• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to Radio 4 on the way to work and heard Dr Emily Ryall senior lecturer in philosophy at the University of Gloucestershire discussing this very issue. Good grief and I thought we were a football club. In fairness she made a couple of points I agreed with, I just want to be listening to my club on the sports programmes not the news.. 1. As for as the board is concerned this is not about morals just Latics trying to get a good player on the cheap. 2. Footballers / sportsmen shouldn't be singled out as role models, why are they any different to any other entertainers e.g. actors, singers. Anybody wanting to listen should be on here shortly http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04wtwfl at about 7.40.

The majority of their argument also rests on the fact they don't want him to walk into a high paid job, when in fact, if they were to take a moment out of their witch hunt and jump off that bandwagon, they'd maybe see that he will not be paid much more than me or you.

For most of us, less.

I think my main argument is that hes convicted of a serious crime which he's never shown any remorse for. Why should he be allowed back into what is a very high profile job with lots of media attention. Can you imagine the impact that has on the victim, her family and other rape victims? I've seen so many awful comments on the Oldham facebook page from young adults and teenagers who take the view that it was not rape because she couldn't remember that is what happened - we live in a very dangerous culture where it is acceptable for people to think that.

I think my main argument is that hes convicted of a serious crime which he's never shown any remorse for. Why should he be allowed back into what is a very high profile job with lots of media attention. Can you imagine the impact that has on the victim, her family and other rape victims? I've seen so many awful comments on the Oldham facebook page from young adults and teenagers who take the view that it was not rape because she couldn't remember that is what happened - we live in a very dangerous culture where it is acceptable for people to think that.

We also live in a very dangerous society when social media and mob rule determine who employs who !!!!!!!

SSN reporting that they don't expect any further announcements regarding the potential signing today

If this goes into a 4th day: serious questions need to be asked.

Has he already been signed and we are trying to get out of it?

Nonsense

Apparently any groundswell of opinion is now a "mob".

This is a counterbalance to Kite http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jan/05/oldham-athletic-ched-evans-money-morals

Edited by LaticsPete

We also live in a very dangerous society when social media and mob rule determine who employs who !!!!!!!

Ignoring social media and mob rule, surely it should come down to whether or not the fans want him? I think 76 pages shows this is a very contentious signing that will have huge implications. The other polls show the majority of people don't want to sign him and if we do we will lose 25% of the gates from our home games.

Not worth it!

Views like the Henry Winter article are what are going to stick here. Whether we sign him or not.

Thank you Simon Corney, thank you Barry Owen, thank you Neil Joy.

You saved my club 11 years ago. Since then we have had wall to wall success.

Now you have given us this.

An as yet 3 day PR masterstroke.

The quicker all 3 of you are out of the club, the better.

This just about sums up my feelings too!

That's an excellent article by Melissa Kite, as galling as it is that she writes for the Daily Mail.

I totally agree, he should be able to find a club, because there is no second tier of punishment in society. However the market should dictate that club, so we should see such a toxic individual ignored by all professional clubs. Eventually his talent will find a semi-pro club where he can get £200 a week and maybe do another job too.

If he makes it back into professional footy in three years time having been hoofed round the Conference then people will care less about the past.

If, if, if. I don't really care about Ched, although I do hate the talking heads who want publicity around this topic and have done since long before we were involved. He has served his time and deserves to rebuild his life, but every club has to address their moral compass when it comes to signing such an unpleasant individual. I for one am gutted that ours seems to be so out of balance that we'd go for it.

The handling has been abysmal, but even opening this Pandora's Box was so utterly bereft of any right thinking that I am staggered.

Ignoring social media and mob rule, surely it should come down to whether or not the fans want him? I think 76 pages shows this is a very contentious signing that will have huge implications. The other polls show the majority of people don't want to sign him and if we do we will lose 25% of the gates from our home games.

Not worth it!

None of this is worth it. Those in favour seem to think he's some sort of superstar, which he isn't. Imagine if Paddy Madden had been inside straight after his top scoring season in 2012/13 - would it have been worth all of this to sign him?

