Has Simon Corney given up on us?

I'd love to hear Simons thoughts on a number of things at the moment, not least because its unlikely I'm going to renew for next season but what I'd love to know is does he have any intention of trying to protect our League 1 status or has he given up on us. I'm not particularly bothered about the ins and outs of the clubs finances and many of the disappointments of the past 12 months my only worry is we have a manager slowly drowning and a team without a win at home in over 4 months, it seems as if he has given up and theres little if any vision going forward which worries me more than anything, personally I think its time he addressed the fans and put his cards on the table and let us know what the future holds for OAFC.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO He gave up on us after Chedgate...its clear to see. He quit from the football side of things and quickly appointed various 'directors' to take his place, this may be why mistakes have been made left right and centre since this date. The only thing it appears that Corney hasn't given up on and why he is still here is trying to recover what value there is left in the land/business side of the club trying to make it a saleable asset.

The silence from the board members despite the terrible recent management debacles, this terrible run of form and delays to the stand etc are deafening...

The lack of communication from the club is very concerning. Simon could always be relied upon to have his say on most things that happen. This has not always made him popular with some fans but aty least it showed that he has passion and was doing what he believed to be the right thing for the club. In recent months however, this has completely dried up.

Fans are understandably concerned about what we are seeing. The club appears to be in turmoil. When we don't hear anything putting forward a counter-argument to this, it isn't surprising that these fears grow.

I want to hear what the plan is for the club. I want to know when the new stand will be finished and delivering funds that can be used to improve the squad. I want to know when I will be able to go for a pint in the supporters' bar before the game. I want to know why we have brought in so many loanees this season only to see them disgarded after a game or two. I want to know why we made a ridiculous managerial appointment in the summer and what happened to make the board reassess that decision so quickly. I'd like to know what the board saw during David Dunn's interim managerial period that convinced them that he should be given the job full time. It would be nice to know what the thoughts of the owener and the board are on how we build a squad over the next month which is capable of keeping us in this God-forsaken division. I'd even like to know what plans are in place for putting together a promotion push next season if we don't get out of this hole we are in.

For what it's worth, I don't expect to find out any of this because, yes, I do think that Simon Corney has given up on Oldham Athletic.

I agree with a fellow poster that Corney gave up after the Ched Evans debacle. He was regularly vocal in the site before then but since he is rarely at the club let alone on the official site.

Even the remaining board are silent despite us suffering the worst period in history...following that summer in the early 00s when we were hours from club going out of business the team still played for us on the pitch - a team made of youth players etc - still achieved a win or two.

We're rudderless and fast floating towards the waterfall into League 2. Corney and the board are back onshore tinkering with the marina

Obviously not, but I'll bite, If Matt Chambers comes out with it then it's gonna happen one way or another.

Has he said it?

Just because someone is in for a player doesn't mean he's sold. You can't criticise the owner because teams want to sign our players.

FWIW, I think he will sell. But fair's fair you can't beat him with that particular stick just yet.

Obviously not, but I'll bite, If Matt Chambers comes out with it then it's gonna happen one way or another.

He said Wigan are interested, they would be stupid not to. Matt Chambers has obviously been told about the offer. That doesn't mean its going to happen though. He is still contracted until 2017

However I've said elsewhere we are a selling club & if his sale helps 're-shape' the squad so be it...

How many times does a thread like this appear every January? We always move on.

Has he said it?

Just because someone is in for a player doesn't mean he's sold. You can't criticise the owner because teams want to sign our players.

FWIW, I think he will sell. But fair's fair you can't beat him with that particular stick just yet.

Indeed, some are forgetting we do have form for keeping our better players in a transfer window. The last two have been generally perceived (at the time) as good. Most were these very players we were relieved to have held onto.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30801798

January 2015:
"I've had enough, it's no secret," Corney told the Oldham Chronicle. "I've been here for 12 years and I just don't have the same interest any more."

Jog on 12 months and look what state we're in. If you're working for a company and the big boss man doesn't care, what amount of effort are you going to put in?

He wants out, he probably see's relegation as a good excuse to walk away (He was quoted on that statement a couple of years ago). The players don't care what happens to Oldham Athletic, it's us the fan's who pump a :censored: load of money into it that suffers. The majority of us would love to walk away but we're like a tramps dog, loyal to a losing case.

I and I'm sure a lot of us wish for change in 2016 but in reality can you see anything changing?

IMO He gave up on us after Chedgate...its clear to see. He quit from the football side of things and quickly appointed various 'directors' to take his place, this may be why mistakes have been made left right and centre since this date. The only thing it appears that Corney hasn't given up on and why he is still here is trying to recover what value there is left in the land/business side of the club trying to make it a saleable asset.

The silence from the board members despite the terrible recent management debacles, this terrible run of form and delays to the stand etc are deafening...

He made a fair few before that mate.

In May this year Corney joined the board of an oil fracking company (feel free to make your own jokes) as a non executive Director operating in the States. I think this is occupying his thoughts, not Latics!

From Oil Voice July 2015:

"Simon Corney was previously a partner at Altima Partners, a significant shareholder in TomCo, from 2004 to 2011. Before then he worked at Deutsche Bank within the investment banking division and at Shell, including on oil and gas acquisitions. Since leaving Altima Partners he has been working as a consultant, including for Altima Partners and Dominic Redfern."

I'm guessing it's a different Simon Corney?