Right let's get this straight

It's not all necessarily bull:censored: though. He might mean what he says and then things change. Life & business are like that.

I think he largely tells it how it is. You/us not liking how it is doesn't mean he's lying.

I'd be better placed to believe that if it didn't happen so often. Things are definitely picking up pace too. Things are 'changing' more and more these days. Maybe that's because he is not as hands on as he used to be, but mistakes are becoming more and more apparent. He's usually good at covering his tracks and deflecting blame, but it's all getting a bit familiar.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be better placed to believe that if it didn't happen so often. Things are definitely picking up pace too. Things are 'changing' more and more these days. Maybe that's because he is not as hands on as he used to be, but mistakes are becoming more and more apparent. He's usually good at covering his tracks and deflecting blame, but it's all getting a bit familiar.

It got a bit familiar a long, long time ago.

It happening so often still doesn't mean he's lying. Probably the opposite....

I was happier when I didn't know he had to find £300k in the next 7 days...

It happening so often still doesn't mean he's lying. Probably the opposite....

Sorry that's the bit I'm not buying. All that I think is happening is that people are calling him out on things more. I'm guessing Rochdale haven't gone public with this just because they're feeling grumpy. I'm guessing that this has happened lots of times before and they've given a few warnings and said, right if you don't pay us next time we'll go public. So all of this isn't just a get at Corney campaign, it's the way he has done business for a while (he thinks its normal to pay people late). It's an accumulation of running a business badly. And yes I know I've used the word guessing and as usual it's something that can't be proved. Hence why he can say what he wants and we have to believe him. I'm not saying he is lying in maliciously, he's just bending the truth enough to make it not look like is fault. It is though, it all comes back to him.

Sorry that's the bit I'm not buying. All that I think is happening is that people are calling him out on things more. I'm guessing Rochdale haven't gone public with this just because they're feeling grumpy. I'm guessing that this has happened lots of times before and they've given a few warnings and said, right if you don't pay us next time we'll go public. So all of this isn't just a get at Corney campaign, it's the way he has done business for a while (he thinks its normal to pay people late). It's an accumulation of running a business badly. And yes I know I've used the word guessing and as usual it's something that can't be proved. Hence why he can say what he wants and we have to believe him. I'm not saying he is lying in maliciously, he's just bending the truth enough to make it not look like is fault. It is though, it all comes back to him.

Mike Keegan tweeted that Rochdale weren't the source of the information.

I've seen enough posts sticking up for him. Highlight something that he has actively done to improve the football club without completely ballsing it up over the last 5 years.

New stand - we're rolling in cash now aren't we. We've been in a much better position financially since it's been built.

Players - we've tried everything from hiring convicts to having no players at all to save wages. Selling sell on fees. Not been too successful and ultimately has lost the club fans.

Managers - to be fair to him he's got it right once in a blue moon in this area, but recently he has made some right clangers.

Investment - managed to get some money of Mike Ashley. Again this has really set us up financially hasn't it? What makes you think his trips to China are going to be any more successful than his recent record of great achievements?

Finance - it's just not happening is it? We've got very few contracted players, we're owing for loan players and owing for ticket sales. All this whilst having the most lucrative sponsorship deal we've ever had and a fancy new stand that creates 24/7 revenue as long as its football related so its probably more like 8 hours every fortnight. If you can't see we're financially crippled then there really isn't any point trying to reason with you.

Promotions (Tickets not actual real promotion to a different league) - OK you could say that he's put on some good promotions to entice fans back? What I'd say is that this has put further financial strain on the club and hasn't been thought out. You can't come up with an idea and then use it as an excuse as to why you can't pay people. The season ticket offer last year smacks of desperation to claw in funds. Again this really can't be proven, and no amount of questions on 'live' video will prove this, but reading between the lines surely you can see this isn't any way to run a successful football club.

