crowdfunding survey

Where asked if I would part-take I made sure they knew my feelings on it:

I have no confidence that any such funds would be used directly to benefit the football club - Fans have previously been duped by schemes such as "The Scoreboard Fund" - Unless the club was 100% transparent about the monies raised, where it would be used, a future business plan for the club (ie. Fans Charter) then there will be ZERO trust in such a scheme being run under the current untrustworthy Board members.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping I'd be able to view it coming out of the ground, and that it wouldn't be covered in what I can only describe as 'bird sh*t'....

Is that too much to ask?!

I won't be putting a complaint in even though I do have the 'concrete' evidence.

As for previous bricks, well, the best (or worst) one I think I've ever had was the morning after a five course meal deal at the Millon, washed down with several pints of Lees Lager. I wouldn't advocate using it to hold up a stand though.

The whole thing stinks...

Edited by chickenbaltipie

I won't be donating but I think it's a good idea. While some might not want to stump up the admission price for what is at the moment poor football they might want to give to the community trust to help out in schools or give £50 a year say to help Tony Philiskirk to develop young players.

It gives people flexibility in how they support the club. Perhaps we could get some local companies involved in this.

Edited by GlossopLatic

It would've been great if Matt Smith was Playershare. Somebody who has now made a career for himself, after we picked him from nowhere.

Also, a lad who has been part-time will appreciate the opportunity Playershare has granted him, over a Fuller type. You could genuinely see when Matt Smith left just how thankful he was of the club for providing him that chance.

This 100%. I don't think Playershare has been a massive success personally. If it has, whenever have they shouted about it? Playershare should be used to fund a 'project', and also an amount is put back into the pot off any profit the player makes when moving. It's mainly the reason why I won't contribute to the scheme. I simply don't trust the management or the club to use the money wisely enough.

This 100%. I don't think Playershare has been a massive success personally. If it has, whenever have they shouted about it? Playershare should be used to fund a 'project', and also an amount is put back into the pot off any profit the player makes when moving. It's mainly the reason why I won't contribute to the scheme. I simply don't trust the management or the club to use the money wisely enough.

This.

I have never really grumbled about Playershare, primarily as I don't contribute more than the very odd bit here and there. But it's not an incentive when the last lump sum went on paying a signing on fee to Ricardo Fuller (edit: I've just searched this and can't see a reference to it anymore, I'm sure I read it at the time but will stand corrected and remove if it was not the case).

Edited by jsslatic

Where asked if I would part-take I made sure they knew my feelings on it:

I have no confidence that any such funds would be used directly to benefit the football club - Fans have previously been duped by schemes such as "The Scoreboard Fund" - Unless the club was 100% transparent about the monies raised, where it would be used, a future business plan for the club (ie. Fans Charter) then there will be ZERO trust in such a scheme being run under the current untrustworthy Board members.

Yet you was saying how important it was to give them £20 every two weeks ?

Consistency or joined up thinking lacking here ^^^^

Edited by oafc0000

Crowd funding in the business world is typically used to raise capital for a variety of uses (working capital, investment in machinery, investment in staff, IT improvements etc.). It is usually a loan to the business concerned in return for interest and with the eventual return of capital to the investor. I am assuming funds loaned to Latics in this manner will therefore be returned at some stage and in the meantime we may be given the option to receive either interest or discounted tickets or VIP tickets per the survey.

Try googling 'Funding Circle' for an example of this type of proposition. In summary I would assume that Latics are asking us to 'invest' funds here and not just to give funds. I stand to be corrected though as it's not clear from the information seen to date.

Edited by Stainrod

Crowd funding in the business world is typically used to raise capital for a variety of uses (working capital, investment in machinery, investment in staff, IT improvements etc.). It is usually a loan to the business concerned in return for interest and with the eventual return of capital to the investor. I am assuming funds loaned to Latics in this manner will therefore be returned at some stage and in the meantime we may be given the option to receive either interest or discounted tickets or VIP tickets per the survey.

Take googling 'Funding Circle' for an example of this type of proposition. In summary I would assume that Latics are asking us to 'invest' funds here and not just to give funds. I stand to be corrected though as it's not clear from the information seen to date.

I suspect they're using it in the sense of direct contributions for specific rewards, rather than loans.

