Robinson on Radio Manchester Tonight

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares what the budget is? We were going bankrupt according to a load of mongs on here 3 months ago. We've got a squad gelling and what seems to be a good manager. I don't care how little we spend as long as the team comes good this season.

Ignorance is bliss.

So long as the team does well this season, it doesnt matter how much has been spent. Well that is stating the bleeding obvious.

If too little has been spent then the team won't do well. Take a look at the league table without blaming referees or bad luck.

We have played 2 decent teams this season and earned a point.

We won a game away with an own goal. We have earned 3 points from 4 home games against lesser teams who will all finish bottom half.

We have 3 decent players, Ripley (not ours) Clarke and Green none of whom will be here next season. Dummigan may be a bonus.

We have 2 potential players both from non league. The rest are misfits and loan players being paid little or by their own clubs.

After 7 matches Croft the Pie man is our game changer and people are asking for Bambi to come back in to give us attacking options.

And you think that money doesnt matter, more fool you. Corney is having us for mugs. We will finish below Rochdale

Ignorance is bliss.

So long as the team does well this season, it doesnt matter how much has been spent. Well that is stating the bleeding obvious.

If too little has been spent then the team won't do well. Take a look at the league table without blaming referees or bad luck.

We won a game away with an own goal. We have earned 3 points from 4 home games against lesser teams who will all finish bottom half.

We have 3 decent players, Ripley (not ours) Clarke and Green none of whom will be here next season. Dummigan may be a bonus.

We have 2 potential players both from non league. The rest are misfits and loan players being paid little or by their own clubs.

After 7 matches Croft the Pie man is our game changer and people are asking for Bambi to come back in to give us attacking options.

And you think that money doesnt matter, more fool you. Corney is having us for mugs. We will finish below Rochdale

By saying we will finish below Rochdale you're predicting they will improve whereas we will not. Don't get that logic.

You may not want to factor in bad luck or refs. Fair enough. But you can't not factor in lack of a proper pre season and the fact that a complete new squad was put together in a short space of time. Suggests there's a good chance we will get better.

Ignorance is bliss.

What do you know about Rochdale that their own fans don't?

What do you know about Rochdale that their own fans don't?

And fans on message boards know it all dont they?

By saying we will finish below Rochdale you're predicting they will improve whereas we will not. Don't get that logic.

You may not want to factor in bad luck or refs. Fair enough. But you can't not factor in lack of a proper pre season and the fact that a complete new squad was put together in a short space of time. Suggests there's a good chance we will get better.

I would suggest that we look at things after this weekend when both teams have played 4 at home and 4 away.

Fair point regarding the :censored: pre-season (which we should not have had anyway) but what happens when Clarke or Ripley are out

And fans on message boards know it all dont they?

I would suggest that we look at things after this weekend when both teams have played 4 at home and 4 away.

Fair point regarding the :censored: pre-season (which we should not have had anyway) but what happens when Clarke or Ripley are out

Why so negative? What happens if they remain fit and available all season?

I am not being negative-just realistic,

We have no real squad apart from midfielders and perhaps fullbacks.

You can only be realistic on actual results. When it comes to future predictions you are either positive or negative.I can never understand why people are not positive about their own team.We all hope that our team does well,it is a main reason why we support them.There is quality in this team and I believe we will have a good season.

There were plenty of people who predicted doom last season-I suspect Chaddy Smoker you were one of them-you were all wrong.

You can only be realistic on actual results. When it comes to future predictions you are either positive or negative.I can never understand why people are not positive about their own team.We all hope that our team does well,it is a main reason why we support them.There is quality in this team and I believe we will have a good season.

There were plenty of people who predicted doom last season-I suspect Chaddy Smoker you were one of them-you were all wrong.

He definitely was and is one of them

There's probably a bit of pressure on Osei to come out of this season looking ready to be a main man at the beginning of the next, being the only man contracted. It's quite clear our capacity to sign quality strikers at this level is severely restricted, so nurturing may be the only way, then adding a few loans alongside.

I imagine that the worse Mckay does the more likely we are to take him next season. Robinson seems to have unwavering confidence in his abilities. Whether or not Mckay would want to continue playing for a team that he struggled at when I'm sure he'd get an easy move to Scotland, I don't know. Neither can I see Erwin getting a go at Leeds, even tho he's looked pretty good so far. I'd really like to have him next season.

