A natural winger who cant cross.

Watching him on the wing at times last season I dint think he was a footballer.

Pace alone does not make you a winger

His crossing isn't too bad, it's his passing which is atrocious.

He doesn't try to cross often either because that's not the way he plays. He prefers to cut inside, but can you really say he's not a winger after how he ended the season? He can dribble with the ball very well, plenty of skill, pace, strength and tracking back.

Home to Sheffield United was perhaps the best performance I'd seen by any Oldham player all season.

Best winger we have had in recent years has got to be Rooney!!!

Just because tinker man played many of our forward minded players as wingers doesn't necessarily make them wingers, the topic raised is a good one as the new manager has gone on record as saying his preferred style of play is with width and even muted the idea of playing wingbacks, Croft for me is the only recognised winger on the books so I'm presume he will look at Mills and Croft to play the wide men if he does play a 3-5-2 formation, where Forte fits into the new formation is anyone's guess but I cant see him playing as a left wingback.

He doesn't try to cross often either because that's not the way he plays. He prefers to cut inside, but can you really say he's not a winger after how he ended the season? He can dribble with the ball very well, plenty of skill, pace, strength and tracking back.

Home to Sheffield United was perhaps the best performance I'd seen by any Oldham player all season.

A natural winger crosses when ever they can.He doesnt he holds on to the ball far to long.

He can play on the wing but its not natural. he can be stiker hence the goals at the back end of the season.

He has potential to be good but Im not sure he has a 'natural position'. Jack of 2 trades master of none!

Edited by palmer1

A natural winger who cant cross.

Watching him on the wing at times last season I dint think he was a footballer.

Pace alone does not make you a winger

You could actually be talking about Josh Low there.....at 6'3" he was one of the most uncomfortable footballers I've ever seen at BP. Edited by oafc1955

A natural winger crosses when ever they can.He doesnt he holds on to the ball far to long.

He can play on the wing but its not natural. he can be stiker hence the goals at the back end of the season.

He has potential to be good but Im not sure he has a 'natural position'. Jack of 2 trades master of none!

The game has changed.

Eyeres and Low

Goals and assists from both and they stuck glued to the wing!

Splitting hairs here but both played as wing backs as Dowie prefered a 3-5-2 at the time.

Personally while crossing may not be his strong point Poleon I do believe can play as winger as he can take players on, and he can score from that position like he showed towards the end of last season.

He doesn't necessarily need to be a great crosser of the ball to be a great winger if he can make up for it in other areas.

Hes the sort of player who falls apart when he stops and

has to think..just tell him to run with the ball fire in crosses or have a pot shot at goal.

Edited by BP1960

the discussion isnt can Poleon play on the wing because Yes he can

Is he natural winger - No he isnt.

he scored a few from the wing but didnt get many if any assists. A natural winger he should have more assists

he needs to work hard at his game to improve but the good news is he seems toi be doing.looks to have a decent attitude

Edited by palmer1

The game has changed.

So what!? A natural winger delivers crosses of all sorts as well as beating his man. He doesnt look the most comfortable with the ball at his feet like Holden and Adams and Eyeres who where natural wingers

today or 20 yrs ago Poleon is not natural on the wing

Poleon suffered from what many young lads do when they drop down a league of thinking that they are better than that league deserves and that it will be easy. Some of them manage to bag a couple early on which gives them a platform to build on and buys them some time to adapt. Poleon didn't do this, instead he became more and more desperate to score and ended up over-trying and over-doing it in the 10, 15 minutes he was given. He was taken out of the firing line for a bit and without an effective reserve setup he had nowhere to get some form back in semi-private and bag some easy goals.

When he was brought back in he was a different player, he had more game time and it resulted in the Sheff Utd performance and goals. Hopefully he can hit the ground running in August and as a team we can make use of his pace to cause trouble for teams.

Forte did his best work as a winger even if he isn't one. Croft was, for us, an excellent winger - shy of goal but so many assists. Poleon was not, might be one day, a 'natural' striker because his final shot/touch was not good enough. Poleon did however have some joy as a winger even if not 'natural' because of his pace and scored goals from that position. If none of the other midfield players are wingers then we have far too many in the squad.... Liam will start every game, as I agree will Croft, if fit so who else plays?

It does rather look like a 4 5 1 or a 4 1 4 1 or a 4 2 3 1...

Or even a 3 5 1 1

Edited by Hands on

Jones is definatley not a winger. He will play CM with Kelly if they stay. Croft and Forte, being wingers, will play on the wings. Poleon and Byrnes, being sub wingers, will be the sub wingers. Number 10's Winch, Green and DP can play as RM or LM respectively and will do so on occassion.

We will not be signing any more wingers.

FFS.

Edited by Monty Burns