New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be the wage budget.

Think ours is rumoured to be around 1 mil.

I've heard around 1.5m for next season.

I imagine the money saved from Holden staying until end of the season will help next season'savailable budget. And it gives Holden good experience and left the door open for him to come very good, as a pleasant surprise, and keep the job himself.

I imagine the money saved from Holden staying until end of the season will help next season'savailable budget. And it gives Holden good experience and left the door open for him to come very good, as a pleasant surprise, and keep the job himself.

How does this compare to other budgets?

How does this compare to other budgets we've had in the past, and other teams in this league?

Well either the £1m figure for his season is wrong or the £1.5m for next is wrong as it's hard to imagine where a 50% increase would come from!

Edited by Dave_Og

Nobody seems to be raisng the question of how many black managers are applying for the jobs that become available. They won't be getting management positions if nobody is applying!

Also for example, if Latics recieved 120 applicants for the post and only one black candidate applied the odds are heavily stacked against that candidate in the first place. Now if Latics recieved 120 applicants and 119 who applied were black and the one applicant who was white was appointed you may start to be suspicious of racist undertones.

I really don't believe this latest media furore about football being racist as there are very few black managers. If Mourinho was black, with the record he has in the game, every club in the world would still want him what ever the colour of skin he had. At the end of the day football is a results business, and clubs will appoint whoever they believe will bring success whatever colour or creed they are. And as has already been pointed out, Barnes, Ince etc. just haven't cut it in management, and that has nothing to do with skin colour at all.

Well either the £1m figure for his season is wrong or the £1.5m for next is wrong as it's hard to imagine where a 50% increase would come from!

Pretty sure the £1 was from the days when Leeslover and Latics & England went and saw the books.

Whilst it won't have rocketed, it is feasible that it would be £1.5m by now.

Nobody seems to be raisng the question of how many black managers are applying for the jobs that become available. They won't be getting management positions if nobody is applying!

Also for example, if Latics recieved 120 applicants for the post and only one black candidate applied the odds are heavily stacked against that candidate in the first place. Now if Latics recieved 120 applicants and 119 who applied were black and the one applicant who was white was appointed you may start to be suspicious of racist undertones.

I really don't believe this latest media furore about football being racist as there are very few black managers. If Mourinho was black, with the record he has in the game, every club in the world would still want him what ever the colour of skin he had. At the end of the day football is a results business, and clubs will appoint whoever they believe will bring success whatever colour or creed they are. And as has already been pointed out, Barnes, Ince etc. just haven't cut it in management, and that has nothing to do with skin colour at all.

I don't doubt it's gone on in the past and maybe it went on a lot but, nowadays I'd be amazed if an applicants skin colour even entered the head of more than 2 or 3 of the 92 owners.

On the one hand, as long as it's aswell as our actual chosen candidates not instead of, I don't see the harm in us, or any other club, having to interview a quota of black applicants but - which one(s)? And who decides which ones? And how? Will they take it in turns? What if 10 black players retire each summer and want to go on "the list" - does the excellent candidate who almost got the job at his last interview have to go to the back of the queue and never get an interview again?

Where does the sought after, well respected black manager who would have definitely got an interview anyway fit in? Does he take the place of the non-outstanding candidate the rule was designed to give a leg up to? Will he be asked not to apply for the next job up because it's not his turn?

There's nothing positive about discrimination.....

Edited by HarryBosch

I don't doubt it's gone on in the past and maybe it went on a lot but, nowadays I'd be amazed if an applicants skin colour even entered the head of more than 2 or 3 of the 92 owners.

On the one hand, as long as it's aswell as our actual chosen candidates not instead of, I don't see the harm in us, or any other club, having to interview a quota of black applicants but - which one(s)? And who decides which ones? And how? Will they take it in turns? What if 10 black players retire each summer and want to go on "the list" - does the excellent candidate who almost got the job at his last interview have to go to the back of the queue and never get an interview again?

Where does the sought after, well respected black manager who would have definitely got an interview anyway fit in? Does he take the place of the non-outstanding candidate the rule was designed to give a leg up to? Will he be asked not to apply for the next job up because it's not his turn?

There's nothing positive about discrimination.....

There wouldn't be a list, surely. My understanding is that if a number of black candidates applied then some of them would have to be interviewed. Whether this is just a minimum of one or a percentage of those that apply I don't know, but I can't imagine you'd have to register as an Out of Work Black manager, it would be open to any black man (or woman) applying.

As for finding it difficult to believe that people would let this issue cloud their judgement...I find it difficult to believe there was a white supremacist rally in Manchester on Saturday, There was though.

Edited by LaticsChris

There wouldn't be a list, surely. My understanding is that if a number of black candidates applied then some of them would have to be interviewed. Whether this is just a minimum of one or a percentage of those that apply I don't know, but I can't imagine you'd have to register as an Out of Work Black manager, it would be open to any black man (or woman) applying.

As for finding it difficult to believe that people would let this issue cloud their judgement...I find it difficult to believe there was a white supremacist rally in Manchester on Saturday, There was though.

In a football world where results and money are so important surely even a properly racist owner would still interview a black candidate he thought might bring him success?

If former high ranking coppers can move heaven & earth to sign convicted rapists......

Who probably represent an even tinier minority than my 2 or 3 owners.......

In a football world where results and money are so important surely even a properly racist owner would still interview a black candidate he thought might bring him success?

If former high ranking coppers can move heaven & earth to sign convicted rapists......

My suspicion is that it's not a case of chairmen/owners thinking "I don't want to employ him because he's black", but more a case of an ingrained distrust of other races/people who are different, possibly because these owners/chairmen are from an older, more ignorant generation.

It's just a suspicion though, because as you say surely nobody would spite themselves in the name of bigotry.

Three black managers now. 3.3% of football league clubs. Black or Black British population of Britain 3.5%. That's as near to a correct representation as you could get.

Now female or gay managers. Well, that is another thing.

Spot on and that's what people have to be aware of.

Getting a bit fed up with all this race issue right across the board.

It's the old saying for me if you are good enough you will make it despite your colour or creed.

Sometimes it gets rammed down your throat so much it actually makes some people racist !!!!

Everything in proportion is better equality.

Three black managers now. 3.3% of football league clubs. Black or Black British population of Britain 3.5%. That's as near to a correct representation as you could get.

Now female or gay managers. Well, that is another thing.

I'd imagine the most 'correct' representation would be the same as the percentage of players who are black. I think that is the argument that is advanced anyway.

I disagree with a lot of what is said on the topic but that is utter drivel on two counts.

It's not this topic so much as life in general.

"can't get a job cos i'm black" attitude.

Some people play the black / race card when it suits them !!!!

I'd imagine the most 'correct' representation would be the same as the percentage of players who are black. I think that is the argument that is advanced anyway.

What about the amount of black people with UEFA Qualifications? I would imagine it is much less.

The bottom line is that the likes of John Barnes saying "Can't get a job cos i'm black" is poppy cock.
He ain't good enough - he had a chance in management and did very little .

There are scores of better managers than him without a job.