New Coach

DD says in the Chron:

In the short term, we need to get results and I am sure the fans will agree. Theres nothing wrong with winning 1-0.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/94076/instant-impact

With the current defenders, Latics will need to score more than one to win.

Correct, all fine until we go one down, what's plan B again, or is it options 2, 3 and 4 ?

We can only hope it all works out.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD says in the Chron:

In the short term, we need to get results and I am sure the fans will agree. Theres nothing wrong with winning 1-0.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/94076/instant-impact

With the current defenders, Latics will need to score more than one to win.

How many games since we scored more than one then?

I think the approach was being taken for example by Wenger with diet and flexibility and balance training. Cycling lends itself much more to science (for example the GB team deliberately sending an undercooked squad to the World Championships the year before the Olympics).

Strangely given the Stupid Footballers thing their brains have far far more input into success than cyclists. Chris Hoyle didn't need to know how his wheels were rounder to win.

1-0 to the Mick Jagger

Wenger now thinks under 21 academies have been a disaster in restricting the progress of young players. An example of a trendy idea going badly wrong.

He wants to go back to the time of open age reserve teams.

There's a few pros & ex-pros who agree with him, for me the reserve league was great because you could put your first team pros in there to sharpen up after injury and this would also give the young players the opportunity to play against and with players who are regular first teamers, we should bring the reserve league back but for it to work properly every club needs to do it and it needs to be competitive the FA need to dangle a money carrot as an incentive.

The idea that a professional footballers life should not be controlled by his club is ludicrous. Everything from diet to fitness and leisure activities should be controlled - no drinking, no drugs, no late nights, no hazardous pursuits and so on. It is possible to make small gains on many aspects. The footballer has sold his body and skills and must preserve and improve both.

The idea that a professional footballers life should not be controlled by his club is ludicrous. Everything from diet to fitness and leisure activities should be controlled - no drinking, no drugs, no late nights, no hazardous pursuits and so on. It is possible to make small gains on many aspects. The footballer has sold his body and skills and must preserve and improve both.

There is no reason why that should apply to a footballer more than any other profession.

I know the general trend on here is to take the piss out of badges/clipboards/tactics/marginal gains and to say that it's a simple game, just attack, score goals etc.

But is that not suggesting that the likes of Paisley/Ferguson/Shankly/Ramsey weren't using the most modern information and techniques available to them at the time?

I never watch sky analysis but caught a bit of Gary Neville talking about Chelsea on sky sports news the other day. He used the technology to show from quite a way back how the knock on effect of one player being out of position earlier in the move lead to Everton scoring eventually. I would have thought that modern methods of backing up instructions with visual aids would benefit a footballer at any level. No matter how "thick" fans think they might be.

I know the general trend on here is to take the piss out of badges/clipboards/tactics/marginal gains and to say that it's a simple game, just attack, score goals etc.

But is that not suggesting that the likes of Paisley/Ferguson/Shankly/Ramsey weren't using the most modern information and techniques available to them at the time?

I never watch sky analysis but caught a bit of Gary Neville talking about Chelsea on sky sports news the other day. He used the technology to show from quite a way back how the knock on effect of one player being out of position earlier in the move lead to Everton scoring eventually. I would have thought that modern methods of backing up instructions with visual aids would benefit a footballer at any level. No matter how "thick" fans think they might be.

Completely agree, the ones saying 'score goals' etc will be the ones crying out for a basic 4-4-2 at home. That sure worked at the weekend...

It's the fossils wanting their youth back.

I'm more than happy for us to use technology and new ideas aslong as it's communicated clearly to the players it can give us an advantage.

If you look at Alex Fergusons career no doubt he did things very differently when he started at St Mirren to how he did things at the end in 2013 with Man U.

Completely agree, the ones saying 'score goals' etc will be the ones crying out for a basic 4-4-2 at home. That sure worked at the weekend...

They'll just claim a conspiracy from Barry and SC as to why it didn't work. Always going to get overrun in midfield when the other team have an extra man

It wasn't the 4-4-2,like any other system you need the players and management to use it properly, last week we saw neither.

It wasn't the 4-4-2,like any other system you need the players and management to use it properly, last week we saw neither.

Our strikers are very very average at best, and our midfielders are the best players we own. Begs the question why a lot of fans wanted 4-4-2. My theory is they dont know their arse from their elbow

Seeing as you know your arse from your elbow, whats your view on using Dunn + Philliskirk as the two central midfielders in a 4-4-2, even those as not educated as your fine self could see that was never going to work, it takes fitness and discipline something Philliskirk and Dunn are both short on.

One thing worrying me at the moment is Dunn now feels he doesnt have to train while he has his managers hat on, is he really that good he can neglect that side of his game? He is blowing out of his arse 10 minutes into games as it is.

Edited by yarddog73

I'm more than happy for us to use technology and new ideas aslong as it's communicated clearly to the players it can give us an advantage.

If you look at Alex Fergusons career no doubt he did things very differently when he started at St Mirren to how he did things at the end in 2013 with Man U.

If it's all used alongside proper man management, tactical nouse & calculated risk taking then great but, with Kelly, and to a lesser extent Johnson, theory seemed to be all he had in his armoury (from what I saw & heard).

It was like he got himself highly qualified as a coach but forgot to learn to actually manage... As was apparent on matchdays.

I don't know how hard these courses are but, if they're difficult, there could be a lot of great managers who can't pass them being lost to the game.

And conversely, players who would never have made managers in the past are passing these courses with top marks and people like Corney have a fetish for it all and keep giving them jobs....?

Edited by HarryBosch

Technology isn't the issue. Clubs have been watching video replays for years in order to analyse why they got torn a new arse the previous week, and with the onset of 3D digital recordings, this analysis is going to get more and more detailed. Fair play, I hope it's gives the players more understanding of why they were crap.

The issue I have is with this class room based, sports science, jargonistic theory that seems to be the trend at the minute. Studying de-hydration levels, based on body mass index, dependent on the metres covered over a 30 second period, will make absolutely no difference in a game for all the effort it takes to work it all out!

Just my opinion like.