Pre season protest

We're all pissed off with Latics fortunes the last 12 months, and it's great those people feel passionate enough to voice their concerns, but no club that has this type of fan protest going on has prospered. As somebody else pointed out, if 3000 or so of us put £1 a week into the club we could increase the playing budget (with assurances that's where it would go) by £150K, wouldn't that be a better more helpful thing to do?

Good luck fitting that on a banner

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is it's a protest about an owner not putting enough money in, when we already know he hasn't got the millions required. The next message is to leave if he's not going to do this, well it's no secret that the club has been up for sale for a number of years and there's been no credible takers.

We do know he hasn't got the millions required, but I think we're owed an explanation as to why we're so skint. Where's the Sports Direct money gone, that Corney told us was going to give us a competitive budget? Isn't the money generated from the new stand supposed to be kicking in this season?

I think we all know the answer to the questions, but it would be good to hear it from the horses mouth..

We do know he hasn't got the millions required, but I think we're owed an explanation as to why we're so skint. Where's the Sports Direct money gone, that Corney told us was going to give us a competitive budget? Isn't the money generated from the new stand supposed to be kicking in this season?

I think we all know the answer to the questions, but it would be good to hear it from the horses mouth..

Totally agree it would be good to get answers from the horses mouth to a lot of the questions the fans raise on here, but I would have thought we could do this via our fans representative on the board couldn't we? My issue is with the message of the protest around put money in or leave; I can't see us being able to bring in the type of manager and players we'd all like to see if they turn up and there's a protest at the door. We might be viewed as another Blackpool.

With Sportsdirect, it amounted to about £200K a year from a budget that was about £1.5M I think. My guess, and it is a guess as like you point out we don't have the facts, is that the stand running over the timescale and running over budget has increased the return on investment period which had meant any revenues from it aren't falling on to the bottom line yet.

But yes, this is the type of information we need to hear from someone who's in the know, and not people guessing or claiming to be in the know on social media.

Has this really come about because a manager has walked out to get a bigger wage elsewhere?

But Shez wouldn't leave us fans who he loves and who love him unless evil Mr. Corney forced him because he's took all his budget money to buy yachts for him and his mates.

Has this really come about because a manager has walked out to get a bigger wage elsewhere?

It would appear so. We don't even know the new managers name yet or the players that may arrive. I think people have shot their load a little early... but then they are quite young and inexperienced.

It's been stated that the budget hadn't changed from what was previously agreed with Shez. But I think the fans have every right to ask questions of the statements made in the past about how sponsorship deals and the new stand will increase our budget and help us compete nearer the top. I think it's great that people care enough to do something about it rather than smug sniping on here.

Good to hear a meeting with the trust has been set up too, from what I've read Simon Brooke is very open and approachable so this should be a good avenue to bridge the gap between club and fans.

It's not just about the manager walking out for a bigger wage (to a club in the division below), is it? It's about mis-management of the club, particularly for the last 18 months.

I'm sure I heard the club had produced a sales prospectus with information on how much a buyer would need to spend to reach the Championship & then Premier League. The selling price was a ridiculous amount of mllions though - not an amount where anyone credible who see an opportunity. There's a bit more to selling the club than saying "it's available to someone who will progress the club".

It's not just about the manager walking out for a bigger wage (to a club in the division below), is it? It's about mis-management of the club, particularly for the last 18 months.

Ched Evans was an emotive one, everyone has a different opinion on it.

They took their eye off the ball after Johnson left for sure but got it sorted in the end.

The Scouse loan doesn't look great but without any meat on the bones we are guessing about it.

Apart from that not a whole different to how it has been since 2010.

They took their eye off the ball after Johnson left for sure but got it sorted in the end.

Apart from that not a whole different to how it has been since 2010.

Not sure you can say that the board got it sorted when the manager they brought in to sort it has just left.

I think the fact that we've been going nowhere (up or down) and that things haven't been different since 2009/10 is a problem in itself. Add to that the two managers who have shown glimpses of taking us in the right direction have decided that teams in lower positions (regardless of their stature) are better options shows that the chances of future progression are slim.

Totally agree it would be good to get answers from the horses mouth to a lot of the questions the fans raise on here, but I would have thought we could do this via our fans representative on the board couldn't we? My issue is with the message of the protest around put money in or leave; I can't see us being able to bring in the type of manager and players we'd all like to see if they turn up and there's a protest at the door. We might be viewed as another Blackpool.

With Sportsdirect, it amounted to about £200K a year from a budget that was about £1.5M I think. My guess, and it is a guess as like you point out we don't have the facts, is that the stand running over the timescale and running over budget has increased the return on investment period which had meant any revenues from it aren't falling on to the bottom line yet.

But yes, this is the type of information we need to hear from someone who's in the know, and not people guessing or claiming to be in the know on social media.

If chucking more money in isn't an option for whatever reason(s) shouldn't Corney just employ some people who are better at generating it via the various methods available to a football club?

Koukash is currently taking the Super League to court because he wants to pay his players more, wouldn't that be a novelty a chairman who pays more than £250 a week.

Looks like you have a point with the first comment. Why go on ruin it with the £250 a week comment which is clearly untrue? I'll refer to what singe said about credibility.

It would appear so. We don't even know the new managers name yet or the players that may arrive. I think people have shot their load a little early... but then they are quite young and inexperienced.

They'll have to top this current level of outrage next time something disappointing happens too....

Where will it end?

But I'd say mismanagement had nothing to do with Sheridan leaving, he just left because he was offered a better salary like any of us would in our jobs.

But absolutely there was mismanagement with the Ched Evans saga, and then the appointment of Kelly and Dunn when I think most people could see after Holden's temporary spell in charge we needed experience at the helm. But even with that, the board were only following a formula that had worked with Frizzell, Royle, Dowie, Johnson etc.

But I'd say mismanagement had nothing to do with Sheridan leaving, he just left because he was offered a better salary like any of us would in our jobs.

But absolutely there was mismanagement with the Ched Evans saga, and then the appointment of Kelly and Dunn when I think most people could see after Holden's temporary spell in charge we needed experience at the helm. But even with that, the board were only following a formula that had worked with Frizzell, Royle, Dowie, Johnson etc.

Wouldn't you consider a club in the division below with a transfer embargo being a more attractive option mismanagement?