• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Burgess - Hopeless

Woodland - Hopeless
Kettings - Largely Hopeless
Edmundson - Largely Hopeless
McLaughlin - Largely Hopeless
Banks - Largely Hopeless (worldie aside - did improve second-half)
Flynn - Anonymous

We badly missed Clarke and Ripley in particular, as well as somebody (Green) to control the game from the middle of the park.

HOWEVER.

Ladapo looks impressive, Osei and Croft both changed the game when they came on at HT, and I thought Mckay played well too. Brian and Dunne were both fine.

So with Ripley/Clarke/Green/Fané/Erwin to come back in, I think there's a decent XI in there. And can't really complain for a fiver.

(As an aside, Carlisle look quite good, and Mike Jones was the best player on the park...)

(As an aside, Carlisle look quite good, and Mike Jones was the best player on the park...)[/font][/color]

Jones played a lot deeper than we ever played him, just in front of the back four.

Carlisle played well and they stretched the game. Pulling two defenders near the corner flag for goal kicks sounds stupid but it pulls two strikers with them. They look a decent side.

Edited by blueatheart

Can't remember seeing a worse keeper than Kettings. Arguably could have prevented all five goals and was their Man of the Match by a mile. Says it all when home fans gave him an ironic cheer the only time he came off his line to claim a cross. If Ripley gets injured we really are in trouble, but as soon as him, Clarke, Green and Fane come back, tonight's awful defence won't be a problem.

Upfront Lapado looks very impressive, and Osei turned the game around. I'd start Lapado and McKay on Saturday because they linked up pretty smartly at times. Good to see Winchester back who looked to attack, hopefully he can push himself back into contention now.

Not often you come away from a defeat feeling happy, but that was a really entertaining game tonight.

Can't remember seeing a worse keeper than Kettings. Arguably could have prevented all five goals and was their Man of the Match by a mile. Says it all when home fans gave him an ironic cheer the only time he came off his line to claim a cross. If Ripley gets injured we really are in trouble, but as soon as him, Clarke, Green and Fane come back, tonight's awful defence won't be a problem.

Upfront Lapado looks very impressive, and Osei turned the game around. I'd start Lapado and McKay on Saturday because they linked up pretty smartly at times. Good to see Winchester back who looked to attack, hopefully he can push himself back into contention now.

Not often you come away from a defeat feeling happy, but that was a really entertaining game tonight.

Its a weird one with Kettings. The two times he came he dealt with it relatively well by catching and then getting a decent punch on the ball. But most of the time he seemed :censored: scared to come off his line and the defence didn't help.

That was basically a friendly but decent effort from both teams defence was shocking Edmunson has a lot to learn Kettings had a nightmare and Burgess looked different player without Clarke, Ladapo looks sharp very fast and powerful runner will cause problems, pleased for Osei could be a decent prospect he's give Robinson something to think about, Flynn was was invisible again, Robinson has a dilemma who to play up top on Saturday now obviously Green, Fane, Clarke, Ripley, Law all back in interesting to see who he picks up top. Also think Crofty deserves a start superb effort from him when he came on, month to month contract could be a good thing for him to keep him on his toes.

Guest nonaenever

It's funny how people see the same game from a very different perspective. Mine is :-

1) The attendance was truly appalling. A fiver to get in - and kids for free - does this town actually want a professional football team ?

2) The performance was abysmal - one of the most shocking defensive and midfield displays I have ever witnessed - against a 4th division side, we let 5 goals in - they looked as if they would score from every set piece and, at times, passed it around us as if they were Real Madrid.

3) The keeper, Banks, Edmundson and McLaughlin - absolutely awful - I said after Bradford that if we get injuries to a couple of key players we'd be screwed. Tonight showed we have no strength in depth whatsoever. Without Clarke in defence, we will be annihilated in our division - please stay injury free, Mr Clarke.

4) Been saying for a while Osei deserves his chance - boy, did he take it tonight - a real handful.

5) A word for good old Crofty - very well done - you showed most of the side how to actually play football.

6) Overall - utter bobbins but with a couple of bright individuals.

7) If several of those on show tonight are supposed to be our back up - God help us

It's funny how people see the same game from a very different perspective. Mine is :-

1) The attendance was truly appalling. A fiver to get in - and kids for free - does this town actually want a professional football team ?

2) The performance was abysmal - one of the most shocking defensive and midfield displays I have ever witnessed - against a 4th division side, we let 5 goals in - they looked as if they would score from every set piece and, at times, passed it around us as if they were Real Madrid.

3) The keeper, Banks, Edmundson and McLaughlin - absolutely awful - I said after Bradford that if we get injuries to a couple of key players we'd be screwed. Tonight showed we have no strength in depth whatsoever. Without Clarke in defence, we will be annihilated in our division - please stay injury free, Mr Clarke.

4) Been saying for a while Osei deserves his chance - boy, did he take it tonight - a real handful.

5) A word for good old Crofty - very well done - you showed most of the side how to actually play football.

6) Overall - utter bobbins but with a couple of bright individuals.

7) If several of those on show tonight are supposed to be our back up - God help us

You forgot Woodlands, which isn't surprising as I don't remember him touching the ball. Looks a very short term contract for him

Seemed an experiment... Edmunson to CB with Burgess clearly lacked a leader. I'd imagine that Brian Wilson is cover for CB in the league on that showing.

Where was Flynn?

Bank is going to frustrate me, but good goal with the moving ball.

New striker looks class.

Osei is my new hero.

Likely the last night we will see Winchester looking at the player handshakes, but that doesn't bother me.

Was Woodlands running through treacle?

Very weakened team, but scoring practice was a success.

Edited by ddot_m

Guest nonaenever

You forgot Woodlands, which isn't surprising as I don't remember him touching the ball. Looks a very short term contract for him

Sorry I did - you're right - probably the worst of all !

Guest nonaenever

Did Winchester offer anything in his 15min sub appearance?

No. I was a previous fan of his - but he's had it with us now - time to go.

Did Winchester offer anything in his 15min sub appearance?

Saw him sprint for the first time during a game.

If he is to make a career in football it'll out playing out wide like Johnson played him rather than in the middle. He doesn't have the stamina or the physical attributes to be a CM.

Can't remember seeing a worse keeper than Kettings. Arguably could have prevented all five goals and was their Man of the Match by a mile. Says it all when home fans gave him an ironic cheer the only time he came off his line to claim a cross.

You've got a terrible memory if you think this guy's the worst we've served up over the years.

I thought that despite a few early howlers he picked himself up well. He didn't look too shabby in pre-season either.

The first ironic cheer, incidentally, came about 20 minutes into the match, as the prunes who initiated it clearly fancied targeting someone. Anyone.

The format of this competition has no place in professional football. The club, and others, have already sold their souls on it to make the £££s they saw necessary. My non-attendance was a deliberate act of protest against this.

If you don't understand this, shame on you.

And 75% of fixtures in this arse wipe of a competition got a smaller crowd than Latics last night.

Edited by opinions4u

The aim of this competition for us is to get squad players and young players game time in more competitive surroundings than reserve team football.

Ketting, Edmundson, Mclaughlin, and even Burgess while by the sounds of it all having stinkers will learn something I would hope from last night. Plus it will have been good for both Osei and McKay to break their goalscoring ducks. Green, Clarke, Ripley, and Erwin will all have been nicely rested too so should be nice and fresh for Saturday.

Hopefully we continue with this kind of selection for the other 2 games of this competition.

Edited by GlossopLatic