New Manager thread.

I'd run over hot coals to get Redders......proved he cuts the mustard both with young players and with the Leeds 1st team (not spent a penny either I don't think?)

Would definitely sit in the 'sell more ST's box'

But wasn't he rubbish as Halifax manager? Is it acceptable to appoint someone who was sacked by Conference side Halifax in the same way it's unacceptable to appoint a manager sacked by L2 Cheltenham..?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But wasn't he rubbish as Halifax manager? Is it acceptable to appoint someone who was sacked by Conference side Halifax in the same way it's unacceptable to appoint a manager sacked by L2 Cheltenham..?

Not if he's a club legend who's been doing alright at Leeds under very difficult circumstances

I don't think he was sacked- he was their caretaker manager and didn't get the permanent manager's job.

He "resigned" from Northwich Victoria- presumably before he was sacked.

Steve Bruce is regularly hired by Prem clubs- often at a cost as he is in a job at the time. He was sacked by the then League 1 (and going down) Huddersfield.

You seem to be confusing me with someone who has formed an opinion on Yates......for the record I haven't

The fact that Yates has been dismissed from another club is not a reason to not appoint (there may be others - don't really know that much about him).

We are either going to get:

a - Newbie - first job

b -Someone who has had success but has failure more recently

c - A manager that has been successful at a smaller, less fashionable club and is looking for a step up with a bigger budget to play with*

As c are probably non-existent, its either a or b.

Yates is b. Managers that have been sacked from Oldham have gone on to do alright on occasions (Ritchie, Sheridan, Dickov, Warnock). If we exclude any manager that has had a bad spell and lost a job then we are down to the newbie only pile.

Might not be a bad thing, but does limit our options somewhat.

Edited by Scapegoat

Holden is giving himself a decent chance with his side putting out decent displays against Dale and Bristol...

I would think performances like Crawley are holding him back. Shame, I really want him to do well. He has done brilliantly considering the injuries, but that was dire today.