Premier League TV rights sold for £5bn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talksport said earlier that if Bournmouth can go up this season and survive until the deal kicks in, it will them put them into the top 30 richest clubs in the world. Good luck to them but what total bollox!

They won't be happy until they have killed the rest of the game in this country.

Was football better before the premier league? Too :censored:in right it was!

Edited by palmer1

As in Italy, when the bubble bursts, there will be a hell of an implosion.

I was reading this week that AC Milan have been granted planning permission for a 48,000 capacity stadium, Juve moved into a similar sized stadium a few years ago. I remember when both clubs could pull 70K+ crowds for the big games, Italian football is truly a fallen giant. It might have more to do with corruption though than TV deals.

I was reading this week that AC Milan have been granted planning permission for a 48,000 capacity stadium, Juve moved into a similar sized stadium a few years ago. I remember when both clubs could pull 70K+ crowds for the big games, Italian football is truly a fallen giant. It might have more to do with corruption though than TV deals.

Read an article that it was poor stadiums owned by the local authorities that have lead to Italy struggling juves new stadium means they have leaped forward interms of how much they take on match days. Milans stadium will move them forward Roma are planning to do the same. They are now doing what clubs in England did 20 years ago.

Logic says at some point the TV deal will hit a ceiling. It could be interesting to see how internet streaming effects the pl and how that effects how people view football. It could go the way of the music industry where the pie gets smaller.

talksport said earlier that if Bournmouth can go up this season and survive until the deal kicks in, it will them put them into the top 30 richest clubs in the world. Good luck to them but what total bollox!

They won't be happy until they have killed the rest of the game in this country.

Was football better before the premier league? Too :censored:in right it was!

The fallout for them if they fell out of the premier league could be catastrophic though as over about a 4 year period their revenue could shrink by 90%. You see now wigans entire team that won the FA cup 20 months ago has left the club as they now face a world where the parachute payments run out and they have to adapt to FFP.

The effect to us currently going up into the championship is tough not only are we competing against established championship clubs who get 20000 in but teams coming down from the PL with £40million of parachute payments as a head start that's now that will jump another 70%. We've seen clubs like Scunthorpe Yeovil and Doncaster go up and struggle to survive up there as a result.

If we went up this season I would bite your hand off for 21st position in the championship in May 2016 if it's offered.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility to have a suitable business model for separate lower league TV rights (League 1 and League 2)? I know any funding to clubs would have to offset losses on the gates but there are some pretty big fan bases in the lower leagues and I imagine it would would help promote the leagues and gain more fans as people's secondary teams...

Is it beyond the realms of possibility to have a suitable business model for separate lower league TV rights (League 1 and League 2)? I know any funding to clubs would have to offset losses on the gates but there are some pretty big fan bases in the lower leagues and I imagine it would would help promote the leagues and gain more fans as people's secondary teams...

Maybe ITV could set up a digital channel....

Just 5% of that deal put into a fund for the development of lower league club facilities (ground improvements etc) could allow grants of £12.5m to be distributed each and every year and the capital of £250m would never diminish (in fact it would probably grow if managed correctly).

Simple, fair, for the good of the game... and will never happen.

TALK:censored:E radio was proposing that prem clubs drop ticket prices completly this morning to give back to the fans as clubs will no longer need attendance money to cope.

it wont happen because they are all to greedy but can you magine if that happened? Final nail in the coffin for lower league clubs.

the 'experts' really do not care about anything other than the premier league and most of these spent their careers at clubs now mainstays in the football league - CLUELESS!!!!

I dislike the Premier League and all it represents as much as the next person but it often strikes me that I started watching us in front of 4000 in Div2 in the late 80's & I'm still watching us in front of 4000 now a league lower.

And I thoroughly enjoyed last night. And have enjoyed much of this season.

Conventional wisdom says it's bad for the lower leagues but, is it really? How?

Nobody ever does quite go to the wall as we're told we all will.....

TALK:censored:E radio was proposing that prem clubs drop ticket prices completly this morning to give back to the fans as clubs will no longer need attendance money to cope.

it wont happen because they are all to greedy but can you magine if that happened? Final nail in the coffin for lower league clubs.

the 'experts' really do not care about anything other than the premier league and most of these spent their careers at clubs now mainstays in the football league - CLUELESS!!!!

theyll keep the prices at just about the right level to keep the lower classes out of their gleaming football palaces

The main effect of this will be better paid players and agents. It might make it just too tempting for an owner do an Oyston and pocket the lot as soon as they get up, with parachute payments to look forward to. Conversely the Bournemouth example suggests that some will break the bank to reach or stay in there when this kicks off.

Difference to us? Not much. Maybe even more loan eyes available (to everyone) for free.