Given the poor crowds we get i can't believe anybody is shocked by how small our budget is !!!!!!

People need to stop mugging others off with this "poor crowds" excuse. It's extremely lame...the crowds have been heading south for some years, it's not new news and it is a slide nobody expects to halt for the foreseeable.

So have a re-read of these 2 articles which BOTH were triumphed at the time as the future of OAFC and the way to stabilise the club and to use Simons own words "push us to the next level" (he didn't mean the Championship...but I'm certain he meant not missing paying players properly last Dec and loaning £241,000 off a scouse company.)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11730/9409533/league-one-oldham-chairman-simon-corney-underlines-importance-of-community-engagement-with-football-clubs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28144525

Out of those two articles the biggest line of all is this...."you can no longer live just by using your football clubs once every two weeks 25 times a year."

No Simon...you can't. But you are enforcing that OAFC only receives money from matchday related events. So by your own admission, you're failing us and it's only luck rather than judgement that has kept us afloat so far.

People need to stop mugging others off with this "poor crowds" excuse. It's extremely lame...the crowds have been heading south for some years, it's not new news and it is a slide nobody expects to halt for the foreseeable.

So have a re-read of these 2 articles which BOTH were triumphed at the time as the future of OAFC and the way to stabilise the club and to use Simons own words "push us to the next level" (he didn't mean the Championship...but I'm certain he meant not missing paying players properly last Dec and loaning £241,000 off a scouse company.)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11730/9409533/league-one-oldham-chairman-simon-corney-underlines-importance-of-community-engagement-with-football-clubs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28144525

Out of those two articles the biggest line of all is this...."you can no longer live just by using your football clubs once every two weeks 25 times a year."

No Simon...you can't. But you are enforcing that OAFC only receives money from matchday related events. So by your own admission, you're failing us and it's only luck rather than judgement that has kept us afloat so far.

I believe its club related events and shindigs......

I am not being negative-just realistic,

We have no real squad apart from midfielders and perhaps fullbacks.

I have read your final sentence a few times just so I don't misinterpret...so...what you are saying is that apart from midfielders and perhaps fullbacks we have no real squad?

I will drop Steve Robinson a note to point this out to him and ask him to check on which positions the following play:

Ladapo, Erwin, Osei, McKay, Clarke, Burgess, Ripley.

I have read your final sentence a few times just so I don't misinterpret...so...what you are saying is that apart from midfielders and perhaps fullbacks we have no real squad?

I will drop Steve Robinson a note to point this out to him and ask him to check on which positions the following play:

Ladapo, Erwin, Osei, McKay, Clarke, Burgess, Ripley.

I suspect that his mathematics might be a lot better than yours or at least I hope so

There's probably a bit of pressure on Osei to come out of this season looking ready to be a main man at the beginning of the next

Really? He's a young lad with (I imagine) few or no responsibilities.

I don't think I felt any pressure in any way until I was about 30. Despite never having been as good at anything as Osei is at football...

Edited by HarryBosch

Guest nonaenever

In all honesty it's very difficult to predict what our league position will look like come the end of the season. At present, I would say if Clarke suffers a serious injury we are relegation certainties (unless we then signed Gerrard of course). That's how important he is to the team. I have to agree with another poster on here that only Clarke, Ripley and Green stand out (except I would add Fane to that list if he maintains consistency and improves certain aspects). Osei looks to have raw talent if given the chance. The rest do look mediocre - and hopefully Dummigan will shine (and maybe Ladapo). I was very optimistic after the Dummigan signing. What knocked me for 6 was the 2 poor performances at home just gone. The team's had to time to gel but we looked shabby in both games - Shrewsbury and Chesterfiled were crap - if we can't beat them at home, the omens are not good. I hope I am wrong but early season optimism is starting to wane rapidly. Unless we score some goals and chalk up some victories people will not be convinced. By the way, how long should it take professional footballers to gel?

I know success does not come overnight (just look at Joe Royle) but the days of picking up Denis Irwin, Earl Barrett, Andy Ritchie etc. for peanuts have long gone - we have no money - we are not going to be able to make quality signings if things don't work out with the current squad of generally average players - that's the problem.