Blackburn Rovers (friendly)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half was good, fast flowing two touch football with all the midfielders very busy and putting a shift in, need to get the ball into the box much more then they did and test the keeper - also desperately need forte to be full fitness otherwise we have no goals, maybe turner if he comes good.

Second half... less said about that the better, too many changes killed the game off and had players playing in positions they're not comfortable in - only good performance in the second half was probably truelove but that was nowt special

First half was ok - kept the ball well but every pass is extremely safe and players look to me like they don't want to be the one to give the ball away so I don't know if stats are being driven down their throats in terms of keeping your place in the team?

Brown and croft linked up very well I thought but it was evident all game that we are lacking some serious pace. For as good as croft is he isn't the quickest and this was demonstrated when he tried to carry the ball on a counter attack through the middle during the first half- however everyone else was just as slow too.

The one up top for me is isolating whoever is playing there be it Murphy or Turner- I presume Cassidy will employ this role.

Philliskirk played the whole game today and was very poor I thought. When he wasn't giving the

Ball away he was invisible and at one point I forgot he was playing.

Both trialists aren't good enough and need releasing now.

Thought Winchester was quiet again...

What was the formation in the 1st half and who played where?

4-2-3-1

Cornell

Brown, Gunning, Wilson, Mills

Kelly, Jones

Winchester, Philliskirk, Croft

Murphy

For me, that attacking 3 aren't prepared to support the attack enough. They're all players that drop deep to collect the ball. It left Murphy an isolated figure.

First time i have seen gunning and after reading opinions on here i feared he would be a big slow lump but i was actually surprised - not that slow (more greganish) very vocal and encouraging - deffo a leader - he would be the least of my worries. Im more concerned that we move the ball way too slowly and constantly stop forward movement to go back and square - i would want my strikers scoring a few to 'get their eye in'

I know its only preseason but i try to see at least one of these games to get a feel for the team set up and patterns of play - today was poor except for parts of the first half ...i hope this 0-2 scoreline isnt a taste of the season to come.

Positives: gunning (as above) croft (busy and involved) disappointed by green - maybe out of position but in a 'proper' game could be a liability. Turner looked lively and ploj tried to get in the game.

For me, that attacking 3 aren't prepared to support the attack enough. They're all players that drop deep to collect the ball. It left Murphy an isolated figure.

This is spot on. Murphy also likes to drop deep.

I would say formation first half was 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 hard to say at times. In reply to Gunnar Halle, I think Green should be more selfish at times run at defence's but been on the left wing will not get the best out of him he needs to be in the hole or even have a bit of a free role in the final third. A left footed player to me is better cutting from the right not the left.

Was quite worried after sitting behind the manager today at how bad a certain George Green is at listening to any instructions or even just sometimes being in the right position defensively...could be a long season with this lad

Obviously bags of ability as we've all heard, but he looked a destined red card a few times after losing it

4-2-3-1

Cornell

Brown, Gunning, Wilson, Mills

Kelly, Jones

Winchester, Philliskirk, Croft

Murphy

Take out Philli, put Forte/Poleon out left and move Winchester central with Croft right?

Take out Philli, put Forte/Poleon out left and move Winchester central with Croft right?

Stick Croft on right wing. Stick Forte on left wing. Play two strikers up front. Tell Croft and Forte to whip the ball in as soon as they get it and tell the strikers to just wait for the crosses.

Going to assume my UEFA badge is in the post...

i thought there was an element of safety first today

as much as I appreciate keeping posession you have to push sometimes and gamble a little

I liked brown and croft linking up but neither would take on their man and have a go

so that meant going square or backwards

that's what limited our chances

Stick Croft on right wing. Stick Forte on left wing. Play two strikers up front. Tell Croft and Forte to whip the ball in as soon as they get it and tell the strikers to just wait for the crosses.

Going to assume my UEFA badge is in the post...

I said it after Walsall away last season, if premier league footballers struggle with convoluted mathematical equations as formations, what chance our lot. Play 4-4-2, two wingers, two strikers (one big lad, one quick lad), two centre Mids (one that attacks, one that defends) and I would bet we'd win more than we'd lose.

I said it after Walsall away last season, if premier league footballers struggle with convoluted mathematical equations as formations, what chance our lot. Play 4-4-2, two wingers, two strikers (one big lad, one quick lad), two centre Mids (one that attacks, one that defends) and I would bet we'd win more than we'd lose.

I think I remember you mentioning it at the time...

Just reading Rick Holden's "14 Greatest Games", where he talks about how getting crosses into the box from out wide was so crucial to our success at the time. It's such a shame that the game has changed so much in the last 25 years...you know with crosses and simple, attacking but attractive football being outlawed...

