New Manager thread.

Dowie would have come for him and not for the club. I wanted him purely as a catalyst to get this season back on track but Holden appears to have achieved this already....

If Holden continues to get the wins and gets the best out of our players who are contracted next season then he deserves an extended tenure as manager. I wasn't sold on his appointment and saw it as a cheap option but he's doing what's expected of him and whilst he doesn't come over as the most charismatic, he does seem to be a grafter and has the support of the players.

How much is down to him and how much is down to Philliskirk though?

It's hard to tell but this upturn has coincided with TP's involvement.

Hopefully that's just coincidence and Holden keeps winning, keeps the job and takes us up this season or next....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully that's just coincidence and Holden keeps winning, keeps the job and takes us up this season or next....

Little doubt Philliskirk has had an impact, said last night it was odd to not have him involved from the start.

I do like the look and sound of Holden though, they might look elsewhere this time but can certainly see him as manager at some point in the future.

It's hard to tell, he must have had an impact but then there's also Gerrard coming in to the defence and a more settled side in general, plus Sadler, Woodland getting more game time under their belts.

If he goes unbeaten til the end of the season playing a decent standard of football then I think he'd have earned a proper crack at it. I'm not sure what his contacts are mind, but with the right experienced assistant it could work. Presuming TP goes back to the youths as he normally does.

It's hard to tell, he must have had an impact but then there's also Gerrard coming in to the defence and a more settled side in general, plus Sadler, Woodland getting more game time under their belts.

If he goes unbeaten til the end of the season playing a decent standard of football then I think he'd have earned a proper crack at it. I'm not sure what his contacts are mind, but with the right experienced assistant it could work. Presuming TP goes back to the youths as he normally does.

With Coleman, Saddler, Lockwood, Gerrard, Woodland and Turner - Holden has actually made (by choice, or by force) some quite large changes to the starting line-up from the one he inherited.

From what I have seen these have been good selections and will have made an impact.

Really hard to distinguish where we are at the moment. I don't think as a club we were as good as perhaps we thought we were during the brief periods we hit 5th spot, but we were not as bad as some thought we were (at times me) during the run of 6 defeats in 7 games.

Holden comes in with a team low on confidence, missing the previous manager, loads of injuries, and trying to work out how to establish himself on the team and club.

We cannot get too excited by 2 wins and 2 clean sheets. But the improvement could be down to Holden, down to the addition of TP, down to the new players, down to a bit of the law of averages.

8 more games and we will get to understand a little more.

If it's Holden and or Tony P then I'm not fussed as long as the wins, clean sheets and players delivering continues.

Tony P is OAFC and Holden has been a player and coach for OAFC. Whilst there's no room for sentiment, I'd much rather have people leading the club who genuinely love the club and have an affinity with the club rather than someone with no connection, dishes out the PR flannel but looking for the next step up even before he's seen two seasons out.

Holden seems to have a good knowledge of players at this level based on the loans he has brought in. The team is playing better and Holden seems to respond to events on the pitch such as replacing Connor Brown last night to prevent a sending off. Changes the format of the team around to cancel out the opposition threats during the game.

At the moment what's not to like?

When Wilkinson scored on Saturday at Crewe he ran straight across to Holden to celebrate.

I think that we can get carried away with 2 wins.

The manner of the performances against Preston, MK and Barnsley were pretty dour and lacking (m)any redeeming features.

But that said, it will take time for DH to put his stamp on the team and squad, and there are positive signs.

At the moment the jury is still out for me on Deano - 8 more games to prove what he can do. I think that it is fair to judge him on 1/4 of a season.

Holden seems to have a good knowledge of players at this level based on the loans he has brought in. The team is playing better and Holden seems to respond to events on the pitch such as replacing Connor Brown last night to prevent a sending off. Changes the format of the team around to cancel out the opposition threats during the game.

At the moment what's not to like?

When Wilkinson scored on Saturday at Crewe he ran straight across to Holden to celebrate.

He ran to TP

Steve Coppell is apparently without a job. 2 year promise to get to the Premier League.... :aplayer1:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3011919/Steve-Coppell-win-promotion-Premier-League-two-years-English-football-turned-him.html

Good article, and obviously he is only interested in a team that is in the 22 that have a chance, that will back him, and I'd guess already in the Championship.

Apart from that, I'd have him.

Good article, and obviously he is only interested in a team that is in the 22 that have a chance, that will back him, and I'd guess already in the Championship.

Apart from that, I'd have him.

Aye.

It is clear, after a couple of hours in Coppell’s illuminating company, that he has the itch to work again, but it will only be on his terms.

‘There are 70 clubs you don’t want to manage because you have no chance.

‘Steve Heighway always talks about Bob Paisley at Liverpool: create an environment for your players to win matches. That is the art of management. I can get you promotion within two years if you back me, the Championship is my division, I know what it’s about. If you want a five-year plan, fannying around, building from the bottom up, I’m not your man. I have done that.’

I can't watch this at work, so I don't know what exactly he says about his coaching career, but as an applicant it could be illuminating:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2015/mar/27/winston-bogarde-chelsea-prevented-me-from-leaving-video-interview

Seems an articulate bloke but doesn't say too much other than, as a manager, he'd like to play dominant attacking football but you need to work with the players at your disposal.

Steve Coppell is apparently without a job. 2 year promise to get to the Premier League.... :aplayer1:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3011919/Steve-Coppell-win-promotion-Premier-League-two-years-English-football-turned-him.html

Stopped reading when I got to this line

‘There are 70 clubs you don’t want to manage because you have no chance.

Edited by Dave_Og

Latics also get a mention!

"When I was a player, if Manchester United played Oldham in Division Two they had to share the gate receipts."

:detectivegm0: