New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

Anyhow Stuart McCall would be a great choice - experienced manager and a name that is respected in football - his hard man attitude and philosophy would work well.

Of course our club would just be a stepping stone to something else but I can accept that, its a more open and honest position and honesty has been in short supply around Latics recently.

From Wiki

"City eventually missed out on promotion, but McCall decided to stay on as manager and took a voluntary pay cut in the process because of the club's budget being reduced.["

A manager after Simon Corney's heart :grin:

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic stuff if it's Steve Evans. That Rotherham side that came to BP is probably the team I most admire out of any I've seen in League 1

Would show real ambition by the club. Hope it happens.

One of those managers you hate until he manages you.

Edited by NewBlue

Back page of the Chron going with Steve Evans andMcCall in the frame

Out of the two I'd choose McCall. Debatable as to who has the better record but Evans would leave a bitter taste if he was in charge.

In Evans' defence his promotion with Rotherham from this league and survival in the Championship were excellent achievements. For the rest of his jobs he's either had a big budget and gained success or he hasn't and has been mediocre at best (see Boston, Leeds and the early years at Crawley before the cash). The nasty business at Boston will always be a stain on his record in my eyes.

McCall underachieved at Bradford overall but getting Motherwell into Europe for 3 consecutive seasons was a great achievement.

If the alternative was a first time manager with a questionable track record (I'm thinking of a Kelly type rather than a Bunn type) then I'd say that Evans is well worth the risk. McCall would edged him out though.

Out of the two I'd choose McCall. Debatable as to who has the better record but Evans would leave a bitter taste if he was in charge.

In Evans' defence his promotion with Rotherham from this league and survival in the Championship were excellent achievements. For the rest of his jobs he's either had a big budget and gained success or he hasn't and has been mediocre at best (see Boston, Leeds and the early years at Crawley before the cash). The nasty business at Boston will always be a stain on his record in my eyes.

McCall underachieved at Bradford overall but getting Motherwell into Europe for 3 consecutive seasons was a great achievement.

If the alternative was a first time manager with a questionable track record (I'm thinking of a Kelly type rather than a Bunn type) then I'd say that Evans is well worth the risk. McCall would edged him out though.

4 Promotions in Evans last 5 or 6 seasons. No brainer for me

Evans is comfortably the most successful manager to be linked with us.

My only reservations are that he's had substantial wedge at each of those clubs - Crawley & Rotherham in particular. Oh, and that he's a right prick.

However, he's what we need TBH, and it's gotten that :censored: as an Latics fan of late that I'm prepared to ignore the fact that he's a prick, in exchange for some attractive football.

Of course this is all irrelevant - there's no chance he's coming here.

Edited by sjk2008

Evans is solid, with a proven winning mentality at several clubs. McCall has never done it in England, as impressive as the Motherwell achievements were.

This paints a very different picture of Evans at Leeds (a job which is going to be near impossible with that nutter hanging above you): http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/leeds-united-mission-accomplished-for-departing-steve-evans-1-7940927

And, as I've already said, that Rotherham team he made for this division was superb. When we played them I said: 'They were everything we thought we could be at the beginning of the season. Inventive, high pressing, skilful, clinical. Fair :censored:s to that fat prickly Evans, he's made a fantastic outfit'.

An exciting team like they had would do me and so many others who have given up on the boring dross we so often see.