FA cup 1st round draw

I struggle with the notion that if they don't boycott the competition next season then they're hypocrites. They and their fans can object to the FA enforced rearrangement of fixtures and pricing whilst still wanting to see their team take part in the FA Cup.

I suspect it's not as simple as just electing not to take part, anyway. I'd be surprised if there are not wider implications.

But the strength of their opposition can be measured by a boycott ?

Are the rules a deal breaker or just something that they'd prefer to go away?

Either way the club has a need to further refine and define what their positioning in football will be.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know there were FC United fans, that weren't previously Man United fans...

So plaudits to Rummy for being able to sit in and around the stands of those United fans - they're all the same and they all go home after an FCUM game to watch Man United with a beer in their hand wanting Scum to win, so effectively they're all United fans.

In fact, they're all worse than United fans. Because they support two teams.

I hate folk that support two teams other than club and country.

Those type aren't one id like to share a drink with.

Lightweights -they should have refused to sell tickets to their own fans and made BT show an empty ground save for the away end. That would have made for some awkward coverage.

So that gate money is secured, one option is that all season ticket holders and members buy up the tickets and do exactly that. It's more difficult than it sounds, planning it is proving difficult.

I'm all for a bit of gratuitous dislike except in this case. I used to gratuitously dislike FCUM when it was just an anti-Glazer protest. It might have started that way but it's obviously grown out of that and into something I can properly get behind: fan ownership, football run for the benefit of the fans, community involvement etc. And you know from the Massive Cables that watching non-league football is :censored:ing brilliant. I'll probably never go to a game but I wish more clubs, big and small and medium, would stand up to the FA a bit and have a think about the game and its fans rather than taking them and so much modern football wisdom for granted.

Watching mini-United (or their effete racist cousins in London) is as much like non league as Kate Moss at Glastonbury is like a weekend in a leaking tent in Bala in February. Players earning a full time salary, purpose built modern stadium, national media interest, high win ratio all the time, thousands more fans than anyone else. Bet the don't even have a dog running beside the pitch.

Watching mini-United (or their effete racist cousins in London) is as much like non league as Kate Moss at Glastonbury is like a weekend in a leaking tent in Bala in February. Players earning a full time salary, purpose built modern stadium, national media interest, high win ratio all the time, thousands more fans than anyone else. Bet the don't even have a dog running beside the pitch.

Come on, I've probably been to the same NW non-league grounds that you have - from Cammels to Kendal to Alsager. it sure as hell felt like non-league football.

Full timers I've seen at this level and those I know of are are Fylde and Stockport - one because the money is sloshing around, the other because of their status and infrastructure. Ilkeston was last season and in the Northern Premier.

High win ratio? All time definitely, every season? No. But I suppose having Rory Patterson up front against Castleton Gabs does seem like an unfair advantage.

If it isn't purpose built, then it's not a football ground. There are quite a few clubs looking to or already have new facilities that will help them make some money. Curzon Ashton are one of the best run clubs at the level - in my opinion, great facilities, I have a lot of time for them, and I hope they do well - as I'm sure they will. Stamford have also made a great ground for themselves, and others to enjoy.

I just got to shrug my shoulders I suppose, and move on.

tumblr_nip42nkR0D1rqvbc3o1_500.jpg

The extent of my Cables following is somewhat overstated. Of course away games will still be at real clubs' grounds but it must be a bit different, "doing a Dale," and outnumbering than home fans a lot of the time. Shouldn't FCUM oppose other clubs playing home fixtures at bigger grounds to accommodate them? Solidarity with home fans being messed around for money and all that. Never mind the risk of them robbing the places of unique history like a set of horrible football hating scrotes.

I struggle with the notion that if they don't boycott the competition next season then they're hypocrites. They and their fans can object to the FA enforced rearrangement of fixtures and pricing whilst still wanting to see their team take part in the FA Cup.

I suspect it's not as simple as just electing not to take part, anyway. I'd be surprised if there are not wider implications.

