Apologies if already a post but looked at top 20 and couldn't see.

Looking at remaining fixtures, I think we'll secure a further 5 points with a draw Saturday, draw against Coventy on last day and a win against Crewe. I'd love at least a point against Southend or Millwall but can't see it myself unfortunately.

With this in mind, we'll be 7 points clear of Blackpool and 14 points clear of Doncaster and Colchester. I can't see the last two delivering promotion form in their remaining games so it's a straight bun fight between us, Blackpool, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury with Chesterfield possibly dragged in (but can't see that myself).

I see Fleetwod only getting 5 points finishing on 51 points so on that basis were safe with 52 points. Blackpool I believe will gain 1 point so they'll finish on 46 with relegation.

Phew!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shrewsbury's fixtures do drag them into the more but I think it is a fairly straight fight between us, Blackpool and Fleetwood with one losing out.

The never count your chickens mantra is correct - the Crystal Palace staying up party of 92/93 should be a warning to anyone who thinks otherwise (still the highest points per game total a team has been relegated on in the Premiership).

Football can bring heartbreak - the danger that we face is complacency and the sense that we have "made it" in some quarters since last weekend.

2+ points from Tuesday / Saturday and I'd have been more confident. 0 points from those games and you are worriedly looking at the table wondering where the next points come from before you know it.

It does bring a lot of pressure on the game tomorrow. A win for either side and they will feel they are safe, defeat and they will feel under pressure.

Having been there last season - I know our fans will make it a passionate and encouraging atmosphere - so to those going fingers crossed you can cheer the boys on to 3 points!

This rollacoaster will have a few twists and turns along he way yet I am sure.

"I just dont see Oldham getting any points. 1 away game against 2nd in the table and home to Liverpool and then Southampton, surely they cant be getting the 9 points from that? And even then we'd have to lose both our games.

Let's go it and get drunk"

Steve Coppell, May1993

"I just dont see Oldham getting any points. 1 away game against 2nd in the table and home to Liverpool and then Southampton, surely they cant be getting the 9 points from that? And even then we'd have to lose both our games.

Steve Coppell, May1993

Spot on..that was as unlikely a scenario as they come yet it happened.

We're not safe until we're safe.

If either Doncaster or Colchester win their last five games to stand on 53 points then they deserve to stay up but that looks like a mission impossible.

Chesterfield should now scrape clear from 49 points which leaves Oldham, Fleetwood, Shrewsbury (game in hand) and Blackpool (played one more) to fight it out.

Could be an interesting game against Coventry but I fancy that will be a staying up party. We are top of the heap and Blackpool look like favourites for the drop.

One thing that is for sure is that the only thing we can expect is the unexpected- it is always a League when any team can beat anybody on a given day, this is even more so than ever in the mad end of season scramble.

So although we may get the 7 points originally predicted in this post I am sure they will not come in form book fashion and similarly for the other teams. These are all cup finals for all the teams involved.

Every year I have tried doing a similar logical look ahead and am always left scratching my head

Steve Coppell, May1993

To be pendantic, Citeh let them get one point