Boycott

Theres talk on social media of fans boycotting our third party owned North Stand from Saturday because of concerns over revenue streams and the confusion over its benefits to the football team which is for many of us the priority.

I did put a question to the trust on here about a week ago that Underdog kindly replied, as of yet no answer has been forthcoming so with a boycott in the offing can I ask again for the Trust to clarify these issues.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's always talk on social media.

Is there ever any conviction? Course not.

Next...

I'm reading posts off fans I'd never of thought would talk of not renewing or questioning their commitment to the club, I'd have fans who go now through thick and thin as pretty much the hardcore, if theres disenchantment amongst some of them then the club is well and truely :censored:ed.

Is this part of the greater boycott which has seen crowds drop by over 10,000 per game in protest over we no longer play top flight football

or is this a new and totally independent cool as :censored: boycott with 20 to 50 people refusing to spend money in certain parts of the ground because the owners made a bad (with hindsight) deal made during a severe financial plight in which their workers were not getting paid?

I'm reading posts off fans I'd never of thought would talk of not renewing or questioning their commitment to the club, I'd have fans who go now through thick and thin as pretty much the hardcore, if theres disenchantment amongst some of them then the club is well and truely :censored:ed.

It's unlikely most will be boycotting as such - lost all hope and enthusiasm to continue giving up their weekend for, probably.

That's been the case for 5+ years now.

Is this part of the greater boycott which has seen crowds drop by over 10,000 per game in protest over we no longer play top flight football

or is this a new and totally independent cool as :censored: boycott with 20 to 50 people refusing to spend money in certain parts of the ground because the owners made a bad (with hindsight) deal made during a severe financial plight in which their workers were not getting paid?

Severe financial plight?

Yeah, it's hard to predict that you might need money to build a stand, really hard.

And who is gaining revenue and profit from the stand? Latics might get gate, beer & food sales but they got that anyway. They might get rent off OEC but is it enough to recover the costs? And does Latics own the stand?

Remember that these are the same people who didn't bother telling people that parking money wasn't going to the club.

Theres talk on social media of fans boycotting our third party owned North Stand from Saturday because of concerns over revenue streams and the confusion over its benefits to the football team which is for many of us the priority.

I did put a question to the trust on here about a week ago that Underdog kindly replied, as of yet no answer has been forthcoming so with a boycott in the offing can I ask again for the Trust to clarify these issues.

I'm going to assume you are either part of or the coordinator of the boycott - I'm fully behind supporter action and protest, however there needs to be coordination and an understanding of what the outcome should be. I think a boycott of your own facility is too radical for most at the moment, so I'd abandon that idea.

Firstly enter into a dialogue with the club - I'd email all directors and chair separately (not cc'd) asking for clarification on the situation. If they communicate between themselves you should either get one definitive answer or several similar ones.

Depending on how the dialogue is going dictates your next steps. If you think you're still being asset stripped and taken for mugs, start a independant supporters association that will represent and campaign on behalf of the fans. This isn't a trust or a fan ownership group which are totally different entities. Get a room for a meeting and decide on a good, mature leader who some of the fans know, someone with online/PR experience, arrange a written constitution for the group and a bank account in the assocs name. You can have a look at this http://www.imusa.org/constitution.php from IMUSA for some ideas.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/want-to-set-up-a-supporters-group-heres-how

Get yourself organised first, then start your activism.

I'm going to assume you are either part of or the coordinator of the boycott - I'm fully behind supporter action and protest, however there needs to be coordination and an understanding of what the outcome should be. I think a boycott of your own facility is too radical for most at the moment, so I'd abandon that idea.

Firstly enter into a dialogue with the club - I'd email all directors and chair separately (not cc'd) asking for clarification on the situation. If they communicate between themselves you should either get one definitive answer or several similar ones.

Depending on how the dialogue is going dictates your next steps. If you think you're still being asset stripped and taken for mugs, start a independant supporters association that will represent and campaign on behalf of the fans. This isn't a trust or a fan ownership group which are totally different entities. Get a room for a meeting and decide on a good, mature leader who some of the fans know, someone with online/PR experience, arrange a written constitution for the group and a bank account in the assocs name. You can have a look at this http://www.imusa.org/constitution.php from IMUSA for some ideas.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/want-to-set-up-a-supporters-group-heres-how

Get yourself organised first, then start your activism.

Some people will have seen on Facebook and mentions on twitter about a protest group which was planned.

The day we played Swindon, one of the fans behind it and 3 other Oldham fans where invited to a meeting with Simon Brooke and Another trust representative to express there concerns.

Another planned meeting has not happened which had been mentioned before the Tarky Sell on clause.

These fans made the effort to reason hear what the club had to say. If a protest does happen or boycott the club have got themselves to blame.

Edited by Forte_Baby

I am pretty sure that those who have season tickets in the North Stand would be allowed into other sections of the ground if they request it.

I am not joining a boycott on Saturday-I have boycotted the North Stand to date and will continue to do so. I have always said that it would cost us dearly.

For those who do continue to go in the North Stand it might be a good opportunity to seek out Directors and try to get some answers-good luck with that!

If anyone talks to Neil Joy could they ask my question about borrowing from the scousers at Necarcu Ltd and report back his non answer!

The game on Saturday is a 6 pointer so wherever we go lets just make some noise and get behind the players

Edited by ChaddySmoker