You're are right Steve - and this is the problem. My opinion in all this, which isn't shared by all I have to say - is that the money should be taken to progress the final stages of the build, pay off the debts and keep prices low at the ground. so we go on TV as normal and pack the place out and put on united front and tell them exactly that. This is an opportunity for a voice to have a platform. At the moment, removal from the competition is a bold move, but it will never have momentum. On the face of it, it's a lost battle - however I think there are better things to come out of all this: lobby for lower ticket prices for everyone and scrap the minimum price. Lobby for more money from the TV companies for everyone, if TV want it - they'll have to pay for it - increased negotiation powers to clubs, and not sold to the highest bidder by the FA on the clubs behalf. In turn, that cash has to be put back into the facilities of the clubs, I don't know if it could be done, but it would be great if the cash was not permitted to be used on player wages or bonuses to shareholders - this helps clubs to run a budget on day-to-day income and not budgeting in the hope of a windfall. We all know what happens then. It's pie in the sky and probably got gaping holes in it, but it's something that can be brought out of this pickle (as I see it) - and if you've seen the things that I have, it's all getting a bit daft - but it's democracy and everyone gets a say in the matter, just sometimes it's not so good when it bites you on the ass.

Never mind the risk of them robbing the places of unique history like a set of horrible football hating scrotes.

On the flipside, the old argument was 'why don't you all go and support Trafford or Salford?' - their club their rules, can't really take over and campaign.

Can't back this twenty campaign PL clubs are promoting.

What happens when they put prices down and FL clubs have to maintain higher prices because they can't afford to drop them?

It will be a farcical situation where clubs like Latics are paying more to watch the third tier than City are to watch the world's best players.

If they want to properly coordinate the schemes then I'd love to be paying a tenner for home fixtures but til they consider the damage it will do to FL clubs they can keep paying £50+ for all I care.

To be fair I know a few lads who have played for them and they weren't on much more than petrol money and a curry on the way home.

On the flipside, the old argument was 'why don't you all go and support Trafford or Salford?' - their club their rules, can't really take over and campaign.

Misunderstanding - I meant when Mini-United fans tried to rob stuff from the Football League grounds they played at. Didn't they have away with some Stanley Matthews items from Bloomfield? Class, that.

You are right that several thousand Man United fans all turning up at one non league ground would ruin it, as it would any decent social occasion. If they all went to their nearest though I don't think Trafford or Salford would have been overwhelmed

I meant when Mini-United fans tried to rob stuff from the Football League grounds they played at. Didn't they have away with some Stanley Matthews items from Bloomfield? Class, that.

You are right that several thousand Man United fans all turning up at one non league ground would ruin it, as it would any decent social occasion. If they all went to their nearest though I don't think Trafford or Salford would have been overwhelmed

Wasn't they stopped by the more mature fans on the day? I didn't think they took anything, and all I know about it was hearsay anyway. Was you there?

I think you've managed to steer this where you want as you always do, so I'll stop posting or answering questions on this subject - many are getting fed up with it.

Thanks everyone for the debate.

Sorry, sorry, sorry - I couldn't help myself, I know it's getting boring now.

Barnsley have refused to move their game to the Sunday.

It transpires that the FA pulled Barnsley out of the Sunday fixture after protest, due to them having a game on Tuesday. As you probably know - Alty complained, they were told to shove it. Alty has lost out on £12500 in this instance.

Please can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the FA imposed minimum of£10 per game.

Seems utterly pointless.

Initially FC United was going to offer £1 back to the fans at the clubs' expense to keep the adult admission price at £9 - a price which was set by the membership for all matches this season. Yesterday, after negotiations between the two clubs and the FA, the FA have removed the minimum price for this match, and tickets will be sold for £9.

The FA were well and truly told eh :lol:

They won't try that again. Not until the next round at least....

The rules were challenged, and changes were made. Hopefully everybody else can as well.

Thanks again everyone.