Was quite worried after sitting behind the manager today at how bad a certain George Green is at listening to any instructions or even just sometimes being in the right position defensively...could be a long season with this lad

Obviously bags of ability as we've all heard, but he looked a destined red card a few times after losing it

It's going to a longer season for the lad if Kelly uses him the way he did today because in no way on this earth is he a winger. It's quite clear he's a player that needs to be played centrally.

I've not seen anything that alludes to attacking football at the two friendlies but I don't want to judge on them. There are players we have with the potential for goals and invention but we only have twi that are proven, and we tried to sell one this week.

Edited by NewBlue

Philliskirk played the whole game today and was very poor I thought. When he wasn't giving the

Ball away he was invisible and at one point I forgot he was playing.

Both trialists aren't good enough and need releasing now.

Thought Winchester was quiet again...

So Philly was crap and Winchester was quiet again? I would suggest that you watch a few more matches and it might be the same every game!

So who do we play with Jones & Kelly, the lad who gives the ball away or the non-entity?

I think I remember you mentioning it at the time...

Just reading Rick Holden's "14 Greatest Games", where he talks about how getting crosses into the box from out wide was so crucial to our success at the time. It's such a shame that the game has changed so much in the last 25 years...you know with crosses and simple, attacking but attractive football being outlawed...

You're being polite, I think rosa & leeslover were bearing the brunt of my perceived wisdom. Clearly you & I are unqualified, however I can't help but feel 3rd division footballers would benefit from a lack of complexity. I really hope DK (and SC's decision to appoint him) prove inspired.... But I can't help feeling more nervous than after Dickov & Johnson's appointments.

With arguably the exception of Shez, our most successful managers in my living memory have been articulate men (indicating to me inate intelligence / an ability to man manage), Kelly's interviews to date do not provide comfort. I'll back him of course - turn up and support when I can.... But if it starts badly, I wouldn't hang about. Please, let it start well. You going to Walsall?

Explain why Bristol City won the league by playing 3-5-2 last season then? you talk about it like it's the most difficult thing in the world to play anything other than 4-4-2. It won't be the formation that will keep us down it will because the players aren't good enough.

Edited by GlossopLatic

So Philly was crap and Winchester was quiet again? I would suggest that you watch a few more matches and it might be the same every game!

So who do we play with Jones & Kelly, the lad who gives the ball away or the non-entity?

So you think both played well then?

We looked poor in our first few games last season and Kelly and Jones were branded as :censored:e on here. It'll come.

Kelly was better when let off the leish once the real season started, he wont over commit in friendlies, I suppose the same could said of Gunning, although in his case he needs to impress to win a contract.

You're being polite, I think rosa & leeslover were bearing the brunt of my perceived wisdom. Clearly you & I are unqualified, however I can't help but feel 3rd division footballers would benefit from a lack of complexity. I really hope DK (and SC's decision to appoint him) prove inspired.... But I can't help feeling more nervous than after Dickov & Johnson's appointments.

With arguably the exception of Shez, our most successful managers in my living memory have been articulate men (indicating to me inate intelligence / an ability to man manage), Kelly's interviews to date do not provide comfort. I'll back him of course - turn up and support when I can.... But if it starts badly, I wouldn't hang about. Please, let it start well. You going to Walsall?

I won't be at Walsall - got a baby due in the next week or so.

Agree regarding Kelly. He's a peculiar appointment and he has to hit the ground running, in my opinion.

Gunning is here to prove his fitness, Kelly already knows he is a quality player.

I stopped going to friendlies a long time ago as they are solely geared to fitness and all of the squad being ready for the first game.

Results and performances are irrelevant at this stage and can have practically no bearing at all on our displays once the league gets underway.

All this over analysis of positioning and formations is doing my head in, as long as we are fit and ready to go on August 8th is all that really matters!

Gunning is here to prove his fitness, Kelly already knows he is a quality player.

I stopped going to friendlies a long time ago as they are solely geared to fitness and all of the squad being ready for the first game.

Results and performances are irrelevant at this stage and can have practically no bearing at all on our displays once the league gets underway.

All this over analysis of positioning and formations is doing my head in, as long as we are fit and ready to go on August 8th is all that really matters!

I'm with you 1955; often the formation in frendlies is just about trying to give the players a certain amount of game time to gain fitness. The formation at this stage is just about getting a particular 11 on the field at the same time. The real formation will be being worked on, on the training ground. As you say, let's judge after the first few games.

Explain why Bristol City won the league by playing 3-5-2 last season then? you talk about it like it's the most difficult thing in the world to play anything other than 4-4-2. It won't be the formation that will keep us down it will because the players aren't good enough.

Bristol City had an experienced manager and better players.

You've got to make the best with what you've got. If our approach to this season is playing pretty tippy-tap but ineffective football and hoping our lone striker carves out chances for himself, it's going to be a long old season.

Keep it simple - get the ball out wide and get balls into the box.