It's all just so thoroughly depressing.

I hear you, but it's dead simple, he can never show remorse for this crime, the moment he does is the moment his career is over.

Being a convicted rapist is one thing, being a self-acknowledged rapist is quite another.

I hear you, but it's dead simple, he can never show remorse for this crime, the moment he does is the moment his career is over.

Being a convicted rapist is one thing, being a self-acknowledged rapist is quite another.

Rubbish! He can pull down his site initially, that doesnt acknowledge/accept anything it just gives the morons a less easy way to hound the victim in this affair

This is 100% my problem with it. I believe in the justice system (and admit its flaws), he served the sentence as it was given to him and was (with restrictions accounted for) free to seek employment with any club. At this point I would not be delighted but I could tolerate his signing - it would stick in the throat but it would be 'legitimate'.

The reason I am opposed is his attitude (and that of those paid by his father in law) since release. I don't object to him defending his innocence and I don't object to him not apologising (I understand this implies guilt). But he could have come out and said "I'm innocent, I will defend that to my death, but I appreciate the pain this woman suffered and I will go about my defence in private".

He's clearly not short of money - he's not on the streets if he doesn't work. He didn't need this circus.

Sadly for us, Barry has seen fit to not only assist in its creation but build it for him!

Barry Out.

In the grand scheme of things, this may seem trivial, however I'm getting a little irritable at some of the journalism.

Dependent on the source, Verlin Rainwater solutions are either our 'main sponsor' or 'main stand sponsor' as that suits the journs more than just sponsor of the Away End.

'Sponsors' are pulling out as soon as Mecca Bingo tweet.... again sounding better for the journos.... when in fact they are no such thing.

Mr Verlin was on national TV last night giving an interview and his company and Mecca Bingo received national coverage as a result of their actions.

Dan Roan of the BBC referred to LJ as 'Carl Johnson' on twitter yesterday.

Today, Sky Sports have released the results of a survey on League One and Two clubs after asking them if they would sign Mr Evans.

League One

Talks Ongoing = 1

Yes = 0

No = 9

No Comment = 8

Yet to Respond = 6

League Two

Talks Ongoing = 0

Yes = 0

No = 5

No Comment = 14

Yet to Respond = 5

On numerous levels this survey means absolutely nothing.

Whatever your opinion on whether we should sign Mr Evans or not, one things is true.... The media frenzy on Furtherwood Road care not one jot about anyone involved in the case or the rights or wrongs of Mr Evans' future employment.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Rubbish! He can pull down his site initially, that doesnt acknowledge/accept anything it just gives the morons a less easy way to hound the victim in this affair

If he had confessed to the crime then we wouldn't even be having the discussion, no club in the country would even entertain the idea of taking him.

This subject has got out of hand.

I have just had a text informing me that "Evans signing for Oldham" made the Queensland (Oz) ABC TV news tonight!

It must a slow day up there.

It was not mentioned on Victorian ABC news (thank God).

I just feel the hounds have been let out on Evans and to a lesser extent the girl involved.

Yes. Excellent piece.

I'm softening but I still don't want him to sign for our club.

Even if his actions are ultimately deemed not to have been rape they were still the actions of an utter wrong un.

It's become apparent over these last two days that many young lads think this is perfectly normal, acceptable behaviour.

I understand Evans not apologising to a victim he maintains has ruined his life and he needs to stick to that position while he attempts to clear his name.

But what's to stop him, at the very least, putting out a message to young lads (and women) that this type of thing isn't big or clever but is wrong and dangerous for all involved?

"Look what it's done to my life (& the girl who's falsely accused me). Two lives ruined. Don't ever get involved in anything like this...."

Edited by HarryBosch

He hasn't been accused or tried for offences against a minor so why should he be banned from such activities. And frankly, to pin him as some predatory paedophile is way out of order, regardless of your stance on the original offence.

This isn't my opinion mate, it's what the register allows for and may not be applied to him (as I had said).

Perhaps you should actually read what people say before commenting!!!