Peterborough vs Oldham

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kelly appointment was not bad luck.

The Dunn appointment immediately after wasn't a good decision either.

SC, May 2015: Baz, have you found anyone yet? I've been in New York and you told me everything was kushty. Deano was the next dogs bollocks and you'd search heaven and earth for the new Fergie.

Barry: After an exhaustive search, covering nearly 200 applicants, i've got someone. He's a gem. From overseas. Brilliant cv. Look, it's really professional and everything. Trust me. Judgement was central to my entire career.

Three weeks later

Barry: err, Simon, think we have a problem...don't worry...leave it with me...no need to come back....i have a cunning plan....

Four months later

Barry: told you not to worry. Plan B is in place. My judgement managed to get many a wrong 'un banged up. I'm an ex copper. This new bloke is an ex England international. I've eased him in. Clever. He's going to be brilliant. he had fantastic tekkers....

Three months later:

SC: you :censored:ing dick. I'm coming back. Let's see. Whos is cheap, a bit desperate to come home and has actually got something on his cv? Not rocket science, or luck. Just common sense..ah, John...fancy a coffee.

There was no serious rationale for appointing Kelly from 'the best set of candidates' Corney had ever had to choose from. Dunn was similarly unqualified, but had played at a decent level. Both were dim.

Corney thought he could get away with the cheapest option available to him. That's not bad luck; it's gambling with big odds.

Only when we looked doomed did he give the job to someone who has a CV that justifies appointing him.

Corney has followed his instincts a few times in recent years...with mixed success. Sheridan is the first proper manager in a while. I hope he get's a decent run.

Surely it most be common ground that what matters most is a manager who cares and knows what he is doing. SC got us into this mess but after reality struck he has also made the change which should get us out of it. The great North Stand white elephant no doubt distracted him and changed priorities.

Yes, can't see anything wrong in giving credit to someone who put mistakes right. Recognise those mistakes but also the fact that he's got Sheridan in to universal approval.

The Kelly appointment was not bad luck.

The Dunn appointment immediately after wasn't a good decision either.

Kelly was a really poor decision by Corney. Expecting him to communicate with League 1 players considering his background and experience was close to foolhardy.

Dunn was a reasonable punt but even with his experience turned out clueless.

Why, we may ask do most chairmen keep making the same mistake. Maybe it's because it's impossible to spot a future successful manager. Young, old, international history, previous success, disciplinarian, ex-player, ex-coach. they come and quickly go at a prodigious rate at all levels.

NO ONE can see a successful manager for THEIR club coming - in any League and on any wage structure.

I now have to ask the question. What did 'bad luck' have to do with my post?

There was no serious rationale for appointing Kelly from 'the best set of candidates' Corney had ever had to choose from. Dunn was similarly unqualified, but had played at a decent level. Both were dim.

Corney thought he could get away with the cheapest option available to him. That's not bad luck; it's gambling with big odds.

Only when we looked doomed did he give the job to someone who has a CV that justifies appointing him.

I agree with your first paragraph and I have never said otherwise.

I agree with your second paragraph and have never said otherwise. Corney's mistake was: he had got away with it with Johnson, hiring an unknown with qualifications and presentation.

Sheridan was sacked when promotion was slipping away, the probable cause of this decline well documented. I don't think there was any doubt Corney would go for experience this time. The mood of the fans on this was palpable. Sheridan has always been loved here and his reappearance roundly welcomed. But hand on heart who could have guessed how dramatic his first 6 games would be. Danny Wilson's had been healthy bandied about on here before Xmas. I would have been happy with his appointment. He's not ripping up trees at Chesterfield is he?

Getting the right guy in for your club is a lottery and we all know what you need to win that.

Coleman, bar the goal had a much better game tonight. And the way Maddison was playing during that period it was coming because the outfield players were doing nothing to stop him. Winchester doesn't close that ball down and now defenders rush back to help clear when it drops. And then look at the way their keeper performs for the pen, how Gills keeper got lobbed on Saturday and you'll see all keepers at this level make regular mistakes. I Wish we didn't have this negativity to one of our home grown players, it's embarrassing. Should be willing these kids on.

