for selection.

Anyone who dares use the excuse against Uruguay about the heat needs there head banging against a wall.

On arrival and most of the day in Sau Paulo the conditions heat, clouds drizzle it was not much warmer than an average day you find anywhere in England.

Edited by oafctom

If you have seen Harry McGuire tell me for certain he won't play for England, you can't can you?

But that's not what you said, is it? How can anyone say FOR CERTAIN that he will or won't? Your initial point was that him and Tarkowski would have done no worse than Cahill and Jagielka, nothing to do with his potential future as an England player.

Roberto Martinez is one season into his Everton career. He's not going to give that up to manage England.

After looking back at the two games, I honestly think the problem was more the tactics than any single player.

You look at teams like Ecuador, Chile, Mexico, Columbia (never mind the likes of France, Holland etc.) they can all keep hold of the ball, build up play slowly, work hard as a team and are capable of a killer pass to take apart a defensive.

Our mob look like a bunch of strangers who just knock it to the quick fella on the wing, who gets it up the pitch as quick as possible, before whipping in a poor cross or being dispossessed.

I didn't like the fact we moved Sterling (who was arguably our best player against Italy) out of position to acomodate a miss-firing Rooney. We'd have probably been better sticking Lambert in the middle, he's looked a damn site more clinical than Rooney. Or even having Rooney right up in a #9 role (where he played when he scored his most goals for Utd), and have Sturridge/Sterling sit behind.

The defence are the poorest in an England side in years, but surely they can be drilled into defending as a unit. Uruguay nearly scored twice directly from corners! If there was not enough support down the left from the midfielders, why not stick Milner on the left to track-back and aid the defenders, like he does well for City. That's when he's not being replaced by some multi-million pound foreign player (oh how we love the Premiership).

Think I'm done for now.

Edited by ShireBlue

That Ghana v Germany game was another belter.

Well the 2nd half was. could have been 5-5. The Ghana players were out on their feet at the end,they gave it everything some England players should take note. Also another good co-commentary from Danny Murphy.

Crazy talk! :wink:

Almost.

Yikes. Didn't see that coming. Very harsh result on Iran, that was a great performance. And Iran should have had a penalty for the challenge by Zabaleta on Dejagah. Nothing anyone could have done about Messi's goal, though.

They should have played 'next goal wins' in the Germany-Ghana game, that was brilliant.

My thoughts;

Rebuild the squad and mould it into team not a group of individuals.

Shift out all the old guard, Yes including Rooney.

Ditch the ones just not good enough at top level, Henderson, Jagielka, Wellbeck.

Give Ross Barkley the playmaking role.

Bring in a manager who can build footballing teams, Roberto Martinez is my choice.

Stop mollycoddling players, why did they need a psychiatrist? the captain should motivate the team.

Get rid of all the extra coaches and analysts addling players brains, Yes I mean you Gary Neville.

Look beyond the top Premier league teams for players.

More to add if you wish.

For the World Cup you have to pick a squad of 23 players. And 11 get in the team. We have to pick the best 23 English players. And unfortunately this is what we have got. We could well ditch those players because they aren't good enough. But we will only be replacing them with players that aren't good enough.

If we are ever going to do anything, teaching kids how the play the right way is the way to go about it. We need to be coaching kids at a very young age that the ball is something you should want to have and look for, and not something that you need to get rid of as soon as possible. We need to be teaching kids to pass and move so that by the time they are teenagers it's second nature, and by the time they are adults they are pretty good at it.

Until we change the way kids are taught when they start playing football, the only way we will produce a top class England side is by getting very lucky that 11 quality players come through at the same time.

Bloke 1 (in a Chelsea shirt, that that matters: "OH, " when Robben misses a chance.

Bloke 2: "Do you have him for first goal?"

Bloke 1: "No, but he's a Protestant, :censored:ing Chile aren't. Germany are half and then there's nothing left."