Match off!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The met office said it was 5 degrees at about 3pm. Not sure how, as the inch of ice I'd taken off our cats' drinking at about noon had started to reform.

You should have sent the cat to lick the BP pitch affected area till it melted, I'd have thrown some milk on the patch.

Edited by BP1960

I'm baffled about how you think putting water (by definition above freezing point) onto a none frozen pitch with above 0 degrees air could make the pitch freeze. I haven't got a clue what happened but I doubt it overturned the laws of physics.

Wind chill?

Reported temperature is based on sheltered from both sun and wind.

I haven't checked wind speed or prevailing direction though.

My view is that based on the weather forecast they didn't use the covers on the basis that any frost would be well out of the ground come 3pm.

Ref arrives 12 ish , inspects pitch and calls it off because of the a 5 x 5 area not yet defrosted.

Poor on Latics not being properly prepared and also surely the ref should use some common sense.

Knowing at 12.30 when he called it off that Peterborough players would probably be having lunch somewhere close by , did he not ask latics ground staff if the pitch could be made playable in 2 hours + !!!!!

Whatever the truth i know that it would have been totally avoidable.

Yet again though it makes Latics look even more the amateur run club that they are !!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

Another point is I quite enjoyed my afternoon in the warm and cosy surroundings of my home watching Rugby Union and Horse Racing, and could next season become a permanent habit unless the club shapes itself.

Edited by BP1960

Ye good one. Wow

What do you mean good one you absolute delinquent. The club should have ensured that the pitch was okay for the game to play, it's not the referees fault It's the clubs fault. I'm sorry if it breaks your heart but the club is a :censored:show lad and not made out of rainbows. Edited by Kusunga_Is_God

What do you mean good one you absolute delinquent. The club should have ensured that the pitch was okay for the game to play, it's not the referees fault It's the clubs fault. I'm sorry if it breaks your heart but the club is a :censored:show lad and not made out of rainbows.

Haha. You're pathetic.

Both clubs thought pitch would be fine.

People's frustrations are inevitable.

But, going forward, does the club need the fans to raise funds for frost covers (sure I read we only have ones that work to a couple of degrees minus) and anything that will help front of main stand.

Is this something the Trust could look into?

Some good posters on this site. Unfortunately, they're being crowded out by those that like a pathetic squabble on each topic...

True Lee,I've noticed some are being drawn into personal squabbles. Probably myself included in responses to abuse.

Guest nonaenever

I'm baffled about how you think putting water (by definition above freezing point) onto a none frozen pitch with above 0 degrees air could make the pitch freeze. I haven't got a clue what happened but I doubt it overturned the laws of physics.

I`m not a physicist but a mate told me yesterday that you should never water a pitch when the outside temperature is anywhere near freezing. He explained it's not so much the air temperature that matters - the temperature just below ground surface may well still be below freezing even though the air isn't. Therefore the water freezes as it penetrates. He's a horticulturalist - and responsible for looking after a lot of grass surfaces like golf courses and some footy pitches. Sort of made sense to me?

Fail to prepare

Prepare to fail

That part of pitch the stand covers should always be being covered the night (or two) before when the temperatures are set to drop close to or below minus. And arguably the whole pitch should be. Costs nothing to protect your income. Folk can make excuses for the club all they want. You'd think we didn't have a winter every year...we just don't learn from our mistakes. Then blame the fans for our situation. Priceless ?

Edited by boundaryblue80

Fail to prepare

Prepare to fail

That part of pitch the stand covers should always be being covered the night (or two) before when the temperatures are set to drop close to or below minus. And arguably the whole pitch should be. Costs nothing to protect your income. Folk can make excuses for the club all they want. You'd think we didn't have a winter every year...we just don't learn from our mistakes. Then blame the fans for our situation. Priceless ?

And all this with a mild frost, how will we cope when it gets much worse, the next home match in March perhaps

Edited by BP1960

There may of been a reluctance to cover because last year once covered the pitch deteriorated at an alarming rate, I'm staggered it was called off without giving the ground staff time to work on a 5x5 area of the pitch nearly three hours before kick offs, it's not like the weather deteriorated at all yesterday afternoon.

People's frustrations are inevitable.

But, going forward, does the club need the fans to raise funds for frost covers (sure I read we only have ones that work to a couple of degrees minus) and anything that will help front of main stand.

Is this something the Trust could look into?

I'd possibly contribute to something essential like that rather than a scoreboard...

When did the club rip up the under soil heating and who's decision was it?

I don't think under soil heating is worth the cost these days. As far as yesterday goes it would have been a benefit, but on most occasions the surrounding area is deemed too dangerous, even if the pitch is playable. I remember going to Stoke once and the car park was a huge sheet of ice, and the game was on. These days that game would have been canceled before we set off..