And we have come away from a game no one really expected us to win with 3 points and there is negativity at players? Surely a wind up post this?!

1 to 11 were excellent tonight, could even have been more comfortable had the header not hit the post. Great performance and a great result

That's a little unfair! My post clearly says what a fantastic performance it was and I was proud to be a Latics fan last night.

I do think though that there is an issue with our keepers at the moment and I am not sure it can easily be fixed. You're right that errors will happen but the regular mistakes we are seeing are beyond that.

For clarity, I always try to avoid getting on our players backs at games but this is a forum for sharing views so fair to discuss players and issues on here I think

That's a little unfair! My post clearly says what a fantastic performance it was and I was proud to be a Latics fan last night.

I do think though that there is an issue with our keepers at the moment and I am not sure it can easily be fixed. You're right that errors will happen but the regular mistakes we are seeing are beyond that.

For clarity, I always try to avoid getting on our players backs at games but this is a forum for sharing views so fair to discuss players and issues on here I think

This. Sheridan has publicly stated his support for Coleman but he does need to cut out the clangers fast...

Also, I'm all for healthy debate on here but I despair when the arguments amount to "he's :censored:e, get rid"...

Thought that loanees don't care about the club and should be avoided at all costs...

Not if you pick the right one's....I think Johnson called it due diligence but I think that's bollocks.

Shez knows the lower divisions and he knew the type of players we needed......I don't think many on here were too happy when Palmer, Holloway and Main came in but just look how they've turned out.

It's early days yet but along with Gerrard this quartet could prove to be amongst the most effective loan signings this club has ever made!!

I just wonder who Dunn was planning to bring in, it would be very interesting to know.

That article jumped dramatically from being an interesting insight in to footballing politics and employment to the misogynistic ramblings of some middle aged men who should know better.

Weird.

That quote from Holloway is well rapey.

And I never knew Souness did such a great impression of Swiss Toni.

Coleman, bar the goal had a much better game tonight. And the way Maddison was playing during that period it was coming because the outfield players were doing nothing to stop him. Winchester doesn't close that ball down and now defenders rush back to help clear when it drops. And then look at the way their keeper performs for the pen, how Gills keeper got lobbed on Saturday and you'll see all keepers at this level make regular mistakes. I Wish we didn't have this negativity to one of our home grown players, it's embarrassing. Should be willing these kids on.

And we have come away from a game no one really expected us to win with 3 points and there is negativity at players? Surely a wind up post this?!

1 to 11 were excellent tonight, could even have been more comfortable had the header not hit the post. Great performance and a great result

The general trend for getting on players backs isnt just limited th home grown players! look at Cornell and the abuse he has taken and will the minute he features for Oldham again, never forgive thats the Latics fans motto.

Coleman should be backed but so should everybody who wears the blue shirt, youth, loan or permanent.

The fact that some are saying Coleman should be backed as he is one of our own is part of the problem, Cornell is ours (all be it not youth) but wasnt afforded the same luxury after his first mistake. Coleman should rightly be pulled on mistakes becasue not all league 1 keepers make errors every single game like he is at the moment. 2 mistakes in 2 games have led to goals (including the whole passage of play leading to the Gillingham strike.) plus countless others thathe has got away with.

If he makes another error on Saturday does he deserve to stay in the side?

Everyone is quick to slag Dunn and his management skills but nobody seems to point out that Cornell was a victim of this & it affected him hugely as did our fans getting at him before mistake had even been repeated.

2 young keepers deserve backing but its a pro game and if mistakes keep happening they both need replaceing

Edited by palmer1

You can't defend the indefensible. Cornell is just that. (That doesn't justify abuse, either).

It's also wrong to characterise it as either pro-Coleman or pro-Cornell. Most accept neither are up to scratch at the current moment to be an adequate League 1 keeper.

Moaning about moaning then repeating the prevailing mood as though it's uncommon...