The Great Escape II

No not really

Don't want to pour cold water on the whole thing but I would personally call the 03-04 survival as more important when you consider what position we were in at the start of that season.

That said the turnaround in the second half of this season should be recognised.

Sheridan deserves a statue.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Whilst we were massively in the :censored: this season it's always been in our own hands with games in hand - in 93 we had to win all our last 3 games and hope Palace cocked up. Considering it would mean ending Villa's title hopes winning at Villa Park no one gave us a prayer... That was and always will be the definitive great escape

I Can't believe some don't think it's comparable.

The question isn't who is the better manager. The question is, given the overall circumstances which is the better survival?

Big joe won his last three. No mean feat. Especially given the opposition. But he also had better players, was riding the best period in our clubs history. The club was united behind him. If we went down he was still a hero.

Shez took us from relegation fodder to promotion form- with only four LOAN signings coming in! I doubt there is many examples of four players coming into a relegation battle and having the impact they've had. Added to that he completely changed the losing/negative mentality we had, and united the club again. Which considering the last twelve months was an achievement in itself. Shez has done an unbelievable job, which IMO far exceeds anything he did before.

It deserves to be spoken about in at least similar terms to the great escape.

Not comparable, but still 2 exceptional escapes in there own right. The first under big joe was quite simply the biggest week and most shocking results wise in the clubs history and will never be beaten.

This has been a slow burner. It's like comparing a firework to a burning candle

Edited by philliggi

Not comparable, but still 2 exceptional escapes in there own right. The first under big joe was quite simply the biggest week and most shocking results wise in the clubs history and will never be beaten.

This has been a slow burner. It's like comparing a firework to a burning candle

I totally get your point, and acknowledge you are right. But it's needs to be a bloody big candle to get the comparison right!

not even close, it went to the wire and needed wins against Villa (title contenders) and Liverpool and a very annoying Matt le Tiss

i lived every second of that escape. the journey back from Villa park... never forget it.

I wasn't expecting to do anything at Villa. We were having a relegation party. Then Nick Henry scored, United won the title (yes, we won it for them) and suddenly it was game on. Another nerve tingling roller coaster.

This one is different. We were truly abysmal, dead, down and out from August to January. Worst performances ever. I still have nightmares about Peterborough. Sheridan has performed a miracle, but this is a different type of miracle. I didn't see it coming. Well done John. Great player. Stuck by us in the bankrupt years. Got us in the play-offs. Rescues us from nailed-on relegation. Legend.