New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few posts from Cheltenham's forum when he was sacked...

"He will get a managers job and I wouldnt be surprised if it was in League 2 and reasonably soon, 5 years is a long time to hold down a football managers job these days, and I wouldnt be surprised if he does well it was just that the love affair went stale here."

"Think he'll resurface in the conference but perhaps a league two club would take him, maybe even a cash strapped league one side."

"He was the right man at the right time to give the club some TLC and did well to keep us up.

However, losing in the play off final with a team good enough for automatic promotion was down to his tinkering, and proved he was only a middle of the road manager. The following season was poor to watch, and after we lost to Northampton, from there the whole thing fell apart.

I don't think Yates had the quality to get us over the line to a promotion, but I think we would not have gone down either - he is better than that.

The ambition of the board Is clearly to be better than middle of the road, they have taken a big gamble, and I hope it pays off."

Experienced lower league manager vs inexperienced coach who took a pay cut to work for Latics.

Yeah I suppose I'm looking at it as if we're paying Holden a managers salary (which we're not I suppose)

But if we were to appoint Mark Yates it can't be on anything more than a few peanuts can it?

Why trust Rodgers or Giggs? There is only private interests to be gained. Their vested interest certainly isn't with Oldham Athletic.

Yates would be underwhelming but that's not to say he can't succeed. I won't write any manager off until they've been given a chance. The worst managers have had success and the best managers have failed as well. Management is situational.

One thing I do worry about though is that we have a few players who may be sought after or could consider leaving in the summer, and Yates isn't a name that would make you think your club has ambition.

Why trust Rodgers or Giggs? There is only private interests to be gained. Their vested interest certainly isn't with Oldham Athletic.

Yates would be underwhelming but that's not to say he can't succeed. I won't write any manager off until they've been given a chance. The worst managers have had success and the best managers have failed as well. Management is situational.

One thing I do worry about though is that we have a few players who may be sought after or could consider leaving in the summer, and Yates isn't a name that would make you think your club has ambition.

Any manager who can get the best out of average lower league players on a below average budget is worthy of consideration.

Barnes is talking out of his arse. He had two jobs and was :censored: at them both.

Ince was given plenty of chances. Curle failed at Notts County and is back in work at Carlisle. Powell was sacked at Charlton and reemployed at Huddersfield not long after. Hughton hasn't struggled for work after sackings.

Of the admittedly few black managers in recent years, the only two I can think of who haven't got back into work are Barnes (after two chances) and Kiwomya.

I'll stand corrected if there are more.