The King is dead...... long live the King (and a financial offer to the club)

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

I`ve been on holiday and not used social media or read a newspaper for 2 weeks (very refreshing) and am utterly gutted about Shez's departure. That said, however, I personally would summarise as follows:-

1) A huge thank you to Shez - keeping us in this division was a miracle in itself

2) Oldham Athletic is my football team - it has been all my life - so I will carry on supporting them regardless

3) I`ve said this before on other threads and I make no apologies for repeating it - every fan needs to target their money at supporting the club/playing side wherever they can (e.g. pointless raising funds for a scoreboard when, according to a good source, our playing budget for next season is dire).

4) I`ll put my money where my mouth is - PROVIDING I GET RE-ASSURANCE FROM MR CORNEY HIMSELF, I AM QUITE HAPPY TO HAND OVER MY £150 SEASON TICKET "REFUND" PROVIDING IT GOES TOWARDS THE PLAYING BUDGET - IF EVERYONE ELSE IS WILLING TO DO THAT - IT WILL HELP THE CLUB's CAUSE.

5) Although gutted to lose Shez - such is life - the club will always be bigger than one person - at least we have some time to try and make the correct appointment.

6) Please stop all the silly speculation. Contracts etc. are subject of confidentiality clauses, so we'll probably never know the full truth as to why Shez has left. All we know is - he's gone - and the new King will need our full support.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post! Agree if fans stop going it's counter productive. No fans no club! Would rather have my club than not one at all. Whether you like corney or not unless someone with millions to plough in he is our best hope. Support the team and don't stop going!!

The season ticket offer really has :censored:ed the club over, the offer was made to attract people who haven't bought a season ticket before and the expected people who normally bought one would just wait and pay full price but they havent really attracted that many new people and the regulars just took advantage of the offer, i mean who wouldn't? Since close season only a handful of tickets have been bought and things don't look great cash wise. This monstrosity of a decision has really hurt the club budget wise and it's why Shez has gone as he would not be able to meet his ambitions with the budget Corney was offering.
Offering to refund the money people saved with the offer would be very helpful but as NewBlue said, ensure it goes to playershare.

.. that's it in a nutshell for me!

shows an absolute misunderstanding and skant disregard of what is every clubs life-blood... it's fans!

to even think that the regular ST holders wouldn't take the gamble .. and worse still have the firm idea that their own employees wouldn't win one single game (to add another perspective - maybe Shez was thinking that also? maybe he thought they didn't believe in him also?)

one day they WILL figure out how important we all are to Oldham Athletic when there isn't anyone knocking at the the door to come in!

Edited by thetramdriver

The season ticket offer really has :censored:ed the club over, the offer was made to attract people who haven't bought a season ticket before and the expected people who normally bought one would just wait and pay full price but they havent really attracted that many new people and the regulars just took advantage of the offer, i mean who wouldn't? Since close season only a handful of tickets have been bought and things don't look great cash wise. This monstrosity of a decision has really hurt the club budget wise and it's why Shez has gone as he would not be able to meet his ambitions with the budget Corney was offering.

Offering to refund the money people saved with the offer would be very helpful but as NewBlue said, ensure it goes to playershare.

I don't think they believed existing season ticket holders wouldn't take up the offer. They're not that naive.

I don't think they expected us to win 3 of the games though.

When put in to context of the delays to wages being paid several times earlier in the season, it seems almost certain the motivation for the offer was short term cash flow requirements, hence the amplified knock on effect on next season's budget.

They did the season ticket offer in March but didn't expect current season ticket holders to take advantage?!

Ha! Amazing. Despite serious competition that's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here.

Guest nonaenever

No body forced the club into making the season ticket offer I would have brought one regardless but you can kiss my arse if you think I'am going to hand £150 back why should I.

Because it might just save your club from "going under"??? A possibility it has to be said

They did the season ticket offer in March but didn't expect current season ticket holders to take advantage?!

Ha! Amazing. Despite serious competition that's got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here.

Hard to believe i know but the board really are that deluded

Because it might just save your club from "going under"??? A possibility it has to be said

i feel really guilty now taking up that offer!!! First thing Tuesday morning I will give corney £150 back!!! LIkE :censored: I WILL!!

I think most people knew at the time that the season ticket offer would have a negative affect on the budget for next season. It seemed pretty clear to me, though, that we must have had pretty desperate cash flow issues and needed that money in ASAP.

It is quite possible that without fans buying those tickets we either wouldn't have made it until the end of the season or ee'd have had to take out finance that would have cost us even more than we've refunded on season tickets.

I'm only going to engage with you the once, but my understanding is that the player budget for next season is what Shez was told it would be when he signed his deal.

Sorry if that buggers up your well thought out theories.

I'm only going to engage with you the once, but my understanding is that the player budget for next season is what Shez was told it would be when he signed his deal.

Sorry if that buggers up your well thought out theories.

Not according to Shez.

I suspect that Sheridan sent his agent off anywhere to find him a club as he didn't think Latics had the financial strength to honour his contract and the contracts of the players he wanted to bring in. That, coupled with the desperate need for cash (season ticket discounts) is where I think we are. Anything other than that then he has let us down. Sounds like we are in financial difficulties again and It may help to stop the hares running if the club were to deliver an honest statement, give an interview on player with Simon Corney, and then add in the acceptance by us, the supporters, that it is incredibly difficult to run a club with any success at this level on crowds of 3,000 plus. The budget isn't enough to attract the players to compete at the top end unless, a la Royle, we manage to collect a group of modest players that just happen to gel and develop beyond expectations. That's the reality, now is the time for the board/Corney to talk to us, they are only the current custodians, it's our club for life.

Edited by Stainrod