-We are only 3 points off the top.

-We still have 135 points to play for.

-We are still in 2 1/2 competitions (FL trophy counts as half a trophy now and prem/champ sides now let in)

-We are likely to make 3-4 signings by the end if the month.

-Today's fixture was one of the toughest in the calender we have this out the way now.

-This is Latics all kinds of weird and wonderful :censored: good and bad can happen in the next 9 months.

-I guessed the correct score in the prediction league.

Roll on next Saturday for the first home game.

Biggest thing that's pissed me off is I bottled a 3-0 Millwall win prediction and guessed 3-1 cos stevie j called someone out on it. I'm a coward

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest thing that's pissed me off is I bottled a 3-0 Millwall win prediction and guessed 3-1 cos stevie j called someone out on it. I'm a coward

Nothing to be ashamed of, even the champion was rattled by it but I was calling him out on missing out his HT prediction.

Like the fact that your prediction score may have pissed you off more than the actual result. It did me as I was on for at least the HT result until the chuffers let the second one in aagghhh.

Edited by underdog

Everybody want us to be free flowing, goal scoring and smashing teams out of sight.

However we had 10 debutants today who are all trying to get to know each other's game. Resulys & hopefully performances will come with time but also we will have added about 4 more players.

Realistically everyone should be pissed off that we got beat 3-0 but should also note it was to promotion favourites and wasnt a shock.

I would like to have seen us there 3 months down the line....

I expected the worst yesterday and so it proved. Too early to tell I agree but the signs are not too promising.

No pace, no guile, no cohesion. Too many went missing in a tough game. Some positives in Ripley, Clarke, Flynn, Green and Fane. With good cameos from Klok and Osei.

Clarke needs to be more vocal at the back (a la Gerrard) and we do need at least four more players with pace. A fullback, a centre midfield (Baxter for example) a winger (Martis would have been perfect) and a proper striker.

Not many positives but there's still a long way to go.

Millwall have lost key players over the summer ( notably the centre half and Taylor) from the team which finished 6 th in our league.....nevertheless let's not let that stop us elevating them to Barca status to justify our result

As far as I can see we lost by an innings to a team who declared at half time?

I expected the worst yesterday and so it proved. Too early to tell I agree but the signs are not too promising.

No pace, no guile, no cohesion. Too many went missing in a tough game. Some positives in Ripley, Clarke, Flynn, Green and Fane. With good cameos from Klok and Osei.

Clarke needs to be more vocal at the back (a la Gerrard) and we do need at least four more players with pace. A fullback, a centre midfield (Baxter for example) a winger (Martis would have been perfect) and a proper striker.

Not many positives but there's still a long way to go.

We have proper strikers but no supply. 2 winger and another striker to come in. We don't need another midfielder.

I don't know who you watched but the last time Baxter & speed were mentioned in the same sentence it was in an official statement about his suspension for banned substances.

Millwall have lost key players over the summer ( notably the centre half and Taylor) from the team which finished 6 th in our league.....nevertheless let's not let that stop us elevating them to Barca status to justify our result

Taylor was on loan at the end of the season, he wasn't a key player.

I must say that I also fail to see how our current squad can be defended both in size and quality-we are not set up to even compete in this division.

Millwall might have lost two key players whereas unfortunately we lost all of ours.

I expect just three points from August and as a consequence more signings.

Winning this game would have been an outstanding start but would there have been the same pressure to improve our squad.

We have proper strikers but no supply. 2 winger and another striker to come in. We don't need another midfielder.

I don't know who you watched but the last time Baxter & speed were mentioned in the same sentence it was in an official statement about his suspension for banned substances.

Baxter brings speed of thought. We had no-one yesterday in the centre of midfield with his guile and awareness. We do need another midfielder.

The manager summed it up well. This squad has been together a few weeks. And recruitment isn't finished, he's clearly aware of what's needed.

Millwall have a settled squad and manager, arguably the best strike pairing in the division and have momentum from last year.

Put those both together and I'm not sure how anyone can be surprised at the result?

The refreshing thing for me is the way the manager talks about identifying what is needed and building this over time. No promises, no bull:censored:, just a plan about how to get out of this division. There is no mystery billionaire to come and do this overnight. So patience is required from everyone. Although granted this is a big ask when we're in our 20th season in this league.

So deep analysis and angst over the lack of creativity and cohesion is a waste of time at this stage.

