Blackburn Rovers (friendly)

I think I remember you mentioning it at the time...

Just reading Rick Holden's "14 Greatest Games", where he talks about how getting crosses into the box from out wide was so crucial to our success at the time. It's such a shame that the game has changed so much in the last 25 years...you know with crosses and simple, attacking but attractive football being outlawed...

I don't think that's fair really Joe. The game is not as free flowing or attacking as it once was but for the most part I don't think that's the direct intention. Players are far more fit, dans are better organised, games and tactics and the opposition are analysed over and over using modern technology that wasnt as readily available in the 80's. Rather than coaches abandoning simple attacking principles, tactics and defending have just left them behind. Edited by LeylandLatic

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that's fair really Joe. The game is not as free flowing or streaming as it once was but for the most part I don't think that's the direct intention. Players are far more fit, dans are better organised, games and tactics and the opposition are analysed over and over using modern technology that wasnt as readily available in the 80's. Rather than coaches abandoning simple attacking principles, tactics and defending have just left them behind.

In spite of the game moving on, I would still be intrigued to give our old approach a go. More balls into the box surely means more chances will be created, won't it?

Even though there's new, fancy formations - there's still no "right" way to play. If there is and we've been trying to do it "right" over the last ten years, I think it's definitely time to try something different!

I like attending friendlies purely to satisfy my addiction to football especially between seasons. However, I don't anticipate the game to be any indication to how we will play when the season commences August 8th. It's purely for fitness, testing out triallists and experimenting with players in different positions.

I'll be there at Walsall and then I'll start to judge.

My concern however is Forte clearly not 100%. With our budget we need every player fully committed and if his head is turned them I'd rather cash him in if there are any takers but does seem like he's pricing himself out of a move to Barnsley.

With Poleon being an exception and Cassidy unseen really, I have limited faith in the rest of the strikers. Therefore we need Forte fully focussed or another striker. There was talk of Watmore but is that now dead in the water??

Two weeks to go; Gunning likely to fill one CD berth but we need another still. Another midfielder/winger and a striker too.

Gee suggested we need to be in the Championship ASAP but can you honestly see it with our current squad? I think we'll be looking down most of the season rather than up unless we bring in a couple of more additions to strengthen the squad. We always manage to find the funds and I do think we have that capacity still but possibly wheeling and dealing behind the scenes in the next fortnight.

Explain why Bristol City won the league by playing 3-5-2 last season then? you talk about it like it's the most difficult thing in the world to play anything other than 4-4-2. It won't be the formation that will keep us down it will because the players aren't good enough.

....you've answered your own question....

In spite of the game moving on, I would still be intrigued to give our old approach a go. More balls into the box surely means more chances will be created, won't it?

Even though there's new, fancy formations - there's still no "right" way to play. If there is and we've been trying to do it "right" over the last ten years, I think it's definitely time to try something different!

Potentially, but it can also mean giving the ball away cheaply very quickly which means you'll spend a lot of time chasing the ball and burning energy. Personally I think our issue is too much percentage stuff and not enough attacking intent from the midfield. We should be playing into the strikers feet and working off them. Our problem for the last god knows how many years has generally been that our strikers are very isolated.

Perhaps I'm old school but would much sooner see the approach of we're gonna score one more than you rather than the high percentages with the ball but no end product.

Looking forward to seeing our master tactician put his great formations and what he classes as his starting 11 in place, then we will see if he does know what he's doing??

Unfortunately you just have to read threads like this or many others on this board over the last few weeks to see that the majority on here have already made their mind up about Kelly...

If we lose to Walsall and don't perform the knives will be out right away. Walsall are not a poor league 1 side but that won't be considered.

Then we have Boro which is likley to be a loss. If its heavy which it could be will the fact they were on the verge of the Premier league be taken into consideration? I very much doubt it.

So anything but a win against Fleetwood who are no mugs won't be good enough.

Darren Kelly doesn't stand a chance here unless we get behind him. But hey his interviews are no good and everyone has inside knowledge about players not knowing who he is which is the biggest pile of :censored: I've heard on here in many years.

Good luck Darren you are going to need it!

Bristol City had an experienced manager and better players.

You've got to make the best with what you've got. If our approach to this season is playing pretty tippy-tap but ineffective football and hoping our lone striker carves out chances for himself, it's going to be a long old season.

Keep it simple - get the ball out wide and get balls into the box.

Your right play to your strengths our best 3 players are Jones Winchester and Kelly playing a 4-4-2 means you either play 1 out of position or drop 1 why drop 1 of your best players get the formation to suit the team not the other way round. Plus we only have one striker who looks like he would best feed on crosses Cassidy. Against turner Poleon Forte Murphy league 1 centre halfs will head crosses clear all day long.

For me I would either go with 4-3-3 or a midfield diamond 4-1-2-1-2.