Edited by Crusoe

I've filled it in but I really didn't like the options for where the money could be spent. Disabled facilities!?!?! WTF? This is something that a responsible club should be providing anyway, not holding a begging bowl out to do so.

Not just should. Has to - it's a legal obligation.

I'm trying to get my head round the objectives.

Is it a "throw your money in the bucket" thing where very small amounts add up to allow something modest to be installed, like a scoreboard.

Or is it like the Lancashire County Cricket club bond where they basically said give us £2k or more now, we will build a hotel and give you your money back in 5 years with 7%pa interest?

I'm trying to get my head round the objectives.

Is it a "throw your money in the bucket" thing where very small amounts add up to allow something modest to be installed, like a scoreboard.

Or is it like the Lancashire County Cricket club bond where they basically said give us £2k or more now, we will build a hotel and give you your money back in 5 years with 7%pa interest?

It's the 1st option. Basically a chance to contribute to a specific 'project'. With crowdfunding all money raised will go to the project and has to. (Other than the percentage the host company take for the online running of it)

In my experience of using (the one called 'Kickstarter' )you have to set targets. So for example...a new scoreboard may cost £25k (made up number) and the crowdfunding target is that figure. Dates are set in which you have to get people to help fund such a project. If you don't hit the target in the time frame the money isn't released and goes back to the people that have pledged. Money is only released when the target is met.

A lot of bands etc use this way to find new music, albums videos etc. It's a way of using fans to invest into you more and feel ownership over something specific.

You can also get rewards for giving. For example if you donate £10-£50 a free match day ticket. £50-£150 a VIP match day ticket £150-£250 a VIP ticket, mention in programme and player meet. You can offer incentives for whatever you want. You could do say £2500 upwards train wIth players for a session and get an official squad number for the season. Think you get the drift.

The way to look at Playershare is that it is a contribution to the wage bill as a whole rather than an individual.

Definitely not the way to look at it if you want subscribers...

Glad Frankly latched onto that point anyway. To me it's there for a gamble as much as anything else. Somebody we genuinely might not have tried to invest in had we not had the money. The idea of a percentage of profit returning to Playershare sounds brilliant too. Don't know how that works though with third parties and that.

There's always a bit of romance and a story about a non-league player, which you can get fans to invest in...

Edited by NewBlue

Definitely not the way to look at it if you want subscribers...

Glad Frankly latched onto that point anyway. To me it's there for a gamble as much as anything else. Somebody we genuinely might not have tried to invest in had we not had the money. The idea of a percentage of profit returning to Playershare sounds brilliant too. Don't know how that works though with third parties and that.

There's always a bit of romance and a story about a non-league player, which you can get fans to invest in...

It doesn't - it's illegal unfortunately.

I stipulated stadium and supporter facilities improvements only, I would hope everyone would do the same.

Yes, for sure.

What are the regs for 3G/4G pitches these days? Have they been permitted for use in the league yet?

Obviously start up cost would be high but something that could be used 7 days a week.

Yes, for sure.

What are the regs for 3G/4G pitches these days? Have they been permitted for use in the league yet?

Obviously start up cost would be high but something that could be used 7 days a week.

I seem to remember it was put to a vote at a league meeting and it was rejected at our level. Maybe wrong though!

One of the questions did ask what would you like in return for your contribution although i think the interest payment would be considered a last resort by the club on this sort of thing

What kind of rewards do you think would be most interesting in return for a contribution? *

- Discounts for tickets, memberships, season tickets

- Merchandise signed by current or ex-players

- Exclusive access to training, a VIP match day, or to meet players

- An interest payment on your contribution

First crowdfunding initiative I'd promote would be a large banner for the new stand, between the windows and the corporate seats.

The club could ask for suggestions for a line, be it 'We Are Latics' or whatever else, and then could make a vote open to supporters. Somewhere to start...

id only be interested in crowdfunding for processes/initiatives/equipment that generate extra revenue that go towards improving the product on the pitch. But we already have Playershare for that.

Potentially asking for more from the fans is quite hard to stomach, how it can be justified at such a time of disconnect I don't know. They need to work on repairing the relationship and trust first.

They need to show that they give a damn more first IMO before it involves asking for more contributions...

Edited by Blue_Guru