The positives for me are the reports from those that went who said the main players in the team played well.. Fane, Green, Flynn etc. The cheaper squad players will come and go but if he's spending the bigger money in the right way then that's a big plus.

Baxter brings speed of thought. We had no-one yesterday in the centre of midfield with his guile and awareness. We do need another midfielder.

Maybe 3 years ago! He's just a fat mess who doesn't care & has had long term suspensions with another hanging over his head.

We have plenty of midfielders who have quality. They just need a competitive games under their belts to prove it.

We need wingers!

Henry and Milligan?

Do we want wingers or do we want number 10s? Can't have both on our budget. Flynn is a winger so we're in need of a left winger for me. And another left back. And a striker. If there's money left after that for a creative central midfielder then fine. But with Banks, Green and Fane I can't see that being the priority at this stage.

There appears to be a concensus that we're well short of quality at the moment. Although there are no doubt more signings to come, given that the manager has signed pretty much all of the current squad, I'm surprised there's not more questions being asked.

Far too early to be criticising but if we're already questioning the quality of the team, the reason they were signed should be questioned.

Maybe 3 years ago! He's just a fat mess who doesn't care & has had long term suspensions with another hanging over his head.

We have plenty of midfielders who have quality. They just need a competitive games under their belts to prove it.

We need wingers!

We don't have any midfielder with creativity anywhere near his ability. We've got one, perhaps pushing two, creative midfielders. If we're relying on Ollie Banks and Ryan Flynn from deeper to produce we're gonna be scoring fewer goals than the Dunn era...

I'd take him back in a heartbeat against what we've got, and I'm sure Robinson will be desperately searching for another attacking mid, especially if he gets rid of Winchester.

There appears to be a concensus that we're well short of quality at the moment. Although there are no doubt more signings to come, given that the manager has signed pretty much all of the current squad, I'm surprised there's not more questions being asked.

Far too early to be criticising but if we're already questioning the quality of the team, the reason they were signed should be questioned.

We've signed a whole squad that will take time to gel, learn how each other plays and learn what the manager wants.

Problem is some people seem to be questioning why that's not happening instantly.

Those who are questioning the team and the players bought after 1 competitive game are judging far too early.

There is nothing wrong with the players brought in at the moment but we still lack numbers and quality in certain areas. The manager has knows this which is the most important thing, it's just depends on what he does about it this week.

Edited by palmer1

We don't have any midfielder with creativity anywhere near his ability. We've got one, perhaps pushing two, creative midfielders. If we're relying on Ollie Banks and Ryan Flynn from deeper to produce we're gonna be scoring fewer goals than the Dunn era...

I'd take him back in a heartbeat against what we've got, and I'm sure Robinson will be desperately searching for another attacking mid, especially if he gets rid of Winchester.

I'll say it again, overweight & a 2nd drug ban hanging over him. Nobody disputes his quality from 3 years ago but ask yourselves why Sheffield Utd got rid and nobody has taken him on?

Baxter from 3 years ago all day but you are all kidding yourselves if you think the Baxter of 3 years ago is around today.

We've signed a whole squad that will take time to gel, learn how each other plays and learn what the manager wants.

Problem is some people seem to be questioning why that's not happening instantly.

Those people do support Oldham Athletic, but dont understand football

It seems to be every season in recent years that we're talking about be patient and making allowances for the fact that the team building isn't complete and the players don't yet know each other.

Another way of putting it is that we're not ready for the start of the season. The drawn out process of appointing the manager has put us in this position again.

I'll say it again, overweight & a 2nd drug ban hanging over him. Nobody disputes his quality from 3 years ago but ask yourselves why Sheffield Utd got rid and nobody has taken him on?

Baxter from 3 years ago all day but you are all kidding yourselves if you think the Baxter of 3 years ago is around today.

He was fat when he was here, and he played his best football for us - some players suit some clubs. I don't see how he's got worse. Players don't lose the natural talent he had.

Anyhow, I'm not calling for him back specifically, as much as I'd like that. We just need somebody ahead of Ollie Banks. We're badly short of creativity from midfield and it'll cause unrest if we aren't scoring goals once again.

Those people do support Oldham Athletic, but dont understand football

Brian Clough used to say that within a week he could train any amateur team to get their fair share of 0-0 draws. Other aspects would take longer.

As Stevie J says we are obviously not ready yet. That is the fault of the board-utterly and completely. They seem to have other priorities.

How many points away from safety and at what date will we need to be before some people cease with their blind loyalty.