League 1 Activity

I think I've said it before but a large number of our supporters have now been programmed to view throwing a bit of money at promotion as a bad thing.

I don't see Bury's squad as being one that would get them promoted unlike one or two others that are being built in this division. I think they're spending on players that are getting on a bit & a few that are a little overrated (or under-achieved). If we were doing that then, yes, I'd be wondering what the plan was beyond the short term - as a few of their fans are, given they've seen what can happen next.

I wouldn't say I'm more bitter towards them & what they're spending, than I'm bitter towards any of the other 7 billion twats that are on this planet. It's not like they've done anything really upsetting like being Sheff Utd so good luck to them but I just don't see it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit embarrassing all this small time bitterness towards Bury isn't it?

Especially when it's on on Twitter for anyone and everyone to see.

I only hope it goes tit's up for them because that would work in our favour.

That aside, good luck to them. I'm envious.

If it does work, at least it'll show our powers that be how it can be done.

Of course we would love to be able to throw money about but there are other clubs to be envious about more than Bury.

The 'if it's your club you'd be lapping it up may well be true', but that's with a blinkered view looking at it from your own club's perspective. Being able to watch impartially allows you to realise how irresponsible it all is.

They've made some good signings for this level but if they don't get quick success they're looking at big problems.

When it comes to envy I'm certainly looking more towards Scunthorpe, who are spending far more wisely.

Bury never learn and it will all come crashing down. This is the club that less that two years ago were asking if they could keep the change on the turnstiles.

I certainly wouldn't be lapping it up if it were us - once bitten, twice shy.

The Kirkland signing is an odd one - he's spent his career on the treatment table and won't have come cheap. I've seen it said above that he'll be good if his injuries are behind him - well he's been blighted by injury throughout his career and he's now what, 32/33? Can't imagine his back will get better the older he is.

To be honest, after the Moore fiasco, I would rather be in our position than Bury's. The risk they are taking is huge and if they don't go up, will they be able to survive?

Imagine the fans reaction too, all these players and we still get dicked by Oldham 6-0!

To be honest, after the Moore fiasco, I would rather be in our position than Bury's. The risk they are taking is huge and if they don't go up, will they be able to survive?

Imagine the fans reaction too, all these players and we still get dicked by Oldham 6-0!

What is our position though?

Looking at it from another perspective - wouldn't us not cashing in on Kelly & Wilson see us passing up a similar amount of money to that which Bury have spent?

Is that "irresponsible" too?

Will it see us "doing a Stockport"?

Considering both continue to be assets, no. We remain to run on a profit.

Loaning money at high rates and spending that on players that aren't saleable and likely to decline during their time at your club is madness.

Looking at it from another perspective - wouldn't us not cashing in on Kelly & Wilson see us passing up a similar amount of money to that which Bury have spent?

Is that "irresponsible" too?

Will it see us "doing a Stockport"?

I think it's different. Bury have signed LClarke and Pope on three year deals, plus PClarke on a two year deal. Add Mellis, Kirkland, Pugh, and that's touching a million quid in wages for the season (at a guess) for 6 players, all with various doubts regarding fitness/motivation etc, for a team who averaged 3700 fans last year. It's unsustainable, whereas we can sustain ourselves by keeping Wilson and Kelly, at least for now.

I'm not convinced by Flitcroft but they look every inch a top 10 team whereas we look every inch a bottom 10 team.

Will it go tits up? Who knows but they are probably going to have a good crack finding out in the next couple of years.

Considering both continue to be assets, no. We remain to run on a profit.

Loaning money at high rates and spending that on players that aren't saleable and likely to decline during their time at your club is madness.

Is the high rate of interest actually payable though or is it just smoke & mirrors between various companies their owner is involved with?

If they'd been repaying it at the levels it was originally reported surely they'd already have gone bust on those crowds?

I'm not convinced by Flitcroft but they look every inch a top 10 team whereas we look every inch a bottom 10 team.

If we still had Johnson, or another known quantity as manager, I'd say we should be looking at top 10+ (assuming we do ultimately sign a decent CB or two).

The squad is (or will be) as good as we've gone into a season with in a long time. We just don't know what we're going to get from the manager.

That said, we could get more from him than Johnson or A N Other.......

The new manager (if some are to be believed) might be even better. :grin:

Archived