Robinson on Radio Manchester Tonight

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robbo said that with a bit of luck and better refereeing we could be "12 or 13 points better off"

So that'd be 19 or 20 points and top of the league at least 4 points clear of Bolton.

I'll have a pint of whatever he's on!!!

He must have been reading OWTB and McDuffs posts. SR does like his mathematics doesnt he?

Anybody have an examples of when leaving a man on the half way line at a corner actually gave us an attacking advantage? Anything at all? Examples from elsewhere in recent years?

Nope, just the famous Cristiano Montano defending in the box for a corner at Stevenage, picking up the loose ball, running the length of the pitch and scoring the best goal I've seen from us in a long time.

Robbo said that with a bit of luck and better refereeing we could be "12 or 13 points better off"

So that'd be 19 or 20 points and top of the league at least 4 points clear of Bolton.

We'd be doing very well indeed to be 13 points better off - that'd give us 20 points from an available 21...

He must have been reading OWTB and McDuffs posts. SR does like his mathematics doesnt he?

We'd be doing very well indeed to be 13 points better off - that'd give us 20 points from an available 21...

In an interview I think the other day he said with those decisions we'd be on 12 or 13 points. So must have just got a bit muddled on live radio. Much like Jimmy Wagg repeatedly referring to him as the chairman.

So Dunne wouldn't have wrestled his man to the ground if we had 2 strikers up?

The box was crowded, zonal defenders push and shove to make room, having less is the box and genuine marking - which appears to be taboo in today's coaching manuals, is my preference.

Also we would would see the return of the lost art of goalkeepers taking crosses, whereas now due to everyone back they are often baulked by their own team mates.

Put a man on either wing near the half way line, one in the middle and watch opponents panic on how to cope, they would actually be more concerned about conceding than scoring from corners.

It wont happen though, SC says most other teams pull everyone back so we must of course do the same.

In SCs defence I have to say the free kick routines look bright.

All this is my opinion, you are all entitled to yours.

Edited by BP1960

The box was crowded, zonal defenders push and shove to make room, have less is the box and genuine marking, which appears to be taboo in today's coaching manuals, is my preference.

Also we would would see the return of the lost art of goalkeepers taking crosses, whereas now due to everyone back the are often baulked by their own team mates.

Put a man on either wing near the half way line, one in the middle and watch opponents panic on how to cope, they would actually be more concerned about conceding than scoring from corners.

It wont happen though, SC says most other teams pull everyone back so must of course do the same.

SR SR SR SR SR SR SR!!!!!

From the top of my head...

First goal here - not quite the halfway line but certainly leaving a man/men "up"

Yeah it's a break away goal from winger moving from the edge of their box after the first ball. Croft may be a little further forward but i wouldn't say that's leaving a man up?

The box was crowded, zonal defenders push and shove to make room, having less is the box and genuine marking - which appears to be taboo in today's coaching manuals, is my preference.

Also we would would see the return of the lost art of goalkeepers taking crosses, whereas now due to everyone back they are often baulked by their own team mates.

It wont happen though, SC says most other teams pull everyone back so we must of course do the same.

I share your opinion but am also aware that, on Saturday at least, getting everyone back did indeed work.

Statistically SR's way might be the right way over the course of season (which, I imagine, he'll be more aware of than us).

In isolation, to us watching on wanting us to score, it seems :censored:e....

He did say that leaving 3 men up was an option.......

I share your opinion but am also aware that, on Saturday at least, getting everyone back did indeed work.

Statistically SR's way might be the right way over the course of season (which, I imagine, he'll be more aware of than us).

In isolation, to us watching on wanting us to score, it seems :censored:e....

We have been getting away with it is more my view, the ball keeps coming back into the box and opponents aren't taking advantage.

Not much hope of breakaway goals either like your Everton example is there Harry?

What you are forgetting here is the tactics used by the attacking team at corners.

First of all we don't zonal mark and never have, what happens is each team often like to bunch their big players together before the corner is taken making it harder for a defender to mark them closely and when the corners taken and allows them a better chance of getting a run on the ball its something that we do too. With regards Goalkeepers well see my profile picture of Matt Smiths late goal against Everton and notice James Tarkowski leaning into Tim Howard to stop him claiming the cross. At corners everyone and for good reason should have a man marking/blocking the keeper to stop him claiming the cross that's why most keepers don't come for corners anymore.

Leaving 3 up at a corner will not prevent this infact it would be dangerous a less crowded box will likely lead to one of the opposition more likely to find space and get a header on goal,its also highly unlikely anyone is going to clear the ball to half way from the corner you would have to have some serious neck muscles to head it that far. However 1 up or a couple on the edge of the box to pick up the 2nd ball or spring for a counter attack should be done.