Match off!

Why didn't the club call in the ref at 10am? the ref could then have given the ground staff 3 hours to melt the small area of concern , the frost can't have been very deep.

The club (and also Peterborough for that matter) didn't think there was even an issue with the pitch. It was only when the ref turned up and had a walk around he decided it was unsafe to play. No inspection had even been called for.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case the judgement of the groundsman was poor to say the least.

We don't know, as has been mentioned both teams were happy that it would be ready. The ref made a decision. We don't know what the pitch was like. The ref might have been a numbskull. The pitch might have been crap. We don't know. Agree it should never have come to that though.......

This not having a game lark is rather good. Far better seeing Sheridan is about to get the sack and Bury are snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than bemoaning the incompetence of our strikers...

Sheridan loses his next game and he gets the sack I think. Bury in absolute free fall.

It is very disappointing. What's baffling me is the comment that the pitch WAS playable at 9am - the sun has since ascended a little more (realise it's not much ascension at this time of year) and the temperature has gone up slightly - not down. I understand about the large shadows cast by stands BUT nobody seems to be saying any part of the pitch was unplayable at 9am. If that information is correct; you can only reach one logical conclusion i.e. the watering of the pitch has led to this postponement - because, not surprisingly, the water has frozen. IF that's right, that is one rather large cock-up - a real blow to cash-flow and I`m pretty gutted because it's actually a good day for football; nice and still and sunny The commentator at Bury when I was on my way home said the conditions were great and their pitch looked terrific. It's not a million miles away, Bury, is it.

I'm baffled about how you think putting water (by definition above freezing point) onto a none frozen pitch with above 0 degrees air could make the pitch freeze. I haven't got a clue what happened but I doubt it overturned the laws of physics.

I suspect the payment of 300k was it to hmrc ? Would partly of been funded by today's income, never mind the cash we owe to dale and who ever else. I am very worried by the current financial state of the club and think we may struggle to strengthen in January. Plus I think we have to pay Peterborough's expenses now. Ive not done many games this season but I was all ready just about to set off when the need broke.

Some harsh stuff on here today at 7am I fed and watered our horses. Water flowed in hose, gate key unlocked easily, moved a concrete block. Sun was forecast and rising. All looked ok.

30 mins later hose was frozen solid, key was frozen in gate and would not turn and concrete block was rock solid stuck to a flag.

7.30 paddock was soft ground (bark chippings) 11am half of it frozen solid with a white top frost, other in Sun fine. 12.30 all frozen as shade changed. Harsh on groundsman as forecast last night was 5C and Sun all day (had some bricklaying planned) that changed this morning.

Posh releasing info first is tardy....

But what it still frozen at 3pm and could you have taken positive action to unfreeze at 11am?

Edited by BP1960

If I've understood correctly:

1) our guys know that part of the pitch is a problem.

2) at 9am our guys felt that the pitch was playable

3) temperatures were above freezing at all times after 9am

4) at 12.30pm the referee called it off

Either our ground staff have seriously messed up or the referee has.

I don't think we've got it right with overnight covers or activity between 9am and 12.30pm today.