Latics 1-0 Spireites

After a decent start to his Latics career Main is beginning to demonstrate why he was out of favour at Doncaster. Apart from his shot that Lee did well to save in the first half he did absolutely nothing.

Forte was terrible and just didn't look to be interested....mix his skill with Main's work rate and you'd have a very good player. I wouldn't give either of them a contract for next season.

Dieng, B Wilson, Palmer and Gerrard did well, Coleman was much better and Holloway put himself about a fair bit but he needs a partner feeding off his headers and flick ons.

Not pretty today and a nervous last 10 minutes but it's all about the points at this stage.

Another £50 off the season ticket so a win against Swindon would be the icing on the cake.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think poleon upfront with Holloway would be a good partnership. Thought Holmes-Dennis was poor today didn't want to get stuck into any tackles. Apart from the set up for mains shot he provided very little. Thought the same in the first half at burton constantly giving the ball away

The good part of this is of course Chesterfield are now well and truly dragged in.... and take a look at Shrewsbury's fixtures, they will be lucky to get another point. So they arent out of it either.

Edited by kowenicki

After a decent start to his Latics career Main is beginning to demonstrate why he was out of favour at Doncaster. Apart from his shot that Lee did well to save in the first half he did absolutely nothing.

Forte was terrible and just didn't look to be interested....mix his skill with Main's work rate and you'd have a very good player. I wouldn't give either of them a contract for next season.

Dieng, B Wilson, Palmer and Gerrard did well, Coleman was much better and Holloway put himself about a fair bit but he needs a partner feeding off his headers and flick ons.

Not pretty today and a nervous last 10 minutes but it's all about the points at this stage.

Another £50 off the season ticket so a win against Swindon would be the icing on the cake.

Forte needs to be deployed as a striker. He doesn't have the legs on the wing anymore.

Main works hard but he pretty dumb at times, their defender made him look a right fool when Main turned to the ref to claim the ball heading out of play was ours, their defender kept it in and just strode straight past Main whilst his back was turned. He doesn't seem to make any intelligent runs either, he's pretty static and waits for the ball to come to him rather than find space to receive a pass. He should be a lot more effective for the work rate he has, because he does have some ability too.

Palmer, again, class. Best player on the pitch, challenges for every second ball, knows when and where to let a quick fire pass go, but can also hold and move forward with the ball. Everything goes through him and we'll be very lucky to sign him at the end of the season. I don't know how he's not getting in Burton's side based of what I saw on Saturday.

Kelly, was at his best for the last 10 minutes, but before that he was pretty dreadful. I think I'd rate a prime Mark Allott above Kelly.

Dieng was solid, as were Gerrard and James Wilson. Brian Wilson wasn't bad but I'll be happier when Dummigan is back.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Andy Ritchie on gmr -

Holloway has badly twisted ankle but won't know damage until swelling gone down.

The cast was only put on as a precaution.

Timmy has dislocated his shoulder and will be out for a while.

Edited by losesome

Forte needs to be deployed as a striker. He doesn't have the legs on the wing anymore.

Main works hard but he pretty dumb at times, their defender made him look a right fool when Main turned to the ref to claim the ball heading out of play was ours, their defender kept it in and just strode straight past Main whilst his back was turned. He doesn't seem to make any intelligent runs either, he's pretty static and waits for the ball to come to him rather than find space to receive a pass. He should be a lot more effective for the work rate he has, because he does have some ability too.

Palmer, again, class. Best player on the pitch, challenges for every second ball, knows when and where to let a quick fire pass go, but can also hold and move forward with the ball. Everything goes through him and we'll be very lucky to sign him at the end of the season. I don't know how he's not getting in Burton's side based of what I saw on Saturday.

Kelly, was at his best for the last 10 minutes, but before that he was pretty dreadful. I think I'd rate a prime Mark Allott above Kelly.

Dieng was solid, as were Gerrard and James Wilson. Brian Wilson wasn't bad but I'll be happier when Dummigan is back.

I'm a massive Palmer fan but I thought he should contribute more with the ability he has, especially given the 2 holding midfielder behind him.

Shame if Holloway is out, can't remember a striker who wins so much in the air. If Main could get onto his wavelength, they could be dangerous.

4 points over Easter, and 2 clean sheets. Compare that to Donny who are dropping like a stone, and Chesterfield who could have gotten clear with wins over us and Fleetwood but instead got 1 point/0 goals. And if Shrewsbury have bad fixtures, then that's another team we've caught up to.

Look after ourselves and we'll stay up.

It's a massive shame we're overly tempted to hoof it with Holloway playing. When we actually decided to stop bypassing the midfield we were dominant, and he's clearly capable of being much more than just a lamppost.

Not only that, when you've got a ball-player like Palmer in the middle it's a waste that he's not given the ball in threatening positions. Dieng is comfortable on the ball and Winchester on the bench too.

Surprised at people being down on today's performance. We knew Holloway and Main aren't Lineker and Beardsley but they did what they do and did it well. All season we would have been waiting for the sucker punch, it never came. Main played a big role in that. We plainly need to keep getting goals from midfield and defending from the front. Great win.

Harsh on Holloway. He's a far better player than the limiting role we give him. He's got everything.

He has been excellent but if he had it all he wouldn't be on loan at Latics!

He doesn't want to get into the box and get across the defender in dangerous areas. He tends to hang back on the edhpge of the box waiting for the ball. He holds it up & is very strong with great touch (maybe holds on too long sometimes)He is a work in progress but shows signs of being a top level player.

He strike me as someone who want to score great goals rather than scrappy ones. He needs to learn they all count.

Palmer is another one for me who has been excellent since arriving but he certainly isn't the 'class' player that he is being made out to be.

He keeps the ball moving well but sometimes attempts passes that are not on. He does simple things very well and I'd like to keep him here next season but he certainly isn't head and shoulders above what we already have.