I don't think we can play 4-2-3-1 you need a monster upfront who will out fight the centre backs. Chelsea play 4-2-3-1 and have played it successfully for years but it works due to having a strong defence a goal threat from midfield and Drogba or Costa upfront.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Unfortunately you just have to read threads like this or many others on this board over the last few weeks to see that the majority on here have already made their mind up about Kelly...

If we lose to Walsall and don't perform the knives will be out right away. Walsall are not a poor league 1 side but that won't be considered.

Then we have Boro which is likley to be a loss. If its heavy which it could be will the fact they were on the verge of the Premier league be taken into consideration? I very much doubt it.

Darren Kelly doesn't stand a chance here unless we get behind him. But hey his interviews are no good and everyone has inside knowledge about players not knowing who he is which is the biggest pile of :censored: I've heard on here in many years.

Indeed

Gee suggested we need to be in the Championship ASAP but can you honestly see it with our current squad?

No, this is why he will be gone fairly soon. The club realised they have made a howling error and this goes to show it if he doesn't reaches the clubs 'goal' by christmas which he highly likely won't he will be gone.

Calm down dear. SC will give him all the time he needs and won't be bowed by the vocal few who may have made up their minds already. Some of us however wonder if his undeniable & impressive coaching qualifications are enough to make a successful manager. I hope they are.

Agree with you here.

There's going to be a venomous atmosphere around the club if he starts off badly, and I can't see him lasting long if we're dragged into a scrap around the bottom end of the league, when we should be nearer the top this year.

A lot of fans reckon we've gone one rookie too far. Kelly won't be judged on his own merit but as an extension of the last few years of drivel.

Shez and Dowie are still without a job and it won't take long for a few to be calling for them back.

....and I can't see him lasting long if we're dragged into a scrap around the bottom end of the league, when we should be nearer the top this year.

I'm not sure it fair to expect to be nearer the top this year more than any previously.... But we shouldn't be struggling in the bottom 4 either.

I'm not sure it fair to expect to be nearer the top this year more than any previously.... But we shouldn't be struggling in the bottom 4 either.

Last season it was a solid mid-table team, which has been kept together, a supposed more competitive budget this season and the chance to improve on the weaker parts of the team. In theory all the parts are there for it to be an improved season, except the manager...

Apart from Brown at right back and Cassidy up front - we don't know how he'll fare, assuming Gunning is a high quality player who needs fitness - the rest of the team is top half standard.

Edited by NewBlue

Darren Kelly doesn't stand a chance here unless we get behind him.

Really?

I'd like to think any new manager of a football club would be broad shouldered enough to take a bit of stick from fans if things didn't start well. If not, he shouldn't be doing the job,

If you're right we are truly :censored:ed and might as well get rid now.

No, this is why he will be gone fairly soon. The club realised they have made a howling error and this goes to show it if he doesn't reaches the clubs 'goal' by christmas which he highly likely won't he will be gone.

"' The club realised they have made a howling error "

Are you for real....where the hell have you got that from!!

Dickov had a very good playing career behind him.

Johnson was/is a cocky little :censored:.

Kelly hasn't got the first and doesn't appear to be the second.

People are still pissed at how last season ended.

I think his stay might well be short and not so sweet.

Dickov had a very good playing career behind him.

Johnson was/is a cocky little :censored:.

Kelly hasn't got the first and doesn't appear to be the second.

People are still pissed at how last season ended.

I think his stay might well be short and not so sweet.

Johnson is a talented manager, the first time we looked like going somewhere and it ended in smoke.

it will go one of two ways, gone by the end of October or we'll do the usual thing of being rubbish to begin with, have a decent run in oct, nov and dec which gives some hope of a play off push before we struggle to a lower mid table finish.

Personally I think it will be the first one

Haven't heard Corney speak for a while, when was the last time he was at the club?

He's normally around at this time of the season banging the drum, shouting about how we all need to get behind the new manager and team.

it will go one of two ways, gone by the end of October or we'll do the usual thing of being rubbish to begin with, have a decent run in oct, nov and dec which gives some hope of a play off push before we struggle to a lower mid table finish.

Personally I think it will be the first one

Me too.

Last season it was a solid mid-table team, which has been kept together, a supposed more competitive budget this season and the chance to improve on the weaker parts of the team. In theory all the parts are there for it to be an improved season, except the manager...

Apart from Brown at right back and Cassidy up front - we don't know how he'll fare, assuming Gunning is a high quality player who needs fitness - the rest of the team is top half standard.

Same here, the board has done well keeping hold of our key players, the budget was there to strengthen the squad but were still shy a solid centre half and thats counting Gavin Gunning as a signing if he fails to get fit were going to need two

Haven't heard Corney speak for a while, when was the last time he was at the club?

He's normally around at this time of the season banging the drum, shouting about how we all need to get behind the new manager and team.

Anthony gee is doing it for him isn't he?

He's around. He was in the same train as me to London on Friday so defo in the country!