Before we get excited about next season

(assuming we stay up :smoking: )

Lets not get all giddy about play-offs and promotion just yet because there are many things that will change. The main change is the end of the ridiculous procession of loan players we have been used too.

With restrictions due to come in regarding the number of loan players we can have in a season we are going to have to have a bigger squad and keep them match fit by playing them in either a reserve league or some other competition. This is going to massively favour the bigger or richer clubs who can absorb such a cost easily.

With Oldham having to spend what very little money we have so thinly on a bigger squad, reserves and youngsters the chances of getting or retaining some of the better players will be greatly reduced.

Because of having no currant reserve team we have few, if any, youngsters already in our system ready to step up, Shez is going to have to also upgrade our scouting network, again another expense.

I remain very positive about next season, I just want people to keep our expectations realistic.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it will be an interesting summer.

The talk was always that 16/17 would be when we would start to see the benefits from the stand (no laughing at the back please) lots of players out of contract and obviously the changes to the loan system.

A good summer of sport and music to enjoy first though.

Because of having no currant reserve team we have few, if any, youngsters already in our system ready to step up

I think Shez will be a big help in raisin the confidence of our youth players. :wink:

Seriously though, yes it will be a struggle at the beginning of this new system but there will still be an available pool of players out there who are looking to prove themselves and/or looking for work. I can see a lot more prem youngsters being released this summer and a few more will be looking to prove themselves at this level in order to make the step back up.

Don't understand this viewpoint

Agree with most of what you say regarding a bigger squad is needed and that comes with added expense, but every other club in the league has the same issue. There are few teams in this league capable of spending huge amounts. Most are clubs our size and some of the bigger clubs have financial issues.

We are not expecting to be battling top 2 but there is no reason whatsoever shez can't take us to top half play off pushers next season.

The one thing you overlooked is Shez.

He won't accept second best, is a lot more seasoned than his recent predecessors and his bullish attitude means he won't be intimidated by the club hierarchy and incoming/outgoing players alike.

One swallow doesn't make a summer when it comes to effective players this season to next but he needs to try and secure Gerrard for another season and convince Palmer that his immediate future is here rather than Burton. Without breaking the bank, I'm confident we can secure both - Palmer learning his trade under a once very effective midfielder who'll now be his manager and Gerrard because he struggled to find a club last season, had a reality check and will have been bitten by the Oldham bug this season.

Shez has also proven his effectiveness in wheeling and dealing at this level, identifying loanees who strengthen rather than hinder his plans and demonstrated this season he can fire a team up against any opposition that is thrown at us.

Summer transfers will be the key obviously but with Shez at the helm and Shirtliff organising the defence then I'm really, really positive for next season.

2010. 57pts. 16th

2011. 56. 16th

2012. 54. 16th

2013. 51. 19th

2014. 56. 15th

2015. 57. 15th

Now. 57? 18th?

I think we talked about play offs before every one of those seasons.....here we go again.

And so we should. There are very fine lines between those on the fringes of the play offs and those in the bottom half.

Sometimes when a manager keeps a team from being relegated he struggles to progress in his second season. Look at Shaun Derry at Notts. County and Ronnie Moore at Hartlepool for example...

Leicester have gone from relegation certainties to potential champions. Brighton struggled at the wrong end last year and now pushing for the title.

The big advantage is Shez will already know which players fit into his plans, its then a question of availability and money.

If he can't sign any of the present loanees you can bet he will have adequate replacements in mind just as good.

I feel a good pre season is important this time with all players if possible secured on contracts before training commences.

Edited by BP1960

The big advantage with is Shez will already know which players fit into his plans, its then a question of availability and money.

If he can't sign any of the present loanees you can bet he will have adequate replacements in mind just as good.

I feel a good pre season is important this time with all players if possible secured on contracts before training commences.

This! It didn't take him long to identify what was needed in January and seemed to have back up plans in each position. This summer we won't be in the situation we had with Kelly whereby he hadn't a bloody clue about a recruitment policy.

I think there will be a big turnover over of players this summer.

Can't work out if this would be a good or bad thing.

The pre-Shez lot obviously have talent, but basically didn't bother playing for a year.

Shez will have a know which players he wants to retain & players he wants to move on, which intself is a massive advantage to the start of last season which started with Kelly.

Player recruitment is far significantly than Kelly or Dunne.

Tatical awareness significantly better than Kelly or Dunne.

Motivational skills significantly better than Kelly or Dunne.

Not geeting carried away but the above puts us in a stronger position than the start of last season with a rookie manager.

Key point also don't forget the significant funds through naming rights of the ground & the new stand generates going to player budget.

(assuming we stay up :smoking: )

Lets not get all giddy about play-offs and promotion just yet because there are many things that will change. The main change is the end of the ridiculous procession of loan players we have been used too.

With restrictions due to come in regarding the number of loan players we can have in a season we are going to have to have a bigger squad and keep them match fit by playing them in either a reserve league or some other competition. This is going to massively favour the bigger or richer clubs who can absorb such a cost easily.

With Oldham having to spend what very little money we have so thinly on a bigger squad, reserves and youngsters the chances of getting or retaining some of the better players will be greatly reduced.

Because of having no currant reserve team we have few, if any, youngsters already in our system ready to step up, Shez is going to have to also upgrade our scouting network, again another expense.

I remain very positive about next season, I just want people to keep our expectations realistic.

airplane_zps219a9bqs.jpg