OAFC 5 Year Plan by S. Corney

MISTAKE, MISTAKE, CUP RUN, MISTAKE, APOLOGY (but it wasn't me), SCANDAL, MISTAKE, SCANDAL, FINGER POINT, SACK MANAGER, FINGER POINT, MISTAKE, SCANDAL, LOSE MANAGER, SOCIAL MEDIA RANT (but it wasn't me), SACKINGS, SELL SOME LAND, LEND SOME MONEY FROM SCOUSERS, LOSE ANOTHER MANAGER, CUP RUN, FINGERS CROSSED, SCANDAL, POINT AND SACK SOMEONE, repeat until either bust or relegated x5

You can talk all you want about real life and things being delivered late, I know that I've worked at enough places where it has happened and I own my own business. If all we were grumbling about was a few delays then there wouldn't be anything to talk about would there. It's more than that, and if you can't seen that then you're just being an arse. It's got f all to do with the late opening of a stand, it's got everything to do with the collection of failures we've had over the last 3/5 years. You talk about how many people in their jobs have delivered something late because of somebody else? Maybe that's why you side with him? Maybe you're the kind of person who likes deflecting blame too? If I get asked to do something it either happens or it's my fault (at work, but don't ask the wife). I wouldn't point at somebody else.

He's stuck around for quite a few years now, in football everything is never going to be rosy all the time.

The 2008 financial crash must have hit him badly, which affected the club as result.

The only real gripe I have is the poor home record and lack of entertainment.

If this can be resolved this season there's still hope. Even more so if the Chinese connection comes off.

If we go down I'll still purchase season ticket regardless.

In truth the 4 named ‘concerned fans’are just as impotent as Corney and the rest of us – no plan and no investment. As the club lurch from one crisis to the next the club appear to be borrowing money without asking, from clubs with fewer fans than we have. Vociferous concerned fans, patiently loyal fans and stay away fans will have no impact whatsoever in a meeting with Corney. The die is cast, we need a new owner with ambition for the club and an immediate injection (January) of non-returnable funds for on the pitch improvements. And that is a very long shot.

Corney arrived with a plan but not a great deal of money to splash on players but it hardly matters, football is such a thoroughly unreliable and wasteful devourer of capital that there ‘never’ will be a plan or amount of investment that is guaranteed to bring success for any club lower than A-list. Catastrophe is just as likely.

There is no blue print for clubs like Burton and Fleetwood and it is rarely long term. In my time as a fan I have seen us apply for re-election twice and spend three seasons in the top league.

It is my view many football fans are unreasonable in their demands and expectations for their club. Being outside the top four in the Premier League is not good enough for many. It is a fortunate club indeed who have a seriously wealthy fan for its owner. Funding a football club is beyond comprehension to us all.

Corney wants out but there is, not surprisingly, no queue to buy. It is my understanding the club and any of its parts are for sale and the price is negotiable. I, for one can’t identify why a wealthy stranger would take the club on. Meanwhile we are heading into January with Corney ready to launch another survival mission.

Corney may not have any ambition in an upwards direction but he shows no appetite for relegation. I would also guess it is just as likely to be as important to him for any valuation of the club to depend on staying in L1, hence his reluctance to go down.

We are stuffed as a club and as fans and there is only one man in the firing line to be accused. I for one have no appetite for rocking the boat when there is no one else on the planet (to my knowledge) who gives a damn about propping up the club financially - with or without a plan.

It is my view many football fans are unreasonable in their demands and expectations for their club. Being outside the top four in the Premier League is not good enough for many.

Really? If that was the case there are two clubs down the road who most on here could easily get to that provide that. Yet we're still here.

I don't think asking for better than per annum relegation battles from a division which we should be able to compete in is beyond realistic or unreasonable.

If we were mid-table, with the odd season flirting the play-offs I'd consider fans who demanded more as overexpectant. Our current state is understandably frustrating, despite the fact I understand Corney feels a victim of having kept us in this division.

Saying the stand should be open at whatever date and then it not being doesn't mean he has lied.

No, but saying that the money was all in place (more than once) for the stand was a lie. Especially when you consider that it still isn't finished, and doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

No, but saying that the money was all in place (more than once) for the stand was a lie. Especially when you consider that it still isn't finished, and doesn't look like it will be any time soon.

Coming out in the press and saying there is no money for the stand could be commercially damaging. Kicking the can down the road can be vital for keeping contractors interested and the project moving forwards whilst financial arrangements are secured. This is fairly common, football fans have this idea that they should know every detail of a clubs workings but whilst football has become 'business' it just isn't realistic.

In truth the 4 named ‘concerned fans’are just as impotent as Corney and the rest of us – no plan and no investment. As the club lurch from one crisis to the next the club appear to be borrowing money without asking, from clubs with fewer fans than we have. Vociferous concerned fans, patiently loyal fans and stay away fans will have no impact whatsoever in a meeting with Corney. The die is cast, we need a new owner with ambition for the club and an immediate injection (January) of non-returnable funds for on the pitch improvements. And that is a very long shot.

Corney arrived with a plan but not a great deal of money to splash on players but it hardly matters, football is such a thoroughly unreliable and wasteful devourer of capital that there ‘never’ will be a plan or amount of investment that is guaranteed to bring success for any club lower than A-list. Catastrophe is just as likely.

There is no blue print for clubs like Burton and Fleetwood and it is rarely long term. In my time as a fan I have seen us apply for re-election twice and spend three seasons in the top league.

It is my view many football fans are unreasonable in their demands and expectations for their club. Being outside the top four in the Premier League is not good enough for many. It is a fortunate club indeed who have a seriously wealthy fan for its owner. Funding a football club is beyond comprehension to us all.

Corney wants out but there is, not surprisingly, no queue to buy. It is my understanding the club and any of its parts are for sale and the price is negotiable. I, for one can’t identify why a wealthy stranger would take the club on. Meanwhile we are heading into January with Corney ready to launch another survival mission.

Corney may not have any ambition in an upwards direction but he shows no appetite for relegation. I would also guess it is just as likely to be as important to him for any valuation of the club to depend on staying in L1, hence his reluctance to go down.

We are stuffed as a club and as fans and there is only one man in the firing line to be accused. I for one have no appetite for rocking the boat when there is no one else on the planet (to my knowledge) who gives a damn about propping up the club financially - with or without a plan.

Very well put.

The level of football we play is becoming less and less important to me. I'm not saying I want to go down, or I lack ambition. It's bigger than that.

I want a united club that puts the football first. I'm thinking of clubs like Wimbledon and Portsmouth.

I'd like transparency and accountability.

Was it a lie or was it just that the costs of building the stand increased from the original budget and extra money had to be found?

The level of football we play is becoming less and less important to me. I'm not saying I want to go down, or I lack ambition. It's bigger than that.

I want a united club that puts the football first. I'm thinking of clubs like Wimbledon and Portsmouth.

What this man said

Was it a lie or was it just that the costs of building the stand increased from the original budget and extra money had to be found?

I give Corney benefit of a very reasonable doubt on honesty in situations like this. Indeed, it may even have been deliberate added investment to better meet the need of a tenant.

His competency and judgement are fairer game for challenge than his honesty.

This is fairly common, football fans have this idea that they should know every detail of a clubs workings but whilst football has become 'business' it just isn't realistic.

Depends what model a club wants to adopt, I can speak from experience that, even with democratic fan ownership, it ain't all what it's cracked up to be. There is still the tricky problem of the minority steering the majority because, let's face it, most folks just want to turn up and watch football. So the minority are voting on club matters from capex for a new pitch right down to whose turn it is to sell the pumpkin soup and brie crescents. This kind of manufactures an elite group of 'club runners' who think they are better than the rest. Remember the fan-owned and equal one person one vote system? Yeah well it doesn't work too well when there are 1000 regular voters pulling in half a dozen directions - and it still needs someone at the top trying to make sense of it all.

Self-sustainability can work, but it needs a small group of local loyals with the best interests of the club at heart - not an unwieldy democratic system that is too slow and bloated to operate effectively.

Football has become a business, but only those who can afford it to be so. Under these constraints, OAFC and many, many other clubs should have gone to the wall a long time ago.

Operate at the level that can be afforded, if it's National League North, so be it. Can't keep ploughing money into this, it's futile.

Hello Mr Wong. Would you like to invest in Oldham Athletic? No?

OK, chicken satay and fried rice please. And a jumbo sausage.

I have wonderful connections at my local Chinese chippy, I'm sure they will be impressed. SR could order a number 9 while they are there.

Edited by BP1960