Jim Harvey gone already

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Much of the disquiet, much of mine, on here is that despite keeping the players we all wanted to keep there has been, until today, difficulty finding a centre back who is or even might one day be fully match fit. The young lad we now have until 1 January is probably the result of contacts our manager has and is only a stop gap - if he succeeds he'll be off to somewhere else, if he is adequate he will probably be asked to stay longer. So the "scouting and recruitment consultant" has gone and given his job and performance who can be surprised at that.

Much of the disquiet, much of mine, on here is that despite keeping the players we all wanted to keep there has been, until today, difficulty finding a centre back who is or even might one day be fully match fit. The young lad we now have until 1 January is probably the result of contacts our manager has and is only a stop gap - if he succeeds he'll be off to somewhere else, if he is adequate he will probably be asked to stay longer. So the "scouting and recruitment consultant" has gone and given his job and performance who can be surprised at that.

I tend to assume that any manager will look to build their backroom team from people they know and trust. To be parting ways with one of them so soon is odd.

He wasn't a scout. Been on the sidelines in every game and involved in the training sessions.

He was, he might have been doing other stuff given his experience, but he was a scout. They can't get rid for the other stuff, and anyway it's still the managers call whether to accept the advice.

Maybe, his contacts simply proved fruitless. Worth recalling what was said when he was recruited. He was also manager at Froest green during their headier days and in theory we'd tap into the non league knowledge and pick up gems.

Not to be,

Here's what was said at his appointment.

"I've been in football for over 40 years and I have a lot of contacts and friends

Read more at http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/harvey-appointed-to-coaching-staff-2477741.aspx#Ghhkuw6VK7oulwqP.99

Edited by singe

He wasn't a scout. Been on the sidelines in every game and involved in the training sessions.

Yes he was.....full title was scouting and recruitment consultant.

I would expect most of the back room staff to be on the bench.

At my age I won't be scouting for the club on the payroll. I did say to DK though I would pass on any emerging talent I spot as I will still take in a few non league matches as well as regularly watching the Latics. BTW although not one of my recomendations Burn does fit into the same philosophy as the manager's, as hes quite similar to one on my list Cameron Burgess.

Edited by BP1960

I tend to assume that any manager will look to build their backroom team from people they know and trust. To be parting ways with one of them so soon is odd.

I don't think Lee Johnson knew Tommy Wright....

We always assume managers look first to bring in people they know but maybe it's not always the case.... (and nor should it be)

Yes he was.....full title was scouting and recruitment consultant.

I would expect most of the back room staff to be on the bench.

I don't care what title he had, he was taking training sessions. Wouldn't you expect a scout/ head of recruitment to be absolutely anywhere else on a match day than on his own teams bench? Say, watching other teams or players?

I don't care what title he had, he was taking training sessions. Wouldn't you expect a scout/ head of recruitment to be absolutely anywhere else on a match day than on his own teams bench? Say, watching other teams or players?

'Here, gaffer, I like the look of that Winchester.'