The World Cup 2014: Unofficial owtb discussion thread

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict the future England manager will be Roberto Martinez, now you can tell me why not?

Good shout......BUT whoever gets the gig still has to deal with same pack of sh*t. There is a shortage or real quality coming through and that is not going to improve.

I predict the future England manager will be Roberto Martinez, now you can tell me why not?

Non-committal AND passive aggressive. Tres bon.

For what it's worth I don't see the point of getting rid of Hodgson at this point. It's not exactly his fault the one English top class centre half got hung out to dry.

I'm on the fence when it comes to Hodgson because there have been a lot of positives and by taking chances and getting a bit of luck from the ref we could have won both games. But he's made a couple of crucial errors. First of all is what appears to be a team tactic of standing off - the alarm bells should have been ringing after that Ecuador goal but we keep conceding goals because we constantly allow players too much time on the ball in dangerous areas.

Secondly - Welbeck. I really don't see what more Lallana could have done in the warm ups to deserve a start. And when he came on last night he was quick around the field and showed a good touch. Welbeck was supposedly picked for his defensive abilities but Italy's second was a direct result of his poor tracking back. He's offered very little in attack too. Lallana should have started last night, or at the very least come on for Welbeck at half time.

Roy probably has to stay but only because of a lack of english coaches in top jobs. Which is a much bigger issue than the amount of foreigners in the premier league. It's a shame so many of the top retired england/premiership players would rather sit in a tv studio than continue on into coaching.

Gary Neville is an option, but would be a massive gamble.

Finally, Gerrard's time is up. He's been poor on the field, largely anonymous when he should be driving us on. He's allowed the game to pass us by and just looks a broken man who's buckling under the pressure of his last chance. Wilshire in for him and Lallana in for Welbeck for the Euro qualifying and the rest can pretty much stay as it is. Unless we find another good CB.

And play with some :censored:ing intensity!

Ox getting injured was a blow, got the technical ability along with blinding pace, Walcott to come back, Barkley, Rooney, Sterling, Sturridge, Shaw, Wilshire - there is some talent there to work with.

Good point about the Ox - probably would have been a starter. But would he have started ahead of Welbeck? Probably not, he would have just not played Sterling.

Lots of positives for the future, we just need to work out how to get them to play together. And we need some better defenders. Terry would have read what was going to happen for that 2nd last night and dropped off. Jagielka got caught in between and let him in.

Welback was fantastic against the Italians. My MOM. But he was poor last night. As were many.

It's been said but Gerrard was :censored:ing woeful. I'd have taken him off, Captain or not, for that performance.

Meh!

There are 1 or 2 real prospects in the squad that bodes well for the future; but one of the main things i dont understand is why the National side just dont seem to be able to play with the same intensity & drive as the same players manage to week in, week out in the Premier League?

Both games were there for the taking, both defences were not up to much, and midfield didnt exactly have much "legs" in either side, yet we didnt really manage to drive at them with any pace or purpose consistently.

We didnt really operate a high press to get at them and win the ball back and out pressure on them, in either game.

I know that the heat / humidity will be banded around as the excuse, but Iran managed to operate a high press game for 90mins, And Chile have done for 2 games now.

Barkley is a real bright spot, Sterling too. Ox is still young and a real talent. Hopefully Shaw comes on and keeps developing. There is decent talent there for the future, but we need to start to play a game-plan that the players are very comfortable with and suits them.

We were chasing in both games but he doesn't bring on a striker until the 87th minute.

Gerrard has always been disappointing for England and always lets us down. Lampard on the other hand has scored big goals at big tournaments when needed, it's shocking how quickly he gets dismissed.

Milner is the only winger who puts in crosses rather predictably cut inside EVERY TIME.

We have pace to burn on the wings and through the middle with Barkley, Wilshire, Sturridge and Rooney, we need to learn to sit back, keep possession and break teams down on the counter as it's the only time we look threatening. All the other times we just clueless and unable to play that killer ball in the final third.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Ibrahim Toure, the younger brother of Kolo and Yaya, who played for Lebanese side Al-Safa SC, died in Manchester yesterday, after a battle with cancer.

Terrible shame, especially when his brothers are out at the World Cup.

I notice City were quick to get a statement out, after dissing Yaya royally on his birthday.

My thoughts;

Rebuild the squad and mould it into team not a group of individuals.

Shift out all the old guard, Yes including Rooney.

Ditch the ones just not good enough at top level, Henderson, Jagielka, Wellbeck.

Give Ross Barkley the playmaking role.

Bring in a manager who can build footballing teams, Roberto Martinez is my choice.

Stop mollycoddling players, why did they need a psychiatrist? the captain should motivate the team.

Get rid of all the extra coaches and analysts addling players brains, Yes I mean you Gary Neville.

Look beyond the top Premier league teams for players.

More to add if you wish.

My thoughts;

Rebuild the squad and mould it into team not a group of individuals.

Shift out all the old guard, Yes including Rooney.

Ditch the ones just not good enough at top level, Henderson, Jagielka, Wellbeck.

Give Ross Barkley the playmaking role.

Bring in a manager who can build footballing teams, Roberto Martinez is my choice.

Stop mollycoddling players, why did they need a psychiatrist? the captain should motivate the team.

Get rid of all the extra coaches and analysts addling players brains, Yes I mean you Gary Neville.

Look beyond the top Premier league teams for players.

More to add if you wish.

Some good points especially re Barkley. With players like Hart, Sterling, Sturridge, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Lallana, Shaw, Cahill, there is a lot to look forward to.But the coaches, analysists and psychiatrists will always be there. The more defeats will bring in more of these so called experts. Over complication is what is destroying the game IMO, back to basics (where have I heard that phrase before).

Non-committal AND passive aggressive. Tres bon.

For what it's worth I don't see the point of getting rid of Hodgson at this point. It's not exactly his fault the one English top class centre half got hung out to dry.

With respect Hodgson isn't the man Zorro, Martinez could be if given licence to change the structure of the English game.

However, if you have men at the top like Greg Dyke nothing will change.

Edited by BP1960

We all agree there are too many foreign players in the premiership and this is restricting the development of young English players, however, the total population of Costa Rica is 5 million, Uruguay has even less at 3.5million, Population of England....54 million!!

Something